The $75 265g integrated handlebar stem experiment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

arnoldagdagan wrote:Image

Is that sucker zeroed out properly? The measured head tube angle looks a little whacky in your pic.

golfsierra

by golfsierra

tarmackev wrote:
golfsierra wrote:I took a chance and ordered a set of the Bontrager clones. Came wrapped in plastic as seen below...
Quality control is so shit I can't even get the thing to mount onto my steerer. Utter shit.

Where were these purchased from if you don't mind saying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purchased on eBay from 99% approval seller with 2000+ Feedback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

I warned you in the initial post about the steerer interface. Mine went on with some carbon paste and a little persuasion. That method of packaging is pretty normal for carbon bars coming from China.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

lamphead

by lamphead

Glepore- can you comment if the bar width/stem length/reach/drop are accurate to what is posted by the manufacturer? Does your bar have a drop/reach of 120mm/90mm or 120mm/85mm? For the width, did they measure from the edge of the bar or from the center of the bar arms? And is the stem length measured from the center of the fork hole to the top edge of the handlebar or center of the handlebar?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

why does the eBay links keep getting edited out...

I might want to compare since I actually have H11 bars from Canyon
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

glepore

by glepore

@ lamphead-will measure for you tonight. For now, I can tell you that coming from bars with 120/85 and a 90mm Uno, the position on the 90mm version feels identical.
Last edited by glepore on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

lamphead

by lamphead

@glepore- Thanks- really appreciate it. You've got me thinking hard about buying this integrated bar/stem. I'm seeing different measurements (125mm/80mm or 120mm/90mm) from the various vendors, so- curious to see what are your actual measurements. And- if you could comment if your bar is a 400mm/90mm or something else- that'd be great.

Do I need one of these- hell no... :D But- it would be sweet if it fits.

glepore

by glepore

Lamphead-120/85, 40, all measurements are c/c including stem length. I measured on taped/built bars, so the tolerances might be a little off, but that certainly seems right.

lamphead

by lamphead

Thanks Glepore- much appreciated!!

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

spdntrxi wrote:why does the eBay links keep getting edited out...

snip...

Forum rules my friend. No ebay links.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

kidrob

by kidrob

Are there any more experiences with this product in the meantime? Any breaks, warnings, damages or such?

hidefguy

by hidefguy

I got the Canyon H11 clone and it was installed April 5. I have 1000 miles on it, so far so good. Stiffness is ok not as stiff as my Most handlebar it replaced but quite lighter at 370grams I bought size 41/100.

chefczyk

by chefczyk

Interesting - looks really aero...

lamphead

by lamphead

Ok folks- after a very, very long 22 day wait- my integrated handlebar from Aliexpress finally showed up. I ordered the 40cm/9cm version, and the measurements are pretty close- 9cm was accurate for the stem (c to c) and the bar was 40cm (c to c).

The bar was well wrapped in bubble wrap, but- no box. I want to be clear- the bar wasn't damaged from shipping, I just took the pic after I started to claw the wrapping apart.

Note the bar that I received had some "misc graphics" instead of the generic or blank version. Not quite what I asked for- but- we'll see if it's worth the time to take off with some acetone. As indicated on the bar- this one did indeed measure in at 120/85. Weight with the stock bolts came in at 255 grams, and dropped to 252 grams with 2 ti bolts. I remove the bolt from the Blendr hole and just covered it up with black electrical tape. Fitting the bar onto the fork was very tight- I definitely had a bit of carbon powder come off the fork. Took a quick spin on the bike with the new bar, and it feels very solid with very little flex.

@chefczyk- the bar is only "aero" at the stem. The actual handlebar grips are round, so- likely no aero benefit there.
@glepore and others that bought this bar and provided feedback- a big thank you for pointing out this potential "weight weenie gem"- assuming you have your dimensions dialed in.
Assuming the integrated bar doesn't spontaneously shatter from a ill gaze or excessive sunlight- it seems like a great buy and very well built bar. I think this will become the next low weight/high value "uno stem" or "hylix carbon seatpost." :beerchug:
Attachments
bar weight.jpg
wrapped bar.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Yeah, I have around 2k miles on mine without issue, really like the bar. I do miss the flat tops a bit, but its worth the weight savings.