EW-WU111 with a SM-BTR2 battery for only ANT+?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

I have Ultegra 6870 Di2 on a couple bikes with the SM-BTR2 internal battery on both. I'd like to get battery % displayed on my head unit. I'm OK not having Bluetooth. I don't care about synchro-shift.

If I'm spending the money on a couple EW-Wxxxx, I'd prefer to get the latest EW-WU111, BUT not have to spring for 2 new BT-DN110 batteries.

My question is, will the EW-WU111 still transmit ANT+ (only) hooked up to the 'old' (jeez) battery?
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

should do

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

If you're not going to get the new battery, it's pointless getting the newer D-Fly unit. Just buy the old one. Its cheaper. (Unless you wanted the new inline D-Fly?)
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

kode54

by kode54

i can't believe how expensive upgrading just the D-Fly and batteries to get just a few features added.

i suppose it'll make life easy to update firmware from a non-PC user. i haven't updated anything since i bought the Di2 second gen years ago...so i'm not even sure what's up to date and what's not. just knowing will give me peace of mind. i will probably wait a few months and see if both items will be discounted after the initial wave of upgrading takes place. i have 3 bikes that need it...and thinking that one will get a complete makeover with new 9150.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

@Gearhead65, yes, should work fine like that. AS others have said, go for the cheapest EW-W unit you can find.

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

Thanks all for replies.

I am a bit on the fence of just getting the cheapest/old SM-EWW01. It's tempered by seeing posts regarding reliability and battery drain issues with this original one. So a 20 buck-ish premium to avoid those potential issues may be worth that. And I ever DO want BT, I can upgrade the battery and be good to go already on the D-fly.

...and everything x 2 bikes.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

i wouldn't get the old one as its pretty unreliable.. get the new one and if you want the other stuff your already future proofed

jj911c2

by jj911c2

The EW-WU111 will not work with the SM-BTR2. You will get an incompatible device warning in the eTube software and you will not be able to change gears (removing the EW-WU111 will restore normal operation). I tried it on a Ultegra 6870 bike this weekend and have ordered the new battery to get it fully operational.

I have another bike with the full 9150 setup (including EW-WU111) and it is nice being able to change garmin screens, start/stop the lap timer, etc with the hood buttons on the shifters (especially in the winter time with thick gloves on that render the 820 touch screen pretty unusable). You can also see the gear positions on the Garmin but I have not found a use for that.

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

jj911c2 wrote:The EW-WU111 will not work with the SM-BTR2. You will get an incompatible device warning in the eTube software and you will not be able to change gears (removing the EW-WU111 will restore normal operation). I tried it on a Ultegra 6870 bike this weekend and have ordered the new battery to get it fully operational.

I have another bike with the full 9150 setup (including EW-WU111) and it is nice being able to change garmin screens, start/stop the lap timer, etc with the hood buttons on the shifters (especially in the winter time with thick gloves on that render the 820 touch screen pretty unusable). You can also see the gear positions on the Garmin but I have not found a use for that.

Thank you for the reply. Glad to see an actual of somebody that tried this, even if it's not the news I wanted to hear.
Tough call of buying a couple older, unreliable d-fly's only, versus having to spend the extra money to replace two (2) perfectly good batteries.
Shimano is not "winning friends and influencing people" with this move.
3rd choice....leave as is for another couple years then switch to eTap.

kode54

by kode54

yeah, the cost of the batteries is a bit much especially if the batteries are still good. hard to justify the cost just to a few features.

although i'm thinking that maybe i should spring for one battery and the EW-WU111, update the firmware on each of the bikes...and maybe just change one bike with all new 9150 and i'm done.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Not sure why the old D-Fly is deemed 'unreliable'? I have them on several bikes (and hidden in seat tube at that) and working fine.

Also got the new one paired up with a new battery on a new build. Guess I'll be able to compare....
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp