Can a Saddle Be Too Wide?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

... I mean, within reason.

Your typical 'wide' saddle is typically 10mm wider than your typical 'regular' saddle.

While I can see problems in using a saddle which is too narrow saddle, what are the problems with using one that is too wide?

Thanks.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I tired a 155 Specialized Romin Evo after owning a 143 Romin (std). I almost cried about 10miles into my ride. I, of course, hardened up and finished the ride. It was not a pleasant experience though. The issue was my sit bones were on the central cut-out supports.

Cutout aside, the nose and transition to the wings can be to wide. The wings cannot be too wide.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

this is why some LBS have a way of measuring your sit bones, or you can do it yourself by taking a thin 1" or so small sheet of styrofoam, put it on a hard flat chair, then sit on it leaning forward like you would riding bike, let the sit bones settle into the styrofoam for a few minutes, when you get off there should be two indentions in the foam where your sit bones were, measure the distance between the two from center of one indent to the center of the other.

em3

by em3

Width is not the singular measure of saddle fit. You have to account for the arc of saddle seat area. Some narrow saddles are very flat which yield a wider support area, while a narrower saddle with more arc may yield less seating support. What is more important is whether you want to be on TOP of the saddle or IN the saddle.

Marin

by Marin

Thigh rub will also be an issue and can be VERY uncomfortable on longer rides, to the extent that you have to ride home standing up. Ask me how I know

kasperkls02

by kasperkls02

Marin wrote:Ask me how I know

How do you know? i am curius

Marin

by Marin

Mounted a saddle in a way that rubbed the inside of my thighs on a warm day, sweated, got bad chafing, rode mostly standing up for 40k.

Then couldn't ride for a week while the skin tried to heal.

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Before I was knowledgeable somewhat of fit. I said I'm a bigger guy I must be a 165 in a Spec Romin saddle. Yea that hurt and was not comfortable at all. 143 is my sweet spot. Do yourself a favor and get proper fit from the LBS you will thank me after.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

jfranci3 wrote:I tired a 155 Specialized Romin Evo after owning a 143 Romin (std). I almost cried about 10miles into my ride. I, of course, hardened up and finished the ride. It was not a pleasant experience though. The issue was my sit bones were on the central cut-out supports.

Cutout aside, the nose and transition to the wings can be to wide. The wings cannot be too wide.

Romin Evo and Toupe is like comparing apples and oranges. Romin Evo is curved saddle, hammock profile, it rotates your pelvis (if flexible) to flat back position. Toupe is a flat saddle, more adaptable, let you slide, rarher than being stuck in same position like in Romin Evo. Long story short, Romin Evo is not quickly adaptable saddle. It require lots of tweaks and lots of miles to get dialed-in.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The biggest problem I find is tryi g to get something that works both indoors and on the road :( 155 Power comes close but my favorite 143 Roman evo sucks inside. May have to play switcheroo with the bikes and possibly try a 143 power.
Using Tapatalk

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

jfranci3 wrote:Cutout aside, the nose and transition to the wings can be too wide. The wings cannot be too wide.

I would agree.

In the case of some - not all - saddles that come in different widths, the nose/transition can be the exact same size and it is only the wings that are different. And I do not feel that it matters if it is only the wings that are too wide.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Nefarious86 wrote:The biggest problem I find is tryi g to get something that works both indoors and on the road :( 155 Power comes close but my favorite 143 Roman evo sucks inside. May have to play switcheroo with the bikes and possibly try a 143 power.

Power saddle is ultra wide. 143mm felt like 168mm wide. I tried to like it numerous times and just gave up. Specialized either need to redesign the Power saddle or introduce 132mm version (equivalent to 155mm Romin Evo).
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

OutOfBreath

by OutOfBreath

I felt the same about the 143 Power saddle, had to push it back as far as it would go so it didn't hurt the intersection of my inner thighs and my hips but then I was left with no nose at all and ended sitting too far forward on a zone that gave me saddle sores like no other saddle has ever make me suffer, it measures more than 143 from side to side by the way and the transition from the nose to tail is too gradual for my liking so the back of the saddle ends up being unusable.

Rick

by Rick

Of course they can be too wide.
It is all about how the contours hit your anatomy.
Since I have a wide a$$ I assume wider would be better, but, for example, the 135mm Pro Turnix is very comfy, but when I tried the 143mm version, it was immediately obviously less comfortable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

Definitely. I was using 134mm for years, switched to 143mm, and now I'm trying out an SQ Labs in... 120mm! I had done all sorts of measurements, over and over again, but I think I've finally (hopefully) nailed it.

There is nothing more personal than the saddle. I would never ridicule another rider for saddle shape, design, or placement. Tilt it up or down, back or forward, whatever. Only you know what feels right, and when you log serious hours, it HAS to be spot on or you'll end up missing training days. That is not allowed.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny