Planet X RT-90

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

Just got an email about the release of this new frame. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXRT90/planet-x-rt-90-carbon-road-frameset
It looks like if you don't like the Planet X logo, you can also buy it as a Viner Mitus http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRVIMIT/viner-mitus-carbon-road-frameset.
I know Planet X doesn't elicit the best responses around here, but it looks like a pretty nice frame for the price.

srshaw

by srshaw

I Actually like the look of these, and I currently ride a couple of planet x bikes, but at £1000 these seem expensive. Despite claims of R&D surely these are just rebadged chinese frames. Nothing wrong with this I suppose. I have been very pleased with my current pro carbon and uncle john.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

It does look like a pretty good value!

But I think the PedalForce group buys were better.

eric

by eric

The Planet X looks like an FM-066SL. Of course there's no way to know if it's from the same mold but with a different layup.

srshaw

by srshaw

Indeed it does, or the fm069. In any case quite expensive those planet x stickers.

Nicos

by Nicos

I saw it too, I think the only value added is the paint, so not much.

Jengaback

by Jengaback

I think a lot of the value added is from the assurances of buying from Planet X rather than a company on the other side of the world which if something goes wrong can quite happily just ignore your angry emails. As a UK ltd company Planet X have to help in the case of a claim. So I think the other £300 is for peace of mind?

srshaw

by srshaw

Jengaback wrote:I think a lot of the value added is from the assurances of buying from Planet X rather than a company on the other side of the world which if something goes wrong can quite happily just ignore your angry emails. As a UK ltd company Planet X have to help in the case of a claim. So I think the other £300 is for peace of mind?

The Chinese frames seem to be about £500 or less. £1000 from planet x seems a little high to me, especially since they now sell the pro carbon for under £400. At £750-800 I think they'd have a customer in me, since as I have mentioned, already have a couple of planet x frames which I am really pleased with, and they are just down the road. I suppose though even at £1K they are still much cheaper than most other frames.

emcardle

by emcardle

Seems pretty dear to me when you can get this: https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3590 for under a grand.
Doesn't look bad though.

KheSanh

by KheSanh

I f you like the RT90 or 80 just wait for them to do a deal on them, they always do. It is a T800 FM066 I'd say as it has the same geometry

Jengaback

by Jengaback

emcardle wrote:Seems pretty dear to me when you can get this: https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3590 for under a grand.
Doesn't look bad though.

For most people, with packaging it cost pretty much same. It also weighs the same so I don't imagine there's much difference between them. Saying that I'd still go for the canyon. [emoji1]

srshaw

by srshaw

Actually there is probably not much between them, but I do like the look of the Canyon. At that price it makes the planet x look a bit pricey.

emcardle

by emcardle

srshaw wrote:Actually there is probably not much between them, but I do like the look of the Canyon. At that price it makes the planet x look a bit pricey.

The planet x frames are most likely open mould.
I would prefer the closed mould as R&D has gone into developing it.
Also the canyon has a much longer warranty.

liam7020

by liam7020

Think it might be a R-077 from Velobuild. The Viner version does look quite tasty.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

khaostik

by khaostik

Just to say that I bought the viner mitus frame in a promotion for 650€ and I regret it.. I also have a canyon ultimate al slx which is basically the same price, but much stiffer and faster... The problem is really the BB flex.. there's too much.. Carbon is not always better than aluminium...

Best regards,

Filipe Dias