My fist prototype product Ultralight CF saddle-->59grams :) UPDATE VERSION 2.0

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Hi everyone from central Europe

I'm a user of this forum for a very long time.

I know,there was few users,that shows here their products/components.

Now its time for my first cycling component.

At this time it's a prototype,but if I will be able to produce it for customers (I'm thinking about YOU-forum user,but not only),it shouldnt change a lot (shape/weight). I only need few more rides on it,to find/eliminate any minuses.

But at this moment ecerything works great. Saddle is comfortable,a bit flexy (not stiff as a piece of wood,and not softy as pillow)

Saddle is 250mm long and 135mm wide

Rails are 7x9 full carbon

Shell is made from 200g twill carbon fiber

Still,there is a bid work to do with sand peper,but now I will only focus on testing it (if not personally-working abroad,I will give it to some of my friends)

Saddle is testing by 80kg rider-->me:)

If you have any questions,please ask in this topic,or via PM,I will answer for 100%

Few informations about me:

-I'm 29 years old (I have birthday on March 14 :))
-I'm in love in cycling till I learn fow to ride on it ( I was 11y old :()
-16 years on bike marathons
-100 000+ km riden,97% on terrain,a lot of stuff tested and used.

As you can see,a lot of smiles here,beacouse I'm a happy man...:)
Attachments
20170226_134952.jpg
20170226_135005.jpg
20170226_135749.jpg
Last edited by bikemaniack on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craciunptr

by craciunptr

Great job ! You should try and sand it down and clear coat it ! Really impressed ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

craciunptr wrote:Great job ! You should try and sand it down and clear coat it ! Really impressed ;)

Thanks

In this option,the saddle shell is a bit rough,it's not slippery,so I feel more comfortable on it. I dont need to correct my position while riding.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

And thatshow it look on bike

BTW: I'm a bit dissapointed,thaa almost no one write any comment:( Positiv or negativ)
Attachments
20170227_170345.jpg
20170227_170355.jpg
20170227_170401.jpg
20170227_170418.jpg

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

I have some questions/comments:

Could you describe your mold process and how you came up with that shape?

Were rails constructed or re-used from another saddle?

Are you concerned about edges rubbing on your legs/shorts?

BmanX

by BmanX

I think there is not a lot of comments due to the foot steps that you are following with the likes of JURE BERK. Take a look at his products. I could never build a saddle like you have done so I applaud your efforts.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

dj97223

by dj97223

bikeman,

Looks nice. You may get more responses in the Road section, rather than the Introduce Yourself section.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

dj97223 If modarator could do that,please do this,I will be grateful

BmanX This is my first bike part ever made. My first priority was the lowest weight. Next time when I will have some time,I will make it look much much better.There was a time,where I was checkin Jure project every day,and yes,his products looks very good.

To be honest,this is my first step in long distance run,I will try to do my best to be better and better. But,beacouse I'm working out of home,I have no possibility to made anything whenI'm in work.

I have a lot of plans and projects in my head,the only think that I dont have is a time.

Sizzler

by Sizzler

I have the same question about the sides of the saddle, looks like it could shred what little bit of decency we wear while riding.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

This saddle based on Selle Italia SLR TE saddle.But,one thik that I changed is saddle widht in back part. Why?? beacouse in my opinion it's a little bit to narrow. To done this,I removed leather and foam from the shell. Than I removed glue from it and clean. I didn't make a metal mould,or even mould from glassfiber. First I put a gelcoat on the shell,thanwait a bit,and then starting to putting layers from Carbon fiber one by one,of course covering them by epoxy resin. This is the end of step 1,after that you hava to wait,till the epoxy get harden

Step 2 starting from trying to separate our product from mould (saddel shell). If everything goes correct,you have your saddle shell almost done.All you have to do is the cut out the extra material,and make the final shape.

stevey028

by stevey028

Awesome job, would love to be able to make my own parts.... :(

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

BTW,beacouse this was my first ever made part,I just wanted to show you final product. Shape and look wasn't on first place. My next product will look much much better,and shape and look will be a priority

stevey028,Thank you

euph

by euph

Did you make the rails yourself as well? I see that FilmAt11 has already asked this. Just interested to know as the rails are a complex part to make. Well done for trying your hand at making your own carbon components.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

I missed that question. I re-used rails from SE SLR saddle. I have made some mould for the rails,but nothing did not satisfy me in 100%. But I beelieve,and keep my head up,that soon I will made my first carbon rails.

euph Thanks a lot. As in life,first step is always the hardest.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Nice effort on making the saddle, especially as it was your first attempt. One bit of advice though. The edges, especially the tip and side look awfully sharp and would probably rip through your bib-shorts in no time.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com