Time VXRS question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JJN

by JJN

I recently bought a Time VXRS frameset with translink seat tube (integrated seat post). Unfortunately the previous owner was a bit smaller than me and therefor the translink has been cut too short. I was advised to cut the Translink until 2 cm above the seat/top tube lug and insert a normal seat post in order to obtain the right saddle height.
Question now is whether a slot in the top part of the seat tube is required. According to forum member Havana who owns a VXR with normal seat post no slot is available in the frame. Does anybody know what to do? Many thanks in advance.
Joost

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

i am afraid i canno answer your question (though if no notch in another one then copy that i suppose).

however can you provide some feedback on the bike once you are up and running with it? i am very interested to try out a time and am scared off the older ones due to some feedback regarding a flexible front end.

thanks and good luck with your seat post.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

SBirch

by SBirch

Do you have the 2 bolt seat clamp? I believe with the 2 bolt clamp you don't need a slot. One bolt clamps the post and the other one clamps the frame.
You might even be able to just leave the mast at its current length and just insert a slightly longer post instead of the current stubby one.

AJS914

by AJS914

mrgray wrote:i
however can you provide some feedback on the bike once you are up and running with it? i am very interested to try out a time and am scared off the older ones due to some feedback regarding a flexible front end.

I wouldn't be scared of Time. A few Times have passed through my hands and what always impresses me is the quality of construction.

I have a VXS (2007ish) and it is a fine bike. I really enjoyed my time with it though it hangs in the garage now. My only real knock on the VXS was that it was too smooth and a little dead feeling. It was designed to be a Boonen Paris-Roubaix bike and they put extra vectran in the layup to dampen vibrations. It really is a minor fault because it does soak up the road in a way that you feel you could ride it all day. The handling on the Time is also fantastic.

JJN

by JJN

SBirch wrote:Do you have the 2 bolt seat clamp? I believe with the 2 bolt clamp you don't need a slot. One bolt clamps the post and the other one clamps the frame.
You might even be able to just leave the mast at its current length and just insert a slightly longer post instead of the current stubby one.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I think you are right. The wider bottom part is supposed to clamp the frame and the top part the seat post or insert, with an individual bolt for each part. I do have that clamp, but according to the www they are prone to break when overtorqued. The VXRs I have seen on the web have a regular seat post collar so I guess that should be possible as well.

The sales person of Time in the Netherlands advised to cut the ISP instead of leaving it on. Not sure why though. I will ask that.

JJN

by JJN

The VXRS is ready! I have ridden it now for 75 km and I think it is a great bike. Steering is fast and a bit nervous and this might explain peoples perception of the bike being not very stiff. I think it is fine as I can drive perfectly with my hands loose and descending at >60 km/h was fine.

I use a regular seatpost (300mm) in the translink. Despite the extra weight of this post I think this prevents problems with the translink tube that have been reported.

Only thing I worry about is the clearance of the rear tire (Schwalbe One 25c) with the seat tube. Really close and not ideal. Will change for a 23c tire to see if is better.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Looks really nice, thanks for the report!

ab01ns

by ab01ns

You might be able to get a longer seatmast that isn't a seatpost for the bike.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

kgt

by kgt

Beautiful bike. The frame is a classic!

m4k1

by m4k1

bought one too recently...amazing bike!

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Very nice m4k1!

by Weenie