Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:41 am 

With DA out in 2017, Di2 dominating electronic shifting and Sram going wireless, Campa is under pressure and has lost lots of market share. And FSA and Rotor are also entering the market to boot.

I own and love post-2015 S/R, but EPS (while beautiful) seems to be getting on a bit, is typically super expensive and arguably not as refined as Di2. Surely it's due an overhaul?

So....do you think there is a chance Campa will claw back some of the lost terrain and amaze us with an awesome groupset or two... and if so when is that likely to be?

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:41 am 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:15 am 

What makes you think Campag are losing market share.....can you cite a source for this or is it just a feeling you have?

CAmpagnolo has always done what it wants to.....e.g. Websites and magazines were exclaiming the release of disc brakes over a year ago.......still crickets....

Maybe your perception is that Shimano is leaping ahead of the big C, mine is that Campagnolo doesn't believe it has to follow a release cycle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:47 pm 

corky wrote:
What makes you think Campag are losing market share.....can you cite a source for this or is it just a feeling you have?

CAmpagnolo has always done what it wants to.....e.g. Websites and magazines were exclaiming the release of disc brakes over a year ago.......still crickets....

Maybe your perception is that Shimano is leaping ahead of the big C, mine is that Campagnolo doesn't believe it has to follow a release cycle.

In groupset electronics, yes...............in the years that leads still not available remote satellite shifters buttons (type Blips, SW-R600, sprinter)..........................

for here in Spain for example, more eTap (1 year marketed +/-) that EPS (more years)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:08 pm 

I think what Campagnolo are lacking in EPS is... hype. Shimano is all about little electronic add-ons and long-winded forum discussions about cable junctions and firmware upgrades. Sram is always shouty and they can shout wireless! Meanwhile EPS just works... the basics are excellent.

As an EPS user for a couple of years my wish list would be for Campag to unify on one type of cable connectors; I suppose for the charge port to be more resistant to clumsy fingers, I suppose satellite switches for those that want them, and to bring EPS v3 features downrange. Longer-term they probably do need to do something about wireless connection as people seem so impressed about that (although it's only relevant in the set-up phase).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:41 pm 

Last May THIS story appeared but I've not seen anything about it since.

I've several bikes with EPS now and done two full race seasons with it. Flawless shifting (although I still love the feel of the mechanical Campag groups.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:36 am 
in the industry

it works until it goes awol.. then its a PIA, the spaghetti monster has to come out and be sent off..
the v3 seems better but i think they have dropped the ball a bit with the new junction as its big and there is nothing you can do to make it less obvious.
Campag still make the greatest mechanical groupset on the planet but i personally would not use EPS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:50 am 

Really enjoying EPS so far. I have tried DI2 briefly and i dont see any significant improvements over the EPS offering besides the junction box.

Cant say i wouldn't mind them going wireless so i can upgrade my trust RXR Ulteam.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:50 am