The $75 265g integrated handlebar stem experiment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

I'd like to try those canyon ones that are $108 on ebay. What computer mount hooks up with them? Wonder if there's an insert I can use with my ELEMNT.
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

AttacknowAttackoften wrote:I'd like to try those canyon ones that are $108 on ebay. What computer mount hooks up with them? Wonder if there's an insert I can use with my ELEMNT.

Link?

I have the Cervelo lookalikes. Very happy with them. Owned them for 1.5 years.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

LeDuke wrote:
AttacknowAttackoften wrote:I'd like to try those canyon ones that are $108 on ebay. What computer mount hooks up with them? Wonder if there's an insert I can use with my ELEMNT.

Link?

I have the Cervelo lookalikes. Very happy with them. Owned them for 1.5 years.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ebay link removed
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

Roni1

by Roni1

I have the same ones and have broken two in the past 18 months. One time I hit a pot hole and did not crash but cracked both carbon rims and broke the bars right above where the lever clamps. Then I bought another set and wanted to really test it so I pulled up and pushed down as hard as I could while mounted to my bike and after a few efforts they started cracking same place. Even after those experiences, I bought two more sets, call me crazy

tomtom

by tomtom

You're damn crazy! Why should you do that.....they are clearly rubish?!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

KarlC

by KarlC

AttacknowAttackoften wrote:
LeDuke wrote:

Id really like to know the stem angle on this bar.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: eBay link removed
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Roni1 wrote:I have the same ones and have broken two in the past 18 months. One time I hit a pot hole and did not crash but cracked both carbon rims and broke the bars right above where the lever clamps. Then I bought another set and wanted to really test it so I pulled up and pushed down as hard as I could while mounted to my bike and after a few efforts they started cracking same place. Even after those experiences, I bought two more sets, call me crazy

Are you talking about these integrated bar/stem combo or the Cervelo copies?

KC

by KC

I think the discussion started on one type of combo bar and morphed into another. It's hard to know which version they are discussing now. The original post was about a Bontrager knock off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Any more longer term experience with the Bontrager 1 piece clones?

Roni1

by Roni1

dereksmalls wrote:
Roni1 wrote:I have the same ones and have broken two in the past 18 months. One time I hit a pot hole and did not crash but cracked both carbon rims and broke the bars right above where the lever clamps. Then I bought another set and wanted to really test it so I pulled up and pushed down as hard as I could while mounted to my bike and after a few efforts they started cracking same place. Even after those experiences, I bought two more sets, call me crazy

Are you talking about these integrated bar/stem combo or the Cervelo copies?

China integrated

C36

by C36

Hi Roni1, Any pictures to see how they break? Ever tried to cut one to see if they broke at a junction between 2 pieces?
Curious if it's something we could reinforce with it the same way we repair a damaged carbon frame.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

motorapido

by motorapido

I've just received my set of the Canyon copies, they are pretty good copies come complete with top cap with moulded in canyon logo and aero spacers and 1 1/4" to 1 1/8" shims will post up some pics and weights tomorrow.

KarlC

by KarlC

motorapido wrote:I've just received my set of the Canyon copies, they are pretty good copies come complete with top cap with moulded in canyon logo and aero spacers and 1 1/4" to 1 1/8" shims will post up some pics and weights tomorrow.

Can you post a link to them, also what degree would you say the stem is ?

Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

stockae92

by stockae92

I do not like the idea of "experiment" for stem and handlebar ... :p

alcatraz

by alcatraz

May I ask if you're a heavy guy?

I'm 64kg and I've been jumping and going quite fierce out of saddle with these bars, as well as 1-2 times the bike parked against the curb suddenly blows over on it's side with these bars hitting the pavement. 400/90 is the smallest size and should be the one that produces the least leverage. That might explain it.

Maybe it's a weight/size issue?

/a

Edit: When I got them the feel was strange because they were so much lower than my previous bars where I had a flipped 7 degree stem. Now I'm already used to the new position and I feel faster. What helped a lot was to do some good stretching to allow the body to feel more comfortable in that race position.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com