Rotor 3D+ on a Canyon Aeroad (BB86) frame, easy peasy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Tired trying to get hold of a Quarq SRAM power meter (165mm) for the missus' bike, and she likes Q rings so thinking to stick a 3D+ MAS Inpower on her bike. Should be okay? Just get a BB30 press fit and use different bearings?

https://www.mantel.com/uk/rotor-pf4630& ... oCHJDw_wcB

And use these?

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Rotor/ ... tAodEkEAQQ

Or would you say hold out for the Quarq SRAM and stick Q rings on it? Might look offkey, Q Rings on a SRAM Red arm. Not many pics going around.

Anyone have a decent pic of an Aeroad with Rotor/Q Rings on? Only saw a few poor shots so far on INS and Google.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Do a search.
There's quite a big thread on here and elsewhere about doing this.
If you want to be changing bearings every 5 minutes then go ahead.
BB86 is a PF hollowtech 2, so to get 30mm bearings in, somethings got to give (in this case bearing size).

Buy either a shimano chainset and use Pioneer, or rotor 3d24 and a P2Max.
Official cafe stop tester

Attermann

by Attermann

I have run a praxis chainset on my winter/rain bike, it too has a 30 mm axle, it has run for 2 years and seen some foul weather, lots of rain and salt, no problem with the bearings at all, still runs very smooth

Fixie82

by Fixie82

The Rotor BB from mantel.com is the wrong type its a 4630 for ID 46mm BB shells. BB86 is a ID 41mm shell, the Sigma Sport linked BB is correct being a 4130.

I would recommend a BB from either Hope - excellent quality 4130 pressfit with good seals or something from HSC, Kogel, CBear, Aita, Enduro ect.

Get the best quality you can afford, the tighter the tolerances the better the BB will perform and last longer. Get the BB faced so you know everything will align properly as with the smaller bearing size they won't deal with being out of alignment as well.

If you install correctly there will be no issues, same as any other BB standard.

Oh and stay away from RaceFace stuff.

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks Fixie, I actually took those links from advice given on another forum when I was researching this. Glad I asked here or could have made a mistake! Actually feel a bit put off the idea though now, and maybe will hold out for Quarq. But if I go for it I'll heed your advice on the bearings.

Shrike

by Shrike

Back on this again, about to order this bottom bracket:

http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/shop/ ... 01938&fo=1

Any objections to it fitting the Aeroad's BB86 shell with the BB30 Rotor Inpower meter? :P

fitty4

by fitty4

I also have a bb86 and also thought about buying a bb30 crank but decided not to. If I was to do it I would stay away from rotor bottom brackets, I had a rotor BB but a bsa and wasn't impressed. I have read numerous durability issues with rotor BB and also Fixie doesn't have rotor on his list :)

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I have the 4130 on my Aeroad with Ceramicspeed BB. Works perfectly.

carbonLORD.com

superdx

by superdx

Was looking for confirmation as well, I also have a BB30 Quarq Elsa and maybe installing into a PF86 frame in the near future.

Searching in the forums didn't find anything. First thread to actually confirm everything!

calvin

by calvin

No problem also here. I am using 3D+ crank on my Aeroad with Tripeak BB
FXKalvis15 code at @montonsports

Shrike

by Shrike

Any pics calvin?

Rare to see Rotors on Aeroads..

Thanks carbonlord, that looks beast :P

NoMütze

by NoMütze

one thing you have to consider is internal cable routing...
most or even all PF86 BBs for 30mm don't have a sleeve inside.
so you should check (or hack) clearance and non-rubbing of cables inside the frame-BB area.

Shrike

by Shrike

Good thinking, her bike has eTap though so no worries with the cables thankfully.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fixie82

by Fixie82

That velotech link is the correct BB. As fitty4 said, I didn't have Rotor on my list. They are ok but seem like a mixed bag durability wise even with tight seals.

A little bit of hot glue will keep cables out of the way or you can fashion your own sleeve.