Inners and outers for gear cables?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alastairb

by alastairb

Traditionally I've always done the full job; inners & outers, and bar re-wrap but am really pressed for time right now; is it worth doing just the inners? Guessing you still get quite a lot of drag from all the coating that came off the previous cables?
Similarly, always used Shimano cables - normally 9000 with polymer coating; beautifully smooth for a couple of months, but the shift quality doesn't last long.
Any recommendations on good mid range cable sets (Dura Ace is ~ £30 in the UK).
Many thanks.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I can seriously recommend Jagwire Elite. They also sell a revised cable, ultra slick uncoated.
http://jagwire.com/products/inner-wire.

The coating on Shimanos cables easily wears off and is actually making things worse!

The housing and liner is very stiff and won't compress. It's not funny if you cut to much here. Rather too little and take it apart and cut again.
But the shifting is very good!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I've just ordered Tune housing:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/5x-Tune-Bowdenzu ... XQMmJRIenH
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138771&p=1228931&hilit=Tune+mtb+housing#p1228931

I've new Jagwire shift cables. Won't mind trying what Sugarkane swears by viz Aican DLC. Weightweenies should go KCNC titanium but not me because of price.

Currently Campag.
Less is more.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Does anyone have weights for different housings, say average weight for housing on a cabled up frame or maybe g per meter? I'm going to go ti KCNC in future and wondering whether to swap out my i-links at the same time - unfortunately I didn't weigh each element separately.

I'm thinking of tune housing at the moment. Xena coloured his housing with permanent marker and said it looked good. Has anyone else tried this and have pics to share? IME colouring in on plastic could leave a dull, nasty finish.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I just recently installed jagwire elite link cables on both of my bikes... previously, I had been using Dura-ace cables and I will echo the statements above that the dura-ace cable coating wears off and ultimately ends up clogging the cable housing, using more drag. Keep in mind that I'm talking about cables with 6K-10K miles on the bikes they were on.

So far, the elite link cables feel great, but I've only got a few hundred miles on each bike. The shifting is crisp and direct and feels great.

alastairb

by alastairb

Sounds like the Elites are the ones to go with; Duration Ace (polymer coating) are lovely, for a very short period.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

tommasini

by tommasini

I am in the process of building a bike using Fasi Niro Glide/Turbo Plus. It is 28g/meter for brake, and 18g/meter for derailleur. Waiting on handlebars so the cabling is not yet installed - will report back once done. I like it cause it has a vinyl outer same as regular housing.

On that Tune housing, I think it is 6mm outer diameter vs std 4mm..........so you likely will run into an obstacle where it goes into shifters and ferules/frame stops.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Niro turbo is pathetic. Not worth the weight saving

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

tommasini wrote: On that Tune housing, I think it is 6mm outer diameter vs std 4mm..........so you likely will run into an obstacle where it goes into shifters and ferules/frame stops.

Tune housing users, talk us through the installation please... tips any additional sundry needed?

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Yokozuna isn't especially light, but works great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com