Lightweight Urgestaldt

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roadeeee

by Roadeeee

Four strikes...YOU'RE OUT! I thought I'd share my horrible experience with Lightweight and their Urgestaldt frame to prevent my weight weenie friends from the same fate. As I stated about, I gave up after 4 frames. The seat post slipped horribly on the first frame, the seat tube cracked on the second frame, the seat post slipped again on the third frame (even after me trying a thicker carbon past and gluing sand paper to the shim) and the bottom bracket was so out of spec on the fourth frame that the press in bottom bracket almost fell out! Instead of refunding my money (as requested), Lightweight sent ANOTHER frame (which I lost a lot of money on selling on eBay). I wish I had all the time, money and mileage back I've spent the last 3 years. :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Urgh! Scary story... do you have pictures of the problems?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

That's awful considering the price and the fact it's marketed as a premium product.

sungod

by sungod

one post

three years

why wait so long to tell your "weight weenie friends"

can't recall anyone else reporting such issues nor does google find similar reports

kcookie has one, judging by posts he's happy with it

if i had three of anything that bad i'd have my money back, there're excellent consumer protection laws

doesn't smell right

KCookie

by KCookie

I did have the same problem with my first frame that the seat post kept slipping. Took a year to get a replacement frame. I did speak to consumer affairs about my situation and you are entitled to a full refund.
Haven't had any issues with the new frame, so all is good atm.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

I totally believe it...i always appreciate to hear the consumer's side of the story. One additional benefit of WW.

Anyhow, they are finalizing the 2018 frameset and i heard it won't have the same internal clamp, among other things.
Disc version close to finalized a few weeks back, so even the rim version should become available spring/summer last time i heard.

PS specifically: no internal seatpost clamp at all, if i understood correctly
Last edited by vlastrada on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

KCookie

by KCookie

Don't know how much of a lie I've been told, but the frame I've got is supposed to have the new clamping system that's why I had to wait so long.
I also forgot to mention on the old frame that the post was on a twist as well, the saddle pointed to the left my 10mm.

KCookie

by KCookie

4ibanez wrote:That's awful considering the price and the fact it's marketed as a premium product.

Totally agree. $7000 Aud frame, you don't expect to get problems.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Urgestalt can't be a premium product other than its price tag... since it just is another outsourced frameset. Sorry for you experiencing such debacle.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

zico88

by zico88

Where is their Urgestaldt made in ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lukester

by Lukester

Asia
C59 PR99 SR EPS
Carbonissimo 00F
Vintage Fuso - Custom Criterium Build
Vintage Masi 3V Volumetrica
Vintage Masi Gran Criterium

Neckkoss

by Neckkoss

Under German supervision, I met the distributor for us, and yes in fact they did have a few issues with the clamping system, I personally didn't have any issues with mine, it was a bit tricky to get it adjusted, you have to use the carbon fiber grip compound and yes tied the clamp a few more pound over the specs but no to the point of breaking it. Just so you guys now the urgestalt second generation is coming later this year.

The design now is set up for disc wheelset and 27.2 seat post with a standard clamp.

This second generation frame is not just a simple update, it has been completely redesigned around the adoption of disc brakes. It uses 12mm thru-axles and flat mount, the frame is still light, though at 850g it’s about 60g heavier than the original. Still, The fork adds about 380g.

It gets full internal gear cable and brake hose routing, with compatibility for electronic groupsets, and a BB386 press-fit bottom bracket. The seatpost is 27.2mm diameter with a regular external seatclamp. There will be six sizes and three colours to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corky

by corky

And now looks very ho hum me too......

KCookie

by KCookie

Looks like the Weiss edition, which are heavier due to the gloss paint. I do like the idea of a normal post and clamp though. Much better than the original system and gives you a choice to change them.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

In Germany a magazine interviewed Lightweight. They claimed the frame had costed 12000 euro + if they have had it made themselves!!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com