Shamal Mille C17 vs DT-Swiss PR1400 Oxic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I'm in doubt between these 2 sets.
Esthetically I might take the DT-Swiss with the smaller spokes.
According to some reviews on the web the black coating of the DT-Swiss would not fade away.
The Shamal Mille C17 might be a bit lighter.

(I rode the Shamal Mille with smaller rim last year and liked it very much, very stiff and fast but after a view rides in the rain the black coating faded away and braking was not very impressive in the rain)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

I can only comment on the Shamals, seems there's at least 5 sets in the groups I ride with. Every one of them has had the black color of brake track worn off. One is so bad it just looks like an aluminium clincher now with the entire brake track now a shiny silver.

In the wet they make a hideous squealing, sometimes in the dry too. Ksyriums have the same problem really.

I think the only way to keep a rim in black color is just to get a carbon wheel. These alloy material hacks don't seem to last very long.

Broady

by Broady

Yeah, no matter how deep your hard anodize / ceramic coating is, one small stone caught in between your brake pad and rim is gonna make it silver no matter what.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

The only thing why I'd consider DtSwiss in this case, would be that the replacement parts are readily available just about anywhere while Campagnolo prebuilt wheels are close if not simply the best out there. I'd go with Shamals.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

uraqt

by uraqt

DT says the finish is harder than "stone" All the reviews love the DTs and none of them had the finish come off.

C

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

I had the Fulcrum Zero Nite's last year (same as shamal mille) and switched to the PR1400's this season. In my opinion the DT's are better. I never had the coating come off the Fulcrums but bc I heard so much about it, I was always worried so I didn't really enjoy the wheels. I felt like I had to sell them before the brake track coating came off and the resale was ruined.

I personally didn't care for the "hard edges" of the Fulcrum/Campy wheels either. I don't really know how to put it but with the chunky spokes, huge nipples and two tiered rim (brake track is raised from the rim by about 1mm) they didn't really do it for me.

The DT's are beautiful (again, my opinion), the hubs are awesome (so are the campy), the braking is better, I love the thru-axle type closure of the skewer and most importantly, they're tubeless. I'm running tubeless RBCC 28mm tires and absolutely loving them. I haven't gotten a lot of riding in lately but I would think the DTs will also be better in cross winds bc the spokes are much smaller.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Thank you guys I've bought the Dt-Swiss wheels from Bikecomponents.be webshop.
As I said before, I had bad experience with the small rim version of Shamal Mille but as they changed the brakepads, I thought it would have been better.
And in the end I liked the minimalistic looks of the DT-Swiss (for example spokes) more then the bigger looking Shamal.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

I'm considering the dt for my caad12, how are they holding up?

appleaik

by appleaik

I am trying to purchase a pr1400.

How was the valid service period ?

Wasn't a coating faded still?

yinya

by yinya

The coating (on my DTs) has held up well (since Sep) - not a lot of rain weather use though. Couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by yinya on Sun May 13, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

I had shamal mille wheels but had to respoke them to regular shamal hoops, cause breaking was terrible and the black came of to easy! Otherwise loved those wheels just two BIG negatives

xcnick

by xcnick

I don’t understand how companies have the nerve to produce a black braking surface that wears off so fast then charge a premium for it.

I’ve put quite a few miles on my DT Swiss oxic in all conditions are have zero sign of wear. The braking is outstanding too. I’d like to see DT produce a deeper wheel with this braking surface.
But coming from C24’s, the bearings aren’t as good and they don’t feel quite as agile. The tyre sits nicer on the wider rim though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dangerfield

by Dangerfield

I just put pr 1400 dicut 21mm wheelset on this bike. Previously I was rolling on Fulcrum carbon Quattro 45's. The improvements to both handling and performance were radical. The pr1400's are stiff and light. They spin up way faster. The bike handles completely differently, light and quick in both acceleration and handling. Braking is about the same as the carbon rims and I have to say that the only thing that was surprising or remarkable about the Fulcrum wheels was the performance of their 3Diamant brake track.
Attachments
20221204_151428.jpg