Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:06 am
Posts: 1009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Some top tyres tested in the lab and on the road.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ted-49101/


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

_________________
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done


Last edited by Ozrider on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 am
Posts: 145
Location: Hampshire, England
Interesting read that. Thanks for the link.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:48 pm 


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 984
More data using to make your head spin using same test methodology www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 am
Posts: 264
Is it being pushed by the industry or tubeless tires really roll better?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:44 pm
Posts: 64
Have anyone seen rolling resistence test between various tire widths and preassures? I really would love to see for example comparison of one model of a tire with 23, 25 and 28 mm widths (Gp4000 S2 for ex.) with tire pressures from 4 to 10 bars. Every test Ive seen so far was for 25 mm tires.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 am
Posts: 145
Location: Hampshire, England
mpulsiv wrote:
More data using to make your head spin using same test methodology http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ke-reviews


This shows how close things are`;

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... eless-2016


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm
Posts: 252
Location: Lower Saxony - Germany
madik wrote:
Have anyone seen rolling resistence test between various tire widths and preassures? I really would love to see for example comparison of one model of a tire with 23, 25 and 28 mm widths (Gp4000 S2 for ex.) with tire pressures from 4 to 10 bars. Every test Ive seen so far was for 25 mm tires.


Here: http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... i-23-25-28

But instead of 28mm tires on a 17c rim, you should use a 21c rim with a 25mm tire (real width 28mm): Less weight and the tire will be stiffer and you can run the same low pressure as on 28mm tires. AND no squishy ride, still feels like a road bike and rolls great, even on bad roads.

_________________
Infos on wide tires, rims and aerodynamics


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:44 pm
Posts: 64
Beaver wrote:
madik wrote:
Have anyone seen rolling resistence test between various tire widths and preassures? I really would love to see for example comparison of one model of a tire with 23, 25 and 28 mm widths (Gp4000 S2 for ex.) with tire pressures from 4 to 10 bars. Every test Ive seen so far was for 25 mm tires.


Here: http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... i-23-25-28

But instead of 28mm tires on a 17c rim, you should use a 21c rim with a 25mm tire (real width 28mm): Less weight and the tire will be stiffer and you can run the same low pressure as on 28mm tires. AND no squishy ride, still feels like a road bike and rolls great, even on bad roads.


Wonderful thanks! My rims have 17,9mm internal width and with 28mm GP4kS2 the real tire width is 32mm! But I really cant see a problem with that. 21mm rims like these i just spotted would be great tho for sure. Mabe some day because I already have theirs rims :)
https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicyc ... lable.html


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 201
mpulsiv wrote:
More data using to make your head spin using same test methodology http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ke-reviews



A lot of data on bicyclerollingresistance.com contradicts the testing in the BikeRadar test. Just at a glance, the Vittoria Corsa came out as one of the slowest tyres in the BR test, but BRR.com has it as one of the fastest.

_________________
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 984
madik wrote:
Beaver wrote:
madik wrote:
Have anyone seen rolling resistence test between various tire widths and preassures? I really would love to see for example comparison of one model of a tire with 23, 25 and 28 mm widths (Gp4000 S2 for ex.) with tire pressures from 4 to 10 bars. Every test Ive seen so far was for 25 mm tires.


Here: http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... i-23-25-28

But instead of 28mm tires on a 17c rim, you should use a 21c rim with a 25mm tire (real width 28mm): Less weight and the tire will be stiffer and you can run the same low pressure as on 28mm tires. AND no squishy ride, still feels like a road bike and rolls great, even on bad roads.


Wonderful thanks! My rims have 17,9mm internal width and with 28mm GP4kS2 the real tire width is 32mm! But I really cant see a problem with that. 21mm rims like these i just spotted would be great tho for sure. Mabe some day because I already have theirs rims :)
https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicyc ... lable.html


Interesting metrics you got. My rim is wider than yours at 19.9 mm (internal) and my 28 mm Continental GP 4000s measure 30mm. You should check your caliper for accuracy.

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:44 pm
Posts: 64
mpulsiv wrote:
Interesting metrics you got. My rim is wider than yours at 19.9 mm (internal) and my 28 mm Continental GP 4000s measure 30mm. You should check your caliper for accuracy.


In the test which Beaver posted is meassured width 31mm for a 17C rim (17 mm I assume) with the 28mm Conties. So there might be someting smelly with you meassuring equipment :)
Anyway the tires might be streching out a little after some miliage. Mine are almost wore out.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 am
Posts: 145
Location: Hampshire, England
Mine are Conti 4000s II 25mm on Mavic Pro Carbon SL C's and they come up at 28.2mm.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm
Posts: 252
Location: Lower Saxony - Germany
More real measurements: viewtopic.php?f=3&p=1283966#p1270126

_________________
Infos on wide tires, rims and aerodynamics


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:50 pm
Posts: 254
I do not like the feel of 25mm tyres on my 17C Bora clinchers, they just feel and look (27.5 mm inflated to 85/90 psi, although I did measure one worn set at 26.8 which was odd but they were a few years old so maybe a different manufacturing process) too big. 23mm tyres (GP4000Sii = 25.3 mm inflated to 90/95 psi, Michelin Power Competition = 24.8 mm) feel fastest on them and most comfortable. I am using 25mm tyres on my narrow 15C Shamals purely because they do have more grip on wet / cruddy roads but I don't like the feel on high speed descents on dry roads, too much movement, the Boras on 23mm's are amazing. I run the 23mm tyres at 90 psi front and 95 psi rear.
Surely the point is what external tyre width is best not what it says on the label. a 23 mm tyre on a wider (17C+) rim is wide. 10 years ago a 25C tyre on a normal 13c/15c rim was considered huge!
For me the 25mm's were too wide and even if I could fit them the 23mm's are plenty comfortable enough as more aero so pretty much perfect on the Boras, but the point being that a 23mm on a 17C rim is pretty much a 25 on a 17C rim, just more stable.
All measurement with a UKAS certified caliper!!

_________________
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm
Posts: 252
Location: Lower Saxony - Germany
As stated in the test: Just pick what you need. Light rider with good roads 23mm on e.g. 19c rim, heavy rider on bad roads 25mm on 21c rim. Then try different tire pressures until you find your best compromise of comfort and speed.

_________________
Infos on wide tires, rims and aerodynamics


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Bikeradar Tyre Test
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:36 pm 


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Caad12 tyre clearance

in Road

Devotional1993

2

2003

Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:11 pm

mpulsiv View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Tyre pressure opinions please.

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

JScycle

21

1685

Sat May 20, 2017 10:42 am

JScycle View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Ride characteristics of a tubeless 23c tyre

in Road

Tommo

0

165

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:02 pm

Tommo View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Colnago C60 rear tyre clearance

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

wedgie

43

4418

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:45 pm

jimaizumi View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Could a rim cause this sort of damage to a tube and tyre? [PIC]

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

Shrike

29

1896

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:49 am

tarmackev View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alorast, charmette1261, elzilcho, sawyer and 47 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited