SRAM shifting with Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sturvey

by sturvey

Like many of you, I have been reading about the "wonderfully intuitive shifting logic" of the SRAM eTap.  I purchased a new bike several months ago with Shimano Di2 and wished for that same type of shifting.  I quickly realized I could alter the shifting commands of the levers and came up with this:
• The left shifter. small button, shifts the front derailleur to the smaller cog (downshift)
• The left shifter, large button, shifts the rear derailleur to the larger cog (downshift)
• The right shifter. small button, shifts the front derailleur to the larger cog (upshift)
• The right shifter, large button, shifts the rear derailleur to the smaller cog (upshift)

Now, with the exception of using both buttons at the same time to shift the front derailleur like the eTap, it essentially shifts like an eTap. Also, since the rear shifting is now controlled by the bigger "rear" buttons, I have fewer mis-shifts caused by bumping the wrong shift lever.

bmCube

by bmCube

I did the same but took the "grooved" paddles for rear shifting

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorapido

by motorapido

Got both my road bikes set up the same way, and far fewer mis-shifts than the standard setup, especially with thick winter gloves.

My CX is slightly different as i have shoehorned Di2 electronics into Sram housings with momentary switches operated by the Sram shift paddles.
its a 1 x 11 setup. have only gone that route due to the lighter weight and preferred ergonomics of the HydroR levers.

Racingevo

by Racingevo

Glad I'm not the only one doing this! I've been doing this since June 2016 and it took a few weeks to get used to but I find it much more intuitive, maybe more so than E-Tap.

Team Murray

by Team Murray

I have had Etap from the day it was introduced. Just recently, I got my first di2 bike and it felt like taking a step backwards. I settled on the same setup described here and it seems to be the closest. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

I set both left and right paddles to the exact same function; right ones both RD harder gear, left ones both lower gear. Without sprint shifters its impssobile for me to hit the correct button in a sprint
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I ride Sram and Shimano bikes and never think twice about shifting differences.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I set up in a way that is very simple to explain.

Front buttons control front derailleur.
Rear buttons control rear derailleur.
Left buttons to shift to the left.
Right buttons to shift to the right.

End of explanation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrkell

by mrkell

Find new DA9200 very fiddly. The small buttons are too small and easily pressed in error.
I've now setup as close to etap as you can, and used hood buttons as front mech.
Shifted down front mech by mistake several times and the found shifters sticking, gel and snot from a race...
After having etap Rex several years, I definitely prefer that to new DA, not sure what I expected but unimpressed.