Campagnolo TOOLS UT-FC220 - Over-Torque crankset assembly and disassembly tool

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moccacaffee

by moccacaffee

Hi All,

I'm looking for a Campagnolo TOOLS UT-FC220 - Over-Torque crankset assembly and disassembly tool. Most of the online shops are out of stock. Can anybody help me to find a web shop has that tool in stock? I'm live in Shanghai, China so any web shop willing do the international online sale are welcome thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ab01ns

by ab01ns

Just get a bike shop to do it. The crank and BB are so bombproof you will only have to remove it once every year or so. It's also very important to do it right. Follow this guide to the letter if you do it yourself and be very careful. The most important thing to remember is that the splines on the axle and the NDS arm MUST BE LEVEL. That's how you verify the crank is seated properly. Then you set preload.

Here

You don't need the expanding ring thingy, and it is kinda prone to breaking. I replaced it with a bunch of plastic bb30 shims and a wave washer. Works just as well and is more bomb proof.
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

alistaird

by alistaird

Last I looked there were a few on eBay out of the USA. I found on in the UK with the help of Graeme on this forum. I think there were one or two in Spain on some on-line shops. Shipping isn't cheap as the tool is substantial.

A

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

ferrarista

by ferrarista

If you're lucky to find one buy it asap. That tool is discontinued and apparently no longer made at Campy from what I was told.
I'm sure a company like VAR or Parktools will come out with something later on.

I don't know what Campy was thinking coming out with the overtorque crankset and first gen powertorque. Overtorque is really the worst I've seen.
If they wanted to do an oversize axle, they could just have done the ultra-torque with 30mm shaft or do something like powertorque 30mm aluminum shaft and self extracting bolt like the new Potenza.
██

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

ferrarista wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:44 am
If you're lucky to find one buy it asap. That tool is discontinued and apparently no longer made at Campy from what I was told.
I'm sure a company like VAR or Parktools will come out with something later on.

I don't know what Campy was thinking coming out with the overtorque crankset and first gen powertorque. Overtorque is really the worst I've seen.
If they wanted to do an oversize axle, they could just have done the ultra-torque with 30mm shaft or do something like powertorque 30mm aluminum shaft and self extracting bolt like the new Potenza.
For info to anyone coming across this rather old thread now ... The tools have been re-issued and Service Centres / distributors can once again order them from the factory.

The reason for going the route that they did, was that the expanding ring system and the completely fixed position of the cranks relative to the length of the axle rigidly fixes the position of the bearings so there is absolutely no way that they can "walk", a theoretical risk with UT / PT. The BB30 standard really requires an alloy axle (steel would push the weight of the assembly up too far to make the project viable and Ti would drive the costs up and produce conflicts elsewhere in the range) and using a Hirth joint as in "standard" UT was regarded as difficult. A one-key release mechanism is difficult to do in carbon if you want to keep the Q and U factors of the cranks the same as UT - part of the reason why PT came into being without one, originally. There are ways it can be done as MY2017 Potenza shows but that is a full alloy crank.

There's nothing wrong in engineering terms with either of these systems, I have run both for a long time, pre-production up to now and around half of our demo fleet are on PT cranks. If they are properly assembled and if the tools that have always been recommended are used, rather than some of the junk I have seen people trying to use to pull the cranks, they go together and come apart (on the rare occasions when they need to come apart) with no more difficulty than square taper.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

ferrarista

by ferrarista

That's good to know they decided to re-issue the tool. People were worried they would be stuck with their cranks not being able to remove it. The FC220 plastic body breaks easily too. I heard lots of people snapping them.
My problem with those designs is that you need tools specific to the crankset which are not cheap. The Over torque install/extract tool was almost 200$ with taxes here in Canada. When they came out with Power torque, they didn't even have a tool to extract the crank arm. I've seen my fair share of damaged crank arms lol. The best tool I've seen for the power torque is from VAR. Looks like the over torque ,but all metal and can be used for carbon and aluminum. The Parktool one is crap.

Campy engineers should try to stay with the KISS principal.
██

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

greame is correct of course. if the proper tools are used properly P-T, u-T and O-T assemble and disassemble just fine. The problems do come when bodge tools are used and like greame I have power torque cranks myself and like them alot. The bearings in the BB last. shimano HTII BB bearing dont last when for XTR or DA BB's and I have destroyed the splines on an XTR crankset and a few weeks ago I noticed the preload cap had escaped again the the NDS crank arm was starting to walk out. I wont be buying HTII cranks again.

The KISS approach is fine if you accept the design compromises it entails. There are advanatges to the camapognolo's way of doing things it is not just to make things difficult.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com