Rain jackets: castelli idro vs gore one gtx vs poc rain jacket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Jhomewood wrote:The big difference in the variance of experience with moisture building up in these jackets probably comes down to how much the individual perspires. I, thankfully, don't sweat much, but I (and i'm sure we all know somebody) know people who sweat a lot, regardless of it being warm or cold. Also, it could depend on the humidity of your local climate. if you live in Arizona, it's probably pretty damn dry there all the time, you likely will be as well. If you live in the rainforest, sure as hell, you're going to be wet.

just my two cents.

Yes. This is probably the reason. I think I sweat a lot. AND while 87% humidity and 50 fahrenheit doesn't seems to be much, it might make some difference in the sleeves when the temperature rises inside. Or it doesn't matter?

mpulsiv wrote:
KWalker wrote:Which confirms my point that Castelli seems to have a lack of design knowledge that is inherent in many of their products. I did not know about Gore brand separation, but would imagine that they still retain some knowledge of how to, for example, properly bond a seam as Castelli has not.

Castelli focus on fashion rather than functionality. I try to like their products but they disappoint every time. I broke up with Castelli years ago. They lure you with European fashion.

I beg to disagree. In my experience the rosso corsa line garments are very well thought out and have OK quality. What I don't like about castelli is the design. It falls short compared to rapha / assos (although they got a bit better).

On the other hand their cheap stuff might lack some details, longevity, but hey I bought their nanoflex bibshorts on sale for $90 and it's amazing for the price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Indeed --> If you are serious about biking you should only use the "Rosso Corsa" line from Castelli.
The "Idro", "Pave" and "Riparo" jackets are not "rosso corsa" products.

The "rosso corsa" rain jacket (the one that is used from the pros - as well as the Gabba series) is the tempesta rain jacket.
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Produc ... 451551017P

nemeseri

by nemeseri

TonyM wrote:Indeed --> If you are serious about biking you should only use the "Rosso Corsa" line from Castelli.

The "rosso corsa" rain jacket (the one that is used from the pros - as well as the Gabba series) is the tempesta rain jacket.

Again. I beg to disagree. I believe that there are great pieces outside the rosso corsa line. What throws me off with castelli is usually the design or maybe sometimes the fit. The Idro jacket is the first garment that made me disappointed from a performance point of view. BTW interestingly the site doesn't list the jacket as rosso corsa, but the jacket had a paper "posso corsa " label interestingly.

TonyM

by TonyM

nemeseri wrote:
TonyM wrote:Indeed --> If you are serious about biking you should only use the "Rosso Corsa" line from Castelli.

Again. I beg to disagree. I believe that there are great pieces outside the rosso corsa line. What throws me off with castelli is usually the design or maybe sometimes the fit. The Idro jacket is the first garment that made me disappointed from a performance point of view. BTW interestingly the site doesn't list the jacket as rosso corsa, but the jacket had a paper "posso corsa " label interestingly.

The pros use the tempesta rain jacket and seem to be happy with it. Why would you use the idro and not the tempesta?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

The pros use the tempesta rain jacket and seem to be happy with it. Why would you use the idro and not the tempesta?

Pro's ride, use and wear sponsored equipment and apparel. If Castelli promote the tempesta jacket, then they'll wear the tempesta until inventory is low.

In grand scheme of things - we mimic Pro's in this sport. Most of you are not as flexible, though you try to ride with flat back with slammed stem. Most of you get deep carbon wheels for aesthetics to mimic Pro's, yet you don't race. Most of you kitty up in a race kit (e.g., bib, jersey) of the team that you don't race for.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

TonyM

by TonyM

mpulsiv wrote:

Pro's ride, use and wear sponsored equipment and apparel. If Castelli promote the tempesta jacket, then they'll wear the tempesta until inventory is low.

In grand scheme of things - we mimic Pro's in this sport. Most of you are not as flexible, though you try to ride with flat back with slammed stem. Most of you get deep carbon wheels for aesthetics to mimic Pro's, yet you don't race. Most of you kitty up in a race kit (e.g., bib, jersey) of the team that you don't race for.

Sorry that was a metapher.....
But why using a lower quality and then complain? You get what you pay for!

BTW Pros use what the sponsors give - but only as long as it is not a lower quality....and look at the amateur they also use the tempesta and not the idro....

But you are right most of the bikers here don't race in high level....but spend lot of money.....good for the business...

You may be right, use the idro, complain and then buy another one. Also good for the business...

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

TonyM wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:

BTW Pros use what the sponsors give - but only as long as it is not a lower quality....and look at the amateur they also use the tempesta and not the idro....

But you are right most of the bikers here don't race in high level....but spend lot of money.....good for the business...

You may be right, use the idro, complain and then buy another one. Also good for the business...

Yes, hence reason this industry is doing well. Why do you think industry is pushing the envelope for all of us to retire rim brakes that have been working fine for over 100 years? We live in consumerism world. If you analyze at historical data of purchases by cyclists, you will see that deep carbon wheels is the pivot. We buy deep carbon wheels for aesthetics and marginal aero gains is a freebie. This is a proven fact. This is where China start dipping into the market.
The industry has been fairly steady but in last ~10 years it has been "hockey stick" effect on the charts. The next wave is the graphene frames.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

TonyM wrote:The pros use the tempesta rain jacket and seem to be happy with it. Why would you use the idro and not the tempesta?

Wow. I don't know how we ended up with disc brakes and what pros use. This thread was mainly about three/four rain shells and focused on the newish gore shakedry material that is applauded as the most breathable waterproof fabric in the industry. I bought the idro jacket because I needed a super lightweight rain shel that's breathable. The tempesta jacket is a rain jacket with pockets, thicker material and less packable.

Also. Where did you see pros using the tempesta jacket? Team sky has a special light rain jacket and that's not a tempesta nor the idro:
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Produc ... 400709117P

TonyM wrote:But why using a lower quality and then complain? You get what you pay for! [...] You may be right, use the idro, complain and then buy another one. Also good for the business...

Well... Lower quality? For $350 + tax? Interesting. The idro currently probably one of the most expensive rain shel available apart from super high-end stuff (chapter III / assos).

Again. I don't want to trash any brands / jackets here. I just wanted to point out that it didn't work for me. And based on what I read I highly doubt that any rain jackets will work for me. Probably this is a personal thing.

TonyM

by TonyM

mpulsiv wrote:
TonyM wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:

Yes, hence reason this industry is doing well. Why do you think industry is pushing the envelope for all of us to retire rim brakes that have been working fine for over 100 years? We live in consumerism world. If you analyze at historical data of purchases by cyclists, you will see that deep carbon wheels is the pivot. We buy deep carbon wheels for aesthetics and marginal aero gains is a freebie. This is a proven fact. This is where China start dipping into the market.
The industry has been fairly steady but in last ~10 years it has been "hockey stick" effect on the charts. The next wave is the graphene frames.

Yes I totally agree on that!!!

TonyM

by TonyM

nemeseri wrote:
TonyM wrote:The pros use the tempesta rain jacket and seem to be happy with it. Why would you use the idro and not the tempesta?

Wow. I don't know how we ended up with disc brakes and what pros use. This thread was mainly about three/four rain shells and focused on the newish gore shakedry material that is applauded as the most breathable waterproof fabric in the industry. I bought the idro jacket because I needed a super lightweight rain shel that's breathable. The tempesta jacket is a rain jacket with pockets, thicker material and less packable.

Also. Where did you see pros using the tempesta jacket? Team sky has a special light rain jacket and that's not a tempesta nor the idro:
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Produc ... 400709117P

TonyM wrote:But why using a lower quality and then complain? You get what you pay for! [...] You may be right, use the idro, complain and then buy another one. Also good for the business...

Well... Lower quality? For $350 + tax? Interesting. The idro currently probably one of the most expensive rain shel available apart from super high-end stuff (chapter III / assos).

Again. I don't want to trash any brands / jackets here. I just wanted to point out that it didn't work for me. And based on what I read I highly doubt that any rain jackets will work for me. Probably this is a personal thing.

I meant it is a "lower quality" compared to the Tempesta, Gore One etc... not a "low quality"

And yes the pricing is pretty expensive for this jacket. But pricing is a marketing issue.

The (marketing) belief that "expensive"="excellent quality" is wrong.

-> My advice: try the Gore One as I stated previously [emoji6] I am very happy with it.

(BTW don't look only at Sky - except if you are English...LOl..the Castelli Tempesta was used by other Pro teams in the last years)

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

JKolmo wrote:
mpulsiv wrote: I think Gore will release new colors next season.

Interesting info! I assume we are talking about the Gore Tex active fabric, as in the 7mesh Oro, Castelli Idro, and the Gore One? Would be very good if they released it in more visible colors than black. Do you have a reliable source for this? Are we talking the 2017-18 season?

In case you are waiting on colorful selection www.bikerumor.com/2017/09/13/eb17-gore- ... nduro-line