Dura Ace brakes 9100 series for Trek Domane SLR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Flint

by Flint

Hi

I've just ordered a Trek Domane SLR Frameset and would like to use dura ace direct mount brakes. Does anybody know if I need a front / rear set or two of the same brake.

Many thanks

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Like my Fuji Transonic I see a direct mount brake on the seat stays of the Domane. This would be the "front" model brake. The "rear" model DM brake is a weird design meant to fit next to the crankset beneath the chainstays. So you need 2 front brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Just answering this in a different thread...

You essentially need 2 fronts. Shimano DO make a rear (that looks exactly like the front) but with slightly longer mounting bolts. it is the RS version. Not to be confused with the 'rear' version that looks completely different and goes under the BB on some bikes.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

Flint

by Flint

Perfect thanks for your help. Do you know if I'll need the RS version for the rear, or are two fronts ok?

Cheers

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Pokerface07 wrote:Just answering this in a different thread...

You essentially need 2 fronts. Shimano DO make a rear (that looks exactly like the front) but with slightly longer mounting bolts. it is the RS version. Not to be confused with the 'rear' version that looks completely different and goes under the BB on some bikes.

I don't think that "RS" existed a year ago when I was putting 9000 series DM brakes on my Fuji. Are there some frames that can't take the fronts in the rear and need these longer bolts? Sounds like a needless confusion.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Flint wrote:Perfect thanks for your help. Do you know if I'll need the RS version for the rear, or are two fronts ok?

Cheers

2 fronts is fine.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Lelandjt wrote:
Pokerface07 wrote:Just answering this in a different thread...

I don't think that "RS" existed a year ago when I was putting 9000 series DM brakes on my Fuji. Are there some frames that can't take the fronts in the rear and need these longer bolts? Sounds like a needless confusion.

I am assuming that the longer bolts just provide a stronger attachment to the bike. Possibly the rear needs to be attached better as the brake is being pulled away from the frame whereas the front is being pulled towards it.

For me - the extra 1-2mm isn't a significant difference and I don't think I put that much stress on the brakes!

It was probably a solution to a problem that existed in the Pro ranks.

Flint

by Flint

Perfect, cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com