Any Campagnolo 2018 news?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

And a bit more affordable compared to the competition please. Now Campy EPS is way to expensive imho.

lobular

by lobular

EPS battery prices are off the charts!!....I have no idea why they should be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

lobular wrote:EPS battery prices are off the charts!!....I have no idea why they should be.

They are more than just a battery....

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

karmaz wrote:
shamrock134 wrote:
corky wrote:Wireless would be an incremental gain, love my eps but the battery and wiring are a pita.

Is it really that bad?

I'm considering Record EPS soon.

Depends on your frame perhaps. Found Chorus EPS very easy to install, although I must confess to having bought the battery installation tool...

Depends on the mess inside the frame left by the frame maker & whether you have access to the tubes from the BB shell - some frames with a closed barrel on the BB shell are a PITA because you have to run each cable separately around the BB shell "void" and it's not *always* that clean - bits of random fibre, bits of mandrel-bag etc ...

As a guide, I can do EPS cabling in a conventional frame in less than 10 min if the PU is going into the seat tube or inside the seatpost. If it's going into the downtube via a hatch under the BB - about the same, If it's going into the downtube via the head tube (and the viability of that depends a lot on the exact geometry of the frame, frame size and the headset configuration), it might take 20 min ... it's no big deal, really. Even nightmare frames like Specialized S-Works, if you think it out before you crash into the job, and you use the correct tools, you are only looking at 30 min or so. It's not like it's something you are likely to do more than once ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k

by graeme_f_k

corky wrote:
lobular wrote:EPS battery prices are off the charts!!....I have no idea why they should be.

More than half the processing is done inside the PU - it's why we call it a "Power Unit" and not a "Battery" ...

There is only firmware in two places in an EPS system (PU and Interface) rather than dotted about all through the system, and the firmware, within boundaries, is reverse compatible. The levers, FD and RD are virtually completely cross-compatible for version. The only caveats are that post 2015 FDs will not work with v1 PUs (the other way around is fine) and that Record / Super Record can't be mixed with Athena / Chorus.
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

roadhog44

by roadhog44

EPS Was a cinch (and rather enjoyable) to install into my Ridley Helium SL. I made my own battery tool for the seatpost mounting from an old radio aerial :thumbup:

2018 Campag?? I'd love to see the name Croce D' Aune on some Campag range once again. Think next year will be the 30th anniversary of CDA?? Whats not to like!! :beerchug:

wingguy

by wingguy

graeme_f_k wrote:
corky wrote:

More than half the processing is done inside the PU - it's why we call it a "Power Unit" and not a "Battery" ...

But is that a benefit for the consumer? If you have a problem with the battery outside of warranty you could be left having to pay for a whole bunch of complicated and expensive electronics that were working fine anyway in order to replace what should be a simple and straightforward part, no? Why package it all together if you don't need to.

Especially since the interface is also twice as expensive as a DI2 junction box, even though so much of the processing is in the battery...

graeme_f_k

by graeme_f_k

wingguy wrote:
graeme_f_k wrote:
corky wrote:

But is that a benefit for the consumer? If you have a problem with the battery outside of warranty you could be left having to pay for a whole bunch of complicated and expensive electronics that were working fine anyway in order to replace what should be a simple and straightforward part, no? Why package it all together if you don't need to.

Especially since the interface is also twice as expensive as a DI2 junction box, even though so much of the processing is in the battery...

Yes, there is a benefit to the consumer - almost complete reverse compatibility and two less breaks in the wiring loom - the breaks in the wiring loom constitute possible points of failure / water leakage so that in practice we have found (and although we contract to Campagnolo I work at high level on everbody's systems) less problems with wiring loom issues in Campagnolo than Shimano.

Battery issues are almost non-existent so long as you look after the battery - OK, if you really abuse the battery, you can kill it, it's true - but one would hope that someone buying product at this level would take the time to understand how to look after the product and take the time / spend the money to maintain it.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

How would you define 'looking after' a battery?

morrisond

by morrisond

Has anyone seen Campy Disc for sale anywhere yet? Potenza should be out by now.

robertbb

by robertbb

Apparently, from another thread (mine), Campy is about to drop medium cage rear derailleurs in the C/R/SR line.

There does seem to be a massive discount on Campy 11 mechanical stuff on one particular British online store - I wonder if this is an indication of more significant changes on the way?

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

robertbb wrote:Apparently, from another thread (mine), Campy is about to drop medium cage rear derailleurs in the C/R/SR line.

There does seem to be a massive discount on Campy 11 mechanical stuff on one particular British online store - I wonder if this is an indication of more significant changes on the way?

On Chicken Cycle Kit (British wholesaler) medium cage derailleurs appear on the C/R/SR line, so they are likely coming very soon.

Availability for Centaur was said by BikeRumor was said to be early June, so I assume the other parts can't be too far off either.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Super Record HO Rear Derailleur, $100 more expensive than regular Super Record.
CRC has no images yet. Maybe someone here can give us more details and pics.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... prod161450

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

ome rodriguez wrote:Super Record HO Rear Derailleur, $100 more expensive than regular Super Record.
CRC has no images yet. Maybe someone here can give us more details and pics.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... prod161450

A whole bunch of new Campy stuff listed on CRC here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/e ... olo?f=2248

All out of stock though, no dates listed.

robertbb

by robertbb

No new medium cage derailleur in that link... :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com