Can I add a new 9150 Di2 Battery with blue tooth to my 9070

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have a Shimano Di2 in 9070 with the older style battery. I was wondering if I upgraded to the newer, more expensive, Di2 battery which has the bluetooth electronics would I be able to communicate with my bluetooth cell phone like the newer 9150 model?? I am having a hard time determining which parts are cross compatible (9070 vs 9150). Any help would be great.

glepore

by glepore

My understanding, and yes, the horizon isn't clear, is that you need both the battery and a wireless unit, either the standalone or a junction with one built in. The battery itself won't communicate.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

Yes. If your battery is internal, you need the new model BT-DN110. You also need either the new d-fly unit (EW-WU101 ) or the new inline transmitter (EW-WU111).

allenpg

by allenpg

MoreRideTime wrote:Yes. If your battery is internal, you need the new model BT-DN110. You also need either the new d-fly unit (EW-WU101 ) or the new inline transmitter (EW-WU111).

I just installed the new battery and D-Fly today with my 9070 drivetrain. Works perfectly. I upgraded the firmware using my BCR2 charger. I also downloaded the E-Tube app for my Ipad and got it to connect via bluetooth.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

If I upgrade the battery to the new blue-tooth version can I also use the handlebar end charging port?

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Can I use the 9150 rear derailor with my existing 9070 system?

What do I need to get the synchronized shifting?

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

You need to have both 9150 front and rear derailleur to get synchronized shifting.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

idinfo68

by idinfo68

www.baron-noir.com

Specialized Aethos SUB5
Specialized Tarmac SL8 - 5.35 kgs
Specialized Tarmac SL6 - 5.16 kgs
Scott SPARK RC 900 SL SUB 8
Specialized Epic HT - 6.18 kgs

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

mnmasotto wrote:If I upgrade the battery to the new blue-tooth version can I also use the handlebar end charging port?

Yes. But I think the new bar-end junction box works with all the old (9070) components. You don't need the new battery and D-Fly to use it.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

mnmasotto wrote:Can I use the 9150 rear derailor with my existing 9070 system?

You can use the 9150 rear with 9070 no problem but as previous poster said, you need both the front and rear 9150 mechs to do synchro shifting.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

ruskie

by ruskie

So, as someone who has just put a 9150 rear derailleur on a 6870/9070 setup, the rear derailleur comes STANDARD with semi-synchro shifting. All parts software updated, all e-tube software updated and there is no option to turn on/off the semi synchro shifting.

strangely

by strangely

ruskie wrote:So, as someone who has just put a 9150 rear derailleur on a 6870/9070 setup, the rear derailleur comes STANDARD with semi-synchro shifting. All parts software updated, all e-tube software updated and there is no option to turn on/off the semi synchro shifting.

The front Junction should have also gotten the update that allows it to be turned on and off. You just need to press the button for 2 seconds (each time) to cycle between the 3 modes which are off, semi sync and full sync. Since you don't have the front derailleur, though it might only give you 2 choices for shift mode, or maybe none at all.

kode54

by kode54

mnmasotto wrote:Can I use the 9150 rear derailor with my existing 9070 system?

Mark,

it all depends on what new features you want. if you want to use bluetooth to update firmware on all your connected items...you'll need the new in line or external bluetooth/ANT+ transmitter plus the new battery.
if you want synchro shifting...you'll need above two items plus a new FD and RD.
if you want the easier to press buttons on the ST-9150 to program...then you'll have to add the new shifters.

i probably will just start with one new battery and WU111 and go from there. you can plug it in and update the firmware on everything, switch it to another bike and do the same. i'm actually not all that interested in synchro shifting but would like to hear any real use on the road reviews and decide later.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

ruskie wrote:So, as someone who has just put a 9150 rear derailleur on a 6870/9070 setup, the rear derailleur comes STANDARD with semi-synchro shifting. All parts software updated, all e-tube software updated and there is no option to turn on/off the semi synchro shifting.

i think a new version of the app will allow that. seems that it is not available yet with mixed parts.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ms6073

by ms6073

I installed the new battery and 9150 front and rear derailleurs on the wife's bike last weekend and can access the E-Tube synchro shift options, but the bike does not syncro shift. I am expecting 9050 shifters tomorrow as well but from what has been stated above, seems sync shifting still won't be available. With that said, I also had to incorrectly set the chain ring sizes to 53/39 - wonder if 52/38 would work (she has Absolute Black 50/34 rings), in order to deselect the option to prevent cross-chaining to smallest rear cogs.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com