Keywin Pedal Questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eyedrop

by eyedrop

I bought some Keywins and they arrived in the mail today.

First thing I noticed was the cleat comes attached to the pedal out of the box. I looked in the instructions about how to remove the cleat, but it simply says to refer to Keywin.com. I cant find the info anywhere on how to remove them. Can someone help?

And my other concern is when I pull on the axle or rock it side to side, there is a fair amount of play between the axle and pedal that I can feel and hear. Is this normal? These pedals are brand new...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I don't have keywins but a mate has had them. Pretty sure the free play you're feeling is normal. That's how their float works. Not sure about releasing the cleat. I remember he said they were really firm when new. Think it's just twist and pull up to release but I'm not 100% sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Okay, figured it out. So to remove the cleats from the pedals, push down hard on the slanted tab next to the big keywin logo on the pedal whilst pulling the cleat to the side.

eyedrop

by eyedrop

I installed the 0 degree float end caps, and Im still getting some pretty big slop/play when pulling on the axle.

Also, the bearings spin nice and smooth with the 6 degree caps. But with the 0 degree caps, they spin very rough and inconsistent.

Darceking

by Darceking

I could be wrong, but I think that is a problem with the latest Kewin pedals, lots of " slop " .

I remember DurianRider complained about this and was after the old gen pedals

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Do you have the CRM or the Carbon models?

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Carbon pedals with Ti axles.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I am on Carbon with Ti spindles right now. Don't remember exactly, but over 3k km, no play. I use 0 plugs, they spin smoothly and freely.

micky

by micky

I use the Carbon Ti model as well and no play.
Send an email directly to Keywin; they answer pretty quickly.

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Sent them an email, got a quick reply:

"There should be a small amount of movement – using bushes instead of deep groove roller bearings means there has to be small tolerance.

The slight roughness you feel with the 0 degree will disappear after a few hundred kms. The action will vary slightly depending on whether you have titanium or chrome moly axles – the titanium with 0 degree end caps (which I ride) will totally spin after some while. This more the action of the seal on the axle than action of the bushes.

We have several riders now with Carbon pedals well over 100,000 kms – mine are approaching half that.

Thanks for using Keywin. I’m sure you will be delighted."

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

You gotta ride them to see what they're doing/feeling, and they'll still be under warranty if you decide to replace them.
Twisting /turning in the hand means very little.

I don't recall off the top of my head if the carbons have one or two tabs to install for zero float.
I know the CRMs have 2. Only 1 still gives you about 3 degrees of float.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

UpFromOne wrote:You gotta ride them to see what they're doing/feeling, and they'll still be under warranty if you decide to replace them.
Twisting /turning in the hand means very little.

I don't recall off the top of my head if the carbons have one or two tabs to install for zero float.
I know the CRMs have 2. Only 1 still gives you about 3 degrees of float.

The float on the Carbons is controlled by the end cap. The two little tabs that control it on the CRM are integrated into the axle end cap on the Carbons.

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Did a short blast around the block today with them. The platform feels super solid and efficient.

But, I keep running into issues. They are very difficult to disengage. I really have to torque my foot hard to get them to unclip, and there isnt any way to adjust that. I have to twist so hard that it practically sounds like a gunshot when they finally break free, which causes the damn 0 degree endcap to keep popping off one of the pedals when I unclip. Ive made sure its properly inserted, but the problem persists. I put some tape on it and it seems to stay put for now. Super frustrating...

Edit: Did another quick ride and they seems to be breaking in a little. Still a little bit difficult to unclip, but I can manage. I have a feeling with time, things will be good. They are definitely confidence inspiring when sprinting!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

Years ago, with my previous model of Carbons, on my first ride I lost both 0 endcaps :)
Although I thought that they were installed properly I don't think it was the case. I made sure that the new cups are pressed in correctly with the kind of click sound. Since then no more popping of. And no problems with the new Ti spindle version as well.