Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:04 am
Posts: 2
I'm interested in this topic as well. For those of you who have the Gore jacket, how is the zipper?

I had high end Gore jacket in the past; love their fabric's performance but the zipper let me down. Zipper corroded to the point where it could not function anymore... High dollar jacket rendered useless by a 5cent piece.


Top
   
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:12 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:30 am
Posts: 110
i can't speak for the Gore jackets but the RE:Gen jacket from 7mesh uses the large tooth YKK zipper, its super easy to pull up or down one handed and very strong / waterproof. They also have added zips to the cuff for easy glove removal / added ventilation. Check it out.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:27 am
Posts: 23
Everything I've heard about the new GORE Active material is that it's basically the bomb. Fully waterproof, highly breathable, and no coating that will wear out and need to be resprayed. Plus super lightweight so easy to justify throwing in the back pocket if it looks like there might be rain.

So for me, the decision is really not what jacket to buy, but what jacket with GORE Active should I buy?

That means either GORE's, the Castelli Idro, or the new 7mesh Oro.

I'm leaning towards the Idro, as I know that Castelli's for and quality will most likely be top notch. The GORE jacket is apparently a bit off in terms of fit, and while the 7mesh Oro looks great, their fit and quality is a bit of an unknown for me. And the obsession with light weight makes me wonder if it may not be quite as durable or practical as Castelli's (for example, they use a custom lightweight YKK zipper rather than a standard YKK one).

Anyway, that's where I'm at, but would be curious to hear what others think? It would be nice to see a magazine compare all three...


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 1001
For those who are not familiar with testing methodology by Tour Magazine, lower score 1.0 is the best and 4.0 is the worst.
Total of 28 jackets were tested. Gore One GTX holds the candle above all.

Image

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 8:57 pm
Posts: 22
Location: Boston, MAssachusetts
mpulsiv, thanks for posting the information from Tour Magazine. Looks like those are 2016 jackets, when was the test done? Can you attach the complete review? I don't get the magazine here in the states, and on line its in German, I also like the Endura jacket, but not sure it packs up small enough to take on all rides.
Thank you!


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 1001
parleez1 wrote:
mpulsiv, thanks for posting the information from Tour Magazine. Looks like those are 2016 jackets, when was the test done? Can you attach the complete review? I don't get the magazine here in the states, and on line its in German, I also like the Endura jacket, but not sure it packs up small enough to take on all rides.
Thank you!


Yes, the desktop version is in German. If you want in English, get it through the app store on your phone.
iOS https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/tour-qt ... 21395?mt=8
Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ix.tourqtr

This issue was mid-2016, If I'm not mistaken. Endura would be my second choice as well. Yes, it's not as packable, weight almost twice as much and not as waterproof. Keep an eye out for sales http://www.rei.com/product/101269/gore- ... acket-mens

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 8:57 pm
Posts: 22
Location: Boston, MAssachusetts
mpulsiv wrote:
parleez1 wrote:
mpulsiv, thanks for posting the information from Tour Magazine. Looks like those are 2016 jackets, when was the test done? Can you attach the complete review? I don't get the magazine here in the states, and on line its in German, I also like the Endura jacket, but not sure it packs up small enough to take on all rides.
Thank you!


Yes, the desktop version is in German. If you want in English, get it through the app store on your phone.
iOS https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/tour-qt ... 21395?mt=8
Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ix.tourqtr

This issue was mid-2016, If I'm not mistaken. Endura would be my second choice as well. Yes, it's not as packable, weight almost twice as much and not as waterproof. Keep an eye out for sales http://www.rei.com/product/101269/gore- ... acket-mens


I'll check out the app for Tour Magazine, thanks. As I mentioned in my earlier post, Sportful has two new waterproof jackets coming out. The Hot Pack No Rain Ultralight is 105g, packs very small and is available in flouro yellow. Although the gore tex jacket is very nice, I am not going to purchase a black jacket to ride in on cloudy, rainy days, I want to be seen, so a bright color is what I am looking for.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 1001
parleez1 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
parleez1 wrote:
mpulsiv, thanks for posting the information from Tour Magazine. Looks like those are 2016 jackets, when was the test done? Can you attach the complete review? I don't get the magazine here in the states, and on line its in German, I also like the Endura jacket, but not sure it packs up small enough to take on all rides.
Thank you!


Yes, the desktop version is in German. If you want in English, get it through the app store on your phone.
iOS https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/tour-qt ... 21395?mt=8
Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ix.tourqtr

This issue was mid-2016, If I'm not mistaken. Endura would be my second choice as well. Yes, it's not as packable, weight almost twice as much and not as waterproof. Keep an eye out for sales http://www.rei.com/product/101269/gore- ... acket-mens


I'll check out the app for Tour Magazine, thanks. As I mentioned in my earlier post, Sportful has two new waterproof jackets coming out. The Hot Pack No Rain Ultralight is 105g, packs very small and is available in flouro yellow. Although the gore tex jacket is very nice, I am not going to purchase a black jacket to ride in on cloudy, rainy days, I want to be seen, so a bright color is what I am looking for.


I hear you. I think Gore will release new colors next season. As far as I know, Sportful uses Castelli materials. I have Sportful No Rain leg warmers. Essentially, it's Castelli but better fit and more affordable.

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 8:57 pm
Posts: 22
Location: Boston, MAssachusetts
Never heard that Sportful used Castelli materials before, I believe they are an independent company, but don't know that much about them, just like their products, I like Castelli as well.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:16 pm
Posts: 77
parleez1 wrote:
Although the gore tex jacket is very nice, I am not going to purchase a black jacket to ride in on cloudy, rainy days, I want to be seen, so a bright color is what I am looking for.

this!

And just in case some Sportful employee might visit this forum: why the F* did you have to name it "Hot Pack No Rain Ultralight", it's impossible to google when you already have products named "Hot Pack Ultralight" and "No Rain Stretch".

My current rain jacket is a TNF Storm Stow in canary yellow. Although not cycling specific (it has a hood for instance) its slim fit, small pack size and low weight makes it quite a nice jacket to have around for fast touring and brevets.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:00 pm
Posts: 377
mpulsiv wrote:
I think Gore will release new colors next season.


Interesting info! I assume we are talking about the Gore Tex active fabric, as in the 7mesh Oro, Castelli Idro, and the Gore One? Would be very good if they released it in more visible colors than black. Do you have a reliable source for this? Are we talking the 2017-18 season?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:38 pm
Posts: 1738
parleez1 wrote:
Never heard that Sportful used Castelli materials before, I believe they are an independent company, but don't know that much about them, just like their products, I like Castelli as well.


Sportful and Castelli are two halves of the same company. They are brands used to market the products of Manifattura Valcismon. They are produced in the same factory. The company bought Castelli in the late 90s.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Posts: 3
Hi guys, I'm from 7mesh and can answer questions if you like. (Mods - I couldn't find anything about not allowing posting as a company rep, please let me know if I'm offside.)

I can confirm that currently only black material is available. Colour is hopefully coming in the future but it is not production ready at this point and a release date has not been confirmed.

Cheers, TJ


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 1001
Read the comments from www.bikerumor.com/2017/03/20/gore-1985- ... /#comments as to why would Gore release black color.

"It’s black because that’s the color of the membrane – whereas Goretex fabrics are typically a membrane sandwiched between two woven layers, this jacket is made from just the membrane itself. And yes, it seems that Gore is having some technical difficulty in making the membrane another color."

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:


Top
   
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:32 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:40 pm
Posts: 588
Alright. Review time!

So based on my amazing experience with the Gabba, I decided to order the castelli idro jacket. The quality of the jacket is great, I like the reflective details, the zips, and the overall look is really "pro". Seams are sealed and I like the stealth look of the material. It's also very light and very packable.

Unfortunately as soon as I tried on the jacket I realized that the fit is awful. I'm a short and lightish guy at 5'7" & 130lbs (170cm / 60kg). I ordered the small one and it's huge on me. In the front, the jacket is super long resulting the jacket being bumpy in the front, especially on the bike and with fully closed zipper. The sleeves are very long and roomy for me too. My rapha pro sizing is also small, so I found the fit disappointing. Especially that they don't have extra small.

Given I had no size to size down I decided to try it during my commute. And see how well the new gore material works. I have a 11-mile long commute with a few short hills to climb. I usually do this in 40 minutes and I like to ride moderate / hard instead of just coasting around. This morning the temperature was 49-52 fahrenheit (9-10 C), we had some rain during the early morning hours so the pavement was wet, but it wasn't raining. The humidity was fairly high at 87%, the wind was moderate and it was partly cloudy. I wore a merino short sleeve baselayer with a very lightweight jersey under it. It was chilly and I think I wasn't overdressed. I opened the zipper about 1/4, opened the rear access zipper and started my ride.

I have a short 4-5 minute climb 10 minutes into my route. I like to push this a little bit more than I should to warm myself up. At the top of the climb, just 14 minutes into my commute I already started to feel sweat building up in the sleeves of the jacket. I unzipped the jacket halfway and continued my ride.

When I got to our office, sweat was literally dripping from the sleeves of the jacket. The inside of the jacket after 30 minutes of hanging was still damp. I think I don't have to say how disappointed I am now. Basically it worked like all of my previous rain jackets. The only improvement I can mention is the marginally better next to skin feel of this material. Does it breath better? Maybe, marginally. But it's not a magic material and as soon as you start to work moderately hard you will be wet almost instantly inside.

I found this whole experience very disappointing because I was hoping for much better performance. I read all but great reviews about this jacket and now I'm kind of clueless how I'm different from those folks. I can buy any cheap rain jacket that's waterproof and serves as a protective shel I can put on when I ride easy or start a descend. Paying $350 + tax for something that might be 5% better than any rain jacket is crazy.

So my advice is to use the Gabba for moderate to hard riding and forget about staying dry. Or just use ANY rain jacket if you want to ride at low intensity.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Rain jackets: 7mesh Oro vs. Castelli Idro vs. Gore One

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

vinuneuro

31

5185

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:36 pm

nemeseri View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Rain overshoes

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

Attermann

31

2464

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:29 pm

TonyM View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Good rain overshoes other than velotoze

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

nemeseri

28

3136

Thu May 04, 2017 11:10 am

dalex View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Stages & pioneer powermeter and rain?

in Road

TonyM

11

645

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:40 pm

GothicCastle View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Assos Air Jacket 851 Replacement

in Road

joeyb1000

6

749

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:51 am

kgt View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crewman, glam2deaf, Google Adsense [Bot], MagicShite, tnc1970 and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited