Rain jackets: castelli idro vs gore one gtx vs poc rain jacket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'd love to hear your first hand experience regarding the rain jackets in the title. I believe that there is no rain jacket that works for high intensity riding and I use alternatives for my training rides and commutes.

I will do some low intensity touring in the alps and I will need a very well performing water and wind proof outer layer. It should be easy to pack, lightweight. Price is also a concern, given I won't use it a lot later. Good breathability is always nice to have, but not essential in this case.

I collected three well performing rain jackets. All of them are quite expensive. Should I just get a simple rain jacket instead? How well the ones in the title works? Thanks.

boots2000

by boots2000

I have about a year using a Gore One GTX- it is really good and really pack able.
They run smallish in size- I wear a medium and I am a small in most tops.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

boots2000 wrote:I have about a year using a Gore One GTX- it is really good and really pack able.
They run smallish in size- I wear a medium and I am a small in most tops.

Is it durable? I heard that it might be easy to ruin the outer layer. I'm a small in rapha pro and castelli tops. Between small and extra small in rapha classic and city lines. Should I go for small or medium?

peted76

by peted76

I have had the Gore One GTX since christmas, only managed a few rides with it so far, however I am as impressed as I hoped I'd be, with spending so much on a rain jacket.
I'm quite stout in shape and the medium is right for me, their size guide is about right I'd say. FYI I'm a medium in a Rapha classic jersey and a large in their Pro range.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

peted76 wrote:I have had the Gore One GTX since christmas, only managed a few rides with it so far, however I am as impressed as I hoped I'd be, with spending so much on a rain jacket.
I'm quite stout in shape and the medium is right for me, their size guide is about right I'd say. FYI I'm a medium in a Rapha classic jersey and a large in their Pro range.

Really helpful thanks!

geedawg

by geedawg

I have the Castelli Idro and just rode it in the for the first time in heavy rain this week. It performed great. Came back from 3 hrs in the rain and was completely dry, both from the rain and from sweat. I didn't do intervals and it was not super high intensity, but the ride did have climbing. So it sounds similar to the efforts you would be making in the Alps. I think it would be perfect for your use.

Fit is typical Castelli. I'm the same size as you are nemeseri: I wear small in Castelli (race fit items) and am an XS in Rapha classic lines and am between XS and S in the Pro Team items. The jacket fits way better than say Castelli's Tempesta Jacket, which is much baggier. The Idro is race cut, but with the recognition that it is a jacket, not a jersey. Meaning, the jacket fits nicely with a race cut jersey (and baselayer) under it. And it will even accommodate a lighter long sleeve jersey with baselayer without being restrictive. But the jacket itself is in no way baggy. The fit in size small is similar but still sleeker than my Rapha Classic Wind Jacket in size XS.

The Idro also packs down tiny and will fit in less than a jersey pocket. From what I understand the Gore version is basically the same jacket as it uses the same materials and is pretty pared down, like the Castelli version. I just don't have any experience with Gore kit in general or how it fits, so I purchased the Castelli. I'm sure you'd be pretty happy with either, assuming you get the right fit.

Can't speak to the durability though since I haven't had the jacket that long. I have read the same things you have about durability issues with the fabric, but since I don't use a pack with the jacket or plan on tighly folding it and putting hard creases into it, I'm not that worried.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

geedawg wrote:The fit in size small is similar but still sleeker than my Rapha Classic Wind Jacket in size XS.

Very-very useful. Thank you! I guess if I have to buy a rain jacket, it might be very well a good one.
I'm pretty sure you are slimmer than me based on your comment on the wind jacket. The S is a snug fit for me in rapha pro and I'm right in between sizes with anything from the classic line tops. From castelli, the Gabba in small is an absolutely perfect fit.

I guess I might want to try the small and the medium and see which one is better with a few layers under it. Thanks again!

geedawg

by geedawg

nemeseri, I just re-tried on the Rapha Wind Jacket to confirm the fit. . .and I was a bit off =$

The Rapha Wind Jacket in XS is definitely slimmer than the Castelli Idro in small. If the Gabba in small fits you, then the Idro in small will be perfect as well. The Gabba in small is a good fit for me too. For further reference, I am 5'7", 140-145lb, 28-29in waist. More muscular upper body with bigger back than most roadies.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

geedawg wrote:nemeseri, I just re-tried on the Rapha Wind Jacket to confirm the fit. . .and I was a bit off =$

The Rapha Wind Jacket in XS is definitely slimmer than the Castelli Idro in small. If the Gabba in small fits you, then the Idro in small will be perfect as well. The Gabba in small is a good fit for me too. For further reference, I am 5'7", 140-145lb, 28-29in waist. More muscular upper body with bigger back than most roadies.

I really appreciate that you re-tried the jacket just to help me. :thumbup:
Yeah, based on your size the S should be good for me. I'm 5'6.5", 128-132 lbs with a slim upper body.

parleez1

by parleez1

Two new rain jackets for 2017 from Sportful, the Stelvio and Hot Pack No Rain Ultralight jacket, this one weighs105g, very packable. Check out the Sportful web site for more details. I'm planning on purchasing the Hot Pack to have in my pocket for rain and wind, nice option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KWalker

by KWalker

Have the Gore and I don't baby it. Has been amazing. Best jacket I've ever bought.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

scb

by scb

I've had the Idro for 4-5 months--awesome lightweight rain shell. really effective at keeping dry and rolls up really small and easily fits in a jersey pocket. I normally wear large in race cut cycling apparel but needed an extra large in this jacket.

uraqt

by uraqt

I use Castelli Gabba, and wool armwarmers and it's really really good set up. However I live in NorCal so when it rains it usually is wet for most of the ride. I tried some of the Castelli nanoflex armwarmers but they just kinda were too hot for me. ( I love the cold)

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Check out the products at 7mesh. Their fit and finish is amazing, they only use premium materials. They have a great rider cut, you almost can't feel that you're wearing a jacket. They also have a lot of options, the RE:Gen is great for a lighter weight Goretex jacket, for very heavy rain there is the Revolution Gore-tex Pro jacket w/ removable hood. Both are great options.

http://www.7meshinc.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I'd go with the Gore product, though I haven't tried this one. Their cold weather gloves are the best on the market, I have a softshell cycling jacket that I love, and I have a gore running shell that's awesome. Styling might not be the best, but amazing performance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com