Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:44 pm
Posts: 121
Hi

I've just ordered a Trek Domane SLR Frameset and would like to use dura ace direct mount brakes. Does anybody know if I need a front / rear set or two of the same brake.

Many thanks


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:10 am
Posts: 329
Like my Fuji Transonic I see a direct mount brake on the seat stays of the Domane. This would be the "front" model brake. The "rear" model DM brake is a weird design meant to fit next to the crankset beneath the chainstays. So you need 2 front brakes.


Top
   
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:54 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 204
Just answering this in a different thread...

You essentially need 2 fronts. Shimano DO make a rear (that looks exactly like the front) but with slightly longer mounting bolts. it is the RS version. Not to be confused with the 'rear' version that looks completely different and goes under the BB on some bikes.

_________________
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:44 pm
Posts: 121
Perfect thanks for your help. Do you know if I'll need the RS version for the rear, or are two fronts ok?

Cheers


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:10 am
Posts: 329
Pokerface07 wrote:
Just answering this in a different thread...

You essentially need 2 fronts. Shimano DO make a rear (that looks exactly like the front) but with slightly longer mounting bolts. it is the RS version. Not to be confused with the 'rear' version that looks completely different and goes under the BB on some bikes.

I don't think that "RS" existed a year ago when I was putting 9000 series DM brakes on my Fuji. Are there some frames that can't take the fronts in the rear and need these longer bolts? Sounds like a needless confusion.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 204
Flint wrote:
Perfect thanks for your help. Do you know if I'll need the RS version for the rear, or are two fronts ok?

Cheers


2 fronts is fine.

_________________
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 204
Lelandjt wrote:
Pokerface07 wrote:
Just answering this in a different thread...

You essentially need 2 fronts. Shimano DO make a rear (that looks exactly like the front) but with slightly longer mounting bolts. it is the RS version. Not to be confused with the 'rear' version that looks completely different and goes under the BB on some bikes.

I don't think that "RS" existed a year ago when I was putting 9000 series DM brakes on my Fuji. Are there some frames that can't take the fronts in the rear and need these longer bolts? Sounds like a needless confusion.



I am assuming that the longer bolts just provide a stronger attachment to the bike. Possibly the rear needs to be attached better as the brake is being pulled away from the frame whereas the front is being pulled towards it.

For me - the extra 1-2mm isn't a significant difference and I don't think I put that much stress on the brakes!

It was probably a solution to a problem that existed in the Pro ranks.

_________________
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:44 pm
Posts: 121
Perfect, cheers


Top
   
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:38 pm 


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Help disassembling Trek Domane 6 Series

in Road

Danza

2

589

Sat May 20, 2017 11:49 pm

MoreRideTime View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Dura ace 9000 V 9100 brakes

in Road

scottmmw

5

1083

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:51 pm

evan326 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Anyone tried 9100 brakes on etap?

in Road

Nejmann

5

897

Sat May 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Daniel1975 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. dura ace 9100 can't cross chain

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

il professore

38

2851

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:23 pm

coloclimber View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Dura-Ace 9100/9150 and 10 speed

in Road

fosen

6

1103

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:23 am

egebhardt View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], karmaz, morganb, Shrike, Yahoo [Bot] and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited