Campagnolo compatible Direct Mount Bottom Bracket Brake Suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

J.v.S.

by J.v.S.

Dear all,

I'm currently running a Tektro direct mount bottom bracket "brake" (Tektro T552 - I think) with Campagnolo Record (latest generation) levers. The braking performance is quite bad and I suspect this may be due to a compatibility issues with the cable pull ratio of the Record levers and the Tektro brake.

I am now trying to find other options for a direct mount bottom bracket brake that would actually work with Campagnolo. I am aware that the Cane Creek EE brakes would be a nice option and should work, but I was hoping that there may be cheaper alternatives to be had.

Thanks a lot for your recommendations!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carlcurry

by carlcurry

I can't speak to pricing, but here is the obvious choice for proper function

https://www.excelcycle.com/products/cam ... fgodKiUL0A

i have Campagnolo direct mounts on a Domane SLR (not under BB though), work just fine.
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

J.v.S.

by J.v.S.

Thanks carlcurry for the quick reply!
I have tried those already but while they are advertised as an under BB option I was not really happy with the clearance to the chainrings at all. A real pity because the Campagnolo DM front brakes are absolutely fantastic as such. Note to self: Never EVER buy an under BB brake frame again ...

Stefano

by Stefano

The EE direct mount brakes are excellent. As are Shimano (running DA under BB mount with Record levers). Plenty of good options for under BB mounting!

Edit: the Tektro 750 R are also a better brake than the 552 if you want to stay with that brand. I still prefer shimano

kode54

by kode54

Stefano wrote:The EE direct mount brakes are excellent. As are Shimano (running DA under BB mount with Record levers). Plenty of good options for under BB mounting!

Edit: the Tektro 750 R are also a better brake than the 552 if you want to stay with that brand. I still prefer shimano

yes. i've got EE direct mount brakes on my Parlee ESX Shimano shift levers. not sure how the pull ratio on the Campy are in comparison...but the EE brakes feel solid when braking.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

J.v.S.

by J.v.S.

Dear all,

A couple of days after I had posted my initial questions, I got a call from my LBS telling me that he had just received a Campagnolo Record Direct Mount under BB rear brake (see pictures below for parts number and further details).

I have now installed the brakes and have to say that I am really very, very happy with the braking performance. Clearances around the brake as you can see below are tight. Adjusting the brake on the drive side is nip and tuck really. I'm not sure if a crank-based powermeter like Stages would actually fit on the non-driveside as there are only about 3-4 mm between the inside of the crank and the cable retention screw.

Thanks for all your answers above and happy riding everyone!
Attachments
Brake adjustment - drive side
Brake adjustment - drive side
Brake seen from below
Brake seen from below
Clearance on the non-drive side
Clearance on the non-drive side
Box with parts number etc.
Box with parts number etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓