Cannondale please: a new system six evo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JoSpr

by JoSpr

Hi,
For many years I ride Cannondale race bikes. System Six, Super Six, Super Six Evo.
Now I am searching for a new bik but Cannondale isn't my first choice anymore.
I'm missing that special something Cannondale used to have.

My favourite bike is still the System Six. Oversized tubes, SI with nice stem....(now seen on other brands)
Ok, the Evo's performance is much better, but hasn't the looks I want.

Couls you make an all new System Six: the System Six evo.
Oversized tubes, full carbon (old system six was hybrid)
SI stem/handlebar and sisl crank
Electronic shifting, disk brake option
25 mm tires
Wheels like Fulcrum zero
custom paint option

Please.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

The System Six was awesome. I still think it was the best frame I've owned.

I was pretty devastated when mine cracked after being hit by a car.

kgt

by kgt

I agree. System Six was looking like something really special while the new supersix is just boring. It certainly looks much worse than it performs.

Sizzler

by Sizzler

I've also been thinking about this topic lately, and how Cannondale used to be unique and innovative, pushing the limits of aluminum, experimenting with new sizes/standards and taking pride in being built in the US. Some ideas worked and some didn't but they weren't afraid to try new things. In my opinion, the SystemSix was the culmination of these efforts, using the best technology from their CAAD series and expanding what they learned about carbon from their Six13 series to create an truly unique frameset.

Now, I'm not saying it was the greatest bike that ever lived. I've owned a CAAD10 and was very happy with it, and I have no doubt that current Evo Hi-Mod frames have a lot more to offer in terms of performance. However, it does feel like their latest offerings are missing that special sauce that made them unique, and it would be great to see them produce something that's actually different than yet another aluminum frame with even thinner tubing and another carbon frame with even more tuned layups. Easier said than done I'm sure!
Last edited by Sizzler on Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

I'm not really sure what is being asked for in this thread. With the exception of custom paint, almost all of the items on the wish list are available (i.e. disk brakes, electronic shifting). Another theme seems to be the current evo hi-mod frame is a good performer. How should cannondale operationalize "something special"?

The current hi-mod evo is a stellar frame that performs very well. I do agree that some of the paint schemes are hit and miss. Sounds like most of the complaints could be solved by purchasing a frame, getting a custom paint job, and building up as you see fit!

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Interesting opinions. For me the cannondale road lineup means classic look, well balanced geometry, very good and light stock components (stem, crank etc.). They offer one of the lightest bikes at a given price point with great performance and warranty. They responded instantly to the road disc brake market needs... they have bikes with the latest dura ace and etap.

What's that "special sauce" or "special something" that you miss? A new BB standard? A new seat post diameter? :roll:

My only problem is that they only offer custom paint options in Japan.

wingguy

by wingguy

cdncyclist wrote:How should cannondale operationalize "something special"?

As far as I can make out, the OP just wants the tubes to be fat again :noidea:

I'm sure Cannondale will be right on that when they hear it :wink:

Sizzler

by Sizzler

nemeseri wrote:What's that "special sauce" or "special something" that you miss? A new BB standard? A new seat post diameter? :roll:

No, they covered that with the 25.4 seatpost and BB30a. And no, the answer is not fat tubes. The problem is that it's difficult to define and describe a special quality and while they produce some amazing frames, they are far from interesting.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I get what he is saying. He prefers the look of an older iteration frame. While I totally love my 2016 Orca OMR, I do wish they could bring back the crazy lay-up shapes of the 2012-2013 Orcas. I do agree that the OP would probably be thrilled with a super six with custom paint. I like my Orca a lot better with custom and unique paint work through the "My O" program.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

madik

by madik

cdncyclist wrote:I'm not really sure what is being asked for in this thread. With the exception of custom paint, almost all of the items on the wish list are available (i.e. disk brakes, electronic shifting). Another theme seems to be the current evo hi-mod frame is a good performer. How should cannondale operationalize "something special"?

The current hi-mod evo is a stellar frame that performs very well. I do agree that some of the paint schemes are hit and miss. Sounds like most of the complaints could be solved by purchasing a frame, getting a custom paint job, and building up as you see fit!

Supersix Evo looks too boring and oldschool with narrow round tubes, parallel top tube. Some people likes it, probably the ones who likes steel frames. Hope they will bright some aero focused bike on the market soon. Feeling kind of sad for the Cannondale Drapac Team members :)
Functionality > Performance > Weight

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

madik wrote:Supersix Evo looks too boring and oldschool with narrow round tubes, parallel top tube. Some people likes it, probably the ones who likes steel frames. Hope they will bright some aero focused bike on the market soon. Feeling kind of sad for the Cannondale Drapac Team members :)

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion. However, some of us are skeptical about new frame shapes - I want to be sure there is a net positive (i.e. aero gains vs. performance vs. comfort) - while aero frames are definitely getting better, there are many of us who feel the compromises may not be worth it. Classic shapes are, well, classic, and have appeal to some.

I would be really interested to see how the subtle kam - shaping (such as introduced with the most recent evo) perform from an aero perspective. I don't have the new frame, but I would much rather have small aero gains without a compromise in other handling / comfort attributes that cannondale frames are praised for.

allenpg

by allenpg

I agree that the SuperSix was an amazing frame, but I absolutely love the new Hi-Mod. Ironically, I get lots of compliments on it's looks (the deeper blue pain). I'd rather have an awesome frame vs one just for looks. As far as aero frames, I really don't see myself needing one since I'm not contesting 35 MPH sprints where it really matters. I put my aero geekness into my TT bike... :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JoSpr

by JoSpr

Aero isn't an issue. If I wear a jeacket etc. Aero is gone. Oversized tubes are indeed good looking. Just want a tough looking, allround bike with up to date components.