Which Rotor crankset for Power2Max for BB30?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Post Reply
JunkyCollegeBiker18
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:35 pm

by JunkyCollegeBiker18

I'm about to purchase my first power meter but am unsure of how it will all fit together.

I have a Felt AR with an Ultegra crankset on it. It's BB30, which Rotor says all of their products should fit. I'm unsure of whether the 3d+ or 3d will fit the bottom bracket I have in it. The 3d+ is the 30mm spindle diameter and the 3d is the 24mm. The outside of my BB cups say FSA 24 Reducer.

Will the 3d+ 30mm spindle fit inside my current BB, will the 3d, or will both?

If the 3D+ or 3D don't fit, what would I need to buy to make them fit?

Thanks in advanced.

AZR3
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:00 pm
Location: Az USA

by AZR3

You need the 24mm rotor 3D to use your current FSA 24 reducer BB.

You could also remove the reducers and use the 3D+, but if you did you would need spacers (which is what the FSA reducers also provide, both a smaller 24mm diameter and spacers to account for the longer spindle length) on both sides as the spindle length of the 3D+ is longer than a standard BB30 crank.

I had a power2max rotor 3D+ on my SuperSix Evo and I had to run an 11.5mm spacer on each side of the crank, worked fine.

by Weenie


JunkyCollegeBiker18
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:35 pm

by JunkyCollegeBiker18

AZR3 wrote:You need the 24mm rotor 3D to use your current FSA 24 reducer BB.

You could also remove the reducers and use the 3D+, but if you did you would need spacers (which is what the FSA reducers also provide, both a smaller 24mm diameter and spacers to account for the longer spindle length) on both sides as the spindle length of the 3D+ is longer than a standard BB30 crank.

I had a power2max rotor 3D+ on my SuperSix Evo and I had to run an 11.5mm spacer on each side of the crank, worked fine.


Is it possible to fit a new BB30 bottom bracket that reduces the need for the 11.5 mm spacer? On power2max's website it says that the 3D+, 3DF, and 3D30 should all fit BB30. If not I think I found the 11.5 mm spacer that was $6-$7 bucks.

mrlobber
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:36 am
Location: Where the permanent autumn is

by mrlobber

Rotor 3D+ will fit on your Felt AR.

BB30 shell width is 68mm. Rotor 3D+ axle length is approx 90mm, you will need a 11.5mm spacer on each side.

And, of course, BB30 bearings.

1415chris
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Surrey UK

by 1415chris

Just to clarify a bit, 3D comes in both spindle versions, 24mm and 30mm.
I don't know in what spec the Rotor cranks are being supplied by P2M, but if you buy it separately all needed spacers come in the box.
For your frame you will need, as stated above, 2 x 11.5mm.
The other thing, as far as I'm concerned (please correct me if I'm wrong), the difference between 3D+ and 3D comes to spider, one is CNC the other forged. Unless the aesthetic, as you will be replacing the oryginal spider by P2M's one anyway, you can go for cheaper 3D version.

AZR3
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:00 pm
Location: Az USA

by AZR3

If i was you I'd get the 3D+ as its the lightest option of the rotor cranks and email P2M and ask if it comes with the two 11.5mm spacers, if not then source those (search eBay or have a shop that deals with rotor order them for you), then remove your reducers and replace them with the spacers and you're all set

Or if you want to save some $$ order the 3D and keep your reducers and just install it as is

either way you'll have to have to use spacers/reducers because the spindle length is too long for a standard BB30 frame

jfranci3
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:21 pm

by jfranci3

What chainrings are you going to use? Your Ultegra rings (4 bolt) won't work on the Rotor (5 bolt).

hambini
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:13 am

by hambini

Your ultegra crank is 24mm and the nominal bearings of BB30 are 30mm ID. There is obviously an adaptor in there somewhere and that could come in 2 forms:

1. Delrin type units which push into the 6806 bearings and take you down to 24mm
2. A complete replacement bottom bracket

If you have item 1, then all you will need to do is pull the delrin units out and fit a crank with a 30mm axle and 2x 11.5mm spacers (one either side)

If you have item 2, you will need to remove the bottom bracket, resinstall circlips and bearings before fitting a 30mm rotor crank.

It is possible, but i'm not too familiar with it, that you could leave the existing bb/adaptor set as is and go to a 24mm rotor crank, they have 90mm spacing but I would defer to someone with more knowledge than myself for this.

Hope that helps

hambini

JunkyCollegeBiker18
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:35 pm

by JunkyCollegeBiker18

1415chris wrote:Just to clarify a bit, 3D comes in both spindle versions, 24mm and 30mm.
I don't know in what spec the Rotor cranks are being supplied by P2M, but if you buy it separately all needed spacers come in the box.
For your frame you will need, as stated above, 2 x 11.5mm.
The other thing, as far as I'm concerned (please correct me if I'm wrong), the difference between 3D+ and 3D comes to spider, one is CNC the other forged. Unless the aesthetic, as you will be replacing the oryginal spider by P2M's one anyway, you can go for cheaper 3D version.


Power2max has a YouTube video where they say that the 3D they supply is the 24mm spindle and yes they do have different spiders. I just found out the Power2max units however are different for the 3D and 3D+, they aren't interchangeable. I think for this reason I'm going to order the 3D+. I'll reach out to Power2max and see if they supply the spacers needed for them to fit.

JunkyCollegeBiker18
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:35 pm

by JunkyCollegeBiker18

jfranci3 wrote:What chainrings are you going to use? Your Ultegra rings (4 bolt) won't work on the Rotor (5 bolt).


I'm ordering Praxis Works rings pre-installed with the crankset and P2M spider unit.

JunkyCollegeBiker18
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:35 pm

by JunkyCollegeBiker18

AZR3 wrote:If i was you I'd get the 3D+ as its the lightest option of the rotor cranks and email P2M and ask if it comes with the two 11.5mm spacers, if not then source those (search eBay or have a shop that deals with rotor order them for you), then remove your reducers and replace them with the spacers and you're all set

Or if you want to save some $$ order the 3D and keep your reducers and just install it as is

either way you'll have to have to use spacers/reducers because the spindle length is too long for a standard BB30 frame


I think I'm going to order the 3D+ cranks along but I'm going to wait for P2M to get back with me about if they supply the spacers. I also might run to my LBS and see if I'll need any bearing to fit them.

When you had the 3D+ put into your supersix evo did you have to buy/remove any bearings?

cobrakai
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:19 pm

by cobrakai

I have the same setup. Felt AR with power2max 3d+, praxis rings. Mine came with the requisite spacers. I had the AR1 frameset so I had to install BB30 bearings at the same time.

AZR3
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:00 pm
Location: Az USA

by AZR3

JunkyCollegeBiker18 wrote:When you had the 3D+ put into your supersix evo did you have to buy/remove any bearings?


Your bottom bracket is already 30mm diameter, they just have the FSA reducers so your current crank would fit. If you buy the 3D+ it has a 30mm spindle so you'd remove the FSA reducers and replace them with the 11.5mm spacers (they are basically the doing the same job as the FSA reducer as far as allowing you to use the longer spindle, the only difference is that the diameter is 30mm and not 24mm like the FSA reducer)

So with my Evo, all I did was use one 11.5mm spacer on each side and then use the adjuster nut on the non-drive side to remove any side to side movement.

You won't need a new bottom bracket or anything other than the crank and the two 11.5mm spacers

jfranci3
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:21 pm

by jfranci3

JunkyCollegeBiker18 wrote:
jfranci3 wrote:What chainrings are you going to use? Your Ultegra rings (4 bolt) won't work on the Rotor (5 bolt).


I'm ordering Praxis Works rings pre-installed with the crankset and P2M spider unit.

Perfect. I had to modify the chain retention pin on the big ring of my praxis 50 110bcd ring, but I'm sure P2M or Praxis has a solution for that. In any case, give the spindle a spin and ensure the ring is true/wabble free.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post