Competing/Alternative cages to Berner Cages

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

avispa

by avispa

Lately I have seen a slew of rear derailleur cages that compete with the cages from Berner Bikes 13/15 cages. Have any of you used any cages from other manufactures and have had good luck with them? If so, could you share your experience?

Thanks!

..A..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

964Cup

by 964Cup

Yes; I have a UCB speedcage (carbon with ti pulleys and ceramic bearings). Works very well.

Attermann

by Attermann

Any good ones for Campagnolo? I have only found Carbon dry

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Ridea
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Fouriers are reasonable as well. Carbon dry is like double the price of the former.

stevey028

by stevey028

964Cup wrote:Yes; I have a UCB speedcage (carbon with ti pulleys and ceramic bearings). Works very well.

THis might be a silly question but does the cage upgrade save any grams over for example the 9100 cage that comes as standard or have you done the upgrade for performance reason? If there is a saving, how much? And have you found a difference in performance/shifting?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

standard cage works best. the longer cages fail in terms of performance as the big pulley wheels rub against cassette, no matter what I do with a longer b screw.

avispa

by avispa

stevey028 wrote:
964Cup wrote:Yes; I have a UCB speedcage (carbon with ti pulleys and ceramic bearings). Works very well.

THis might be a silly question but does the cage upgrade save any grams over for example the 9100 cage that comes as standard or have you done the upgrade for performance reason? If there is a saving, how much? And have you found a difference in performance/shifting?

I use Campagnolo EPS on my bikes. I have used my Berner Cages for over 4 years with no issues whatsoever. Originally, I did the upgrade because I saw some pros using it and I liked the "cool" factor. But after riding two almost identical bikes, one with the Berner Cage and one with the standard one, I decided to upgrade both bikes. I have experienced smoother shifting, way longer durability and these cages are also super easy to clean over the stock ones (I do all my maintenance).

As far as weight. I actually do not worry too much about a lightweight bike as I rather go for durability over a flimsy, super light item on my bike. For instance, I stay away from full carbon bars and stems.

..A..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com