Scott Foil vs. Addict

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

IIRC there's something like a 400g penalty between the addict sl and hmx foil framesets.
Geometries are pretty similar if not identical.
Differences in stiffness or aero are not known to me but I'm sure there's a tour magazine article with exactly those details.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

DaVinci wrote:
topflightpro wrote:Must you stay with a Scott?

I was also considering the Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bi ... 88/100717/

I love my Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0. It's an awesome bike that comes with some awesome carbon wheels.

ceee

by ceee

I do have a scott addict 10 2014 and really love it. I wanted a second bike and I doubted between a foil and a second Addict. I did a ride with a foil from a teammate and found it a little bit more comfortable but I don't like the looks in size xs. Also in my team are some riders who have problems with the rear brake rubbing while sprinting. I opted for a second addict because it's the best bike I ever had and I could get a frame for a really good price trought my team.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

On-topic: Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the Scott-sponsored World Tour teams mostly been riding the FOIL over the Addict. If true, that says something to me about "aero over weight" despite not wanting to hear it.

Ever so slightly off-topic: Just recently spotted this F01L w/Di2 at one of the SCOTT headquarters... it might be the same one in the link below! The dead giveaway are the two same flat tires. What's the chances two Red Bull FOIL's would have flats front and back?! Ha.

Red Bull Infiniti racing? I wasn't aware of their co-branding with Scott.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/scott-mo ... -look.html

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

It says something about "aero over weight"......At world tour speeds.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

that, and there could well be an element of corporate marketing, i.e.: please race this bike most of the time.

marketing ppl and stupid mag writers love to say "this bike won this WT race" so it's a good bike.

as if a different top-end bike or model would have resulted in a much worse race outcome...

russianbear

by russianbear

Seems like Orica was on Foils last year and IAM on Addicts. So both were represented.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

russianbear wrote:Seems like Orica was on Foils last year and IAM on Addicts. So both were represented.

Thanks for the clarification on IAM.

What's Orica-Scott primarily riding this season?

The FOIL is plenty nice, but I'm a fan of the lighter Addict for the record.

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

With the 2017 Foil & Addict, there really isn't much between them (although I heard the Addict was going to get a reboot soon). The new Foil takes all the best parts of the current Addict and joins them together with the Foil, however with the Foil, you have the Aero gains. The Addict is slightly lighter, but if you're a fairly lightweight rider anyway, you'll still beat most people up the hills. As for the rear brake, I don't have the new Foil yet, so can't say for sure, however, I am sure it's something you learn to live with. I clean my old Foil every week without fail, so a bit of grime really wouldn't bother me that much. And let's be honest, we all use the front brake much more than the back.

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

p3dalfaster wrote:With the 2017 Foil & Addict, there really isn't much between them (although I heard the Addict was going to get a reboot soon). The new Foil takes all the best parts of the current Addict and joins them together with the Foil, however with the Foil, you have the Aero gains. The Addict is slightly lighter, but if you're a fairly lightweight rider anyway, you'll still beat most people up the hills. As for the rear brake, I don't have the new Foil yet, so can't say for sure, however, I am sure it's something you learn to live with. I clean my old Foil every week without fail, so a bit of grime really wouldn't bother me that much. And let's be honest, we all use the front brake much more than the back.

What's Orica-Scott primarily riding this season?

They ride the Foil mostly, during the Tours we will see the Addict, and one some of the cobbled 1 day races you might even see the Solace - although with the new Foil being so compliant, maybe not this year :)

russianbear

by russianbear

p3dalfaster wrote:With the 2017 Foil & Addict, there really isn't much between them (although I heard the Addict was going to get a reboot soon). The new Foil takes all the best parts of the current Addict and joins them together with the Foil, however with the Foil, you have the Aero gains. The Addict is slightly lighter, but if you're a fairly lightweight rider anyway, you'll still beat most people up the hills. As for the rear brake, I don't have the new Foil yet, so can't say for sure, however, I am sure it's something you learn to live with. I clean my old Foil every week without fail, so a bit of grime really wouldn't bother me that much. And let's be honest, we all use the front brake much more than the back.

The Addict is relatively aero according to Tour's testing. It was second behind the R5 in the non aero bike test.

DaVinci

by DaVinci

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I test rode both bikes and loved each of them. I was not sold on the 'feel' of the Foil's BB mounted rear brake; just didn't seem as responsive as seat stay mounted. I also realized that as much as I love it, my current 2006 Scott CR1 is truly old and so incredibly less compliant the 2016 Foil and Addict. So in this regard, both bikes were a major improvement.

As for the decision, I'm in a precarious position. I can grab a 2016 Foil 20 for $3,500 CAD or the 2017 Addict for $4,100 CAD. My cheap-ass instincts scream, "get the cheaper bike"...not to mention that I find the Foil so much more sexier than the Addict. However, I think the Addict will ultimately suit my needs best.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help!

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

Nice one, hope you enjoy the new bike :)
Post some pics when you have time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com