Chorus or Record??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

callumghilton

by callumghilton

BRM wrote:So you are not sponsered anymore and need to buy your own bike for the moment.
Does that mean you're going to do races?
Then don't race what you can't replace.
When you crash and need to buy something new you need to have budget for it.
Your budget will tell you what to buy . . . .

:wink:

Nah, lost it when I moved countries. It's true, racing trashes bikes... Especially the mindless and gung ho junior cat..

Chorus it is
Bikes:
TCR 2003
Battaglin Racer - Build about to get underway

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/coffeefueledrider/
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/7927957

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

Well, here I go being the party pooper. Look the frame you bought is a nice frame, but it's only retailing for less than $1900 American but it's on sale for half that right now. I understand that people have a want to get something expensive but is that what you really need?

So here I go with the off the wall suggestion, first let me duck behind my wall so the eggs that will be thrown at me will miss. I think that frame would be suited up fine with Campy Potenza, it's a great mid level groupset that would suit a great mid level frame. And Potenza is at least as good as Ultegra! So in reality Potenza if made by Shimano would be one below Dura Ace and just above Ultegra! And Potenza would save you about $400 over Chorus.

With saving money you could put the money into something that you would really feel the effects like better wheels.

Ok, I'm ducking, commence firing eggs at me.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

You were doing fine until you placed Potenza just below Dura Ace. :)

I have 2015 Chorus and SR groups and both work very similar in terms of shifting and braking. Go for whichever your wallet allows.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

The choice is yours. For the length of time you will have it, the cost difference isn't that much.
But, while I own Chrorus, record and SR on my fleet, I only use Chorus chains and cassettes.

fogman

by fogman

I also use Chorus cassettes with my otherwise Super Record groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

I've just fitted the new Chorus to my CAAD10 and although I haven't ridden it properly yet, it feels like shifting may be even more positive than my 2014 SR and R groupsets on my other bikes! I was trying to decide between Chorus and Potenza but went for Chorus as it's the best all-round price wise and looks in my opinion for a mid range frameset which will be used mainly for training and on my travel bike for hols.

gsindela

by gsindela

froze wrote:Well, here I go being the party pooper. Look the frame you bought is a nice frame, but it's only retailing for less than $1900 American but it's on sale for half that right now. I understand that people have a want to get something expensive but is that what you really need?

So here I go with the off the wall suggestion, first let me duck behind my wall so the eggs that will be thrown at me will miss. I think that frame would be suited up fine with Campy Potenza, it's a great mid level groupset that would suit a great mid level frame. And Potenza is at least as good as Ultegra! So in reality Potenza if made by Shimano would be one below Dura Ace and just above Ultegra! And Potenza would save you about $400 over Chorus.

With saving money you could put the money into something that you would really feel the effects like better wheels.

Ok, I'm ducking, commence firing eggs at me.

Not bad advice here. No eggs from me.
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

Look595

by Look595

May i ask how long do the super record cassette last ? As i just bought a set of SR 2016 groupset.

I went from chorus 2006 to SR 2016 as i only have one bike and i don´t mind to spend abit on getting the bling factor :wink:

froze

by froze

Look595 wrote:May i ask how long do the super record cassette last ? As i just bought a set of SR 2016 groupset.

I went from chorus 2006 to SR 2016 as i only have one bike and i don´t mind to spend abit on getting the bling factor :wink:

Super Record cassette, and the groupset, are made lightweight and for racing purposes only unless you have money to burn. The cassette uses titanium gears for the 6 largest gears for saving weight, but while ti does have some great uses like bike frames it's horrible to use as a gear and wears out very fast compared to a steel gear. While you can replace individual gears, or perhaps never use the top 6 gears and thus never worry about wearing out the expensive TI gears, otherwise you can get away with using less expensive all steel gears and will never know the difference except in your wallet.

Look, I'm a tightwad so I may be giving you answers that are more aimed at saving a person money, you have to decide of course if you want to save money or weight. I will tell you this, the difference in weight between all steel gear and half ti and half steel is only 29 grams or one ounce! you could save more than that with a haircut!!

Geoff

by Geoff

Funny. I remember that debate when I was a Junior (although, then the debate was Nuovo Record or Super Record!). I decided on Nuovo Record and regretted it all season (kids). Forget the naysayers and get what you want. So you'll have to sweep-up at the LBS a few more nights instead of going out with your gal, so what, she'll get used to it. Oh, yeah, use a Chorus cassette...

fogman

by fogman

The weight difference between a Super Record and Chorus cassette is 53 grams. And between Record and Chorus is 39 grams. In my experience, the Chorus cassette wears much better than the higher priced Ti Record and Super Record cassettes. I change my chain approximately every 1200 miles to further reduce cassette wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

I chose 2015 Chorus myself at the end of 2014. But since I have been tempted by many fellow riders to go DI2 and I think its in the same price range as the chorus.

Look595

by Look595

fabriciom wrote:I chose 2015 Chorus myself at the end of 2014. But since I have been tempted by many fellow riders to go DI2 and I think its in the same price range as the chorus.

Personally i still prefer to have campagnolo groupset on my bike as i like the way the hood is and as well as the thumb shifting, tried from Sram/Shimano mechanical/electronic but still really don´t find it nice enough, i always able to use the ultrashift function and move up 3 to 4 gears and have a sudden breakaway easily in my group and i like this function alot, whereas no other brand allow me to do so.

Look595

by Look595

Geoff wrote:Funny. I remember that debate when I was a Junior (although, then the debate was Nuovo Record or Super Record!). I decided on Nuovo Record and regretted it all season (kids). Forget the naysayers and get what you want. So you'll have to sweep-up at the LBS a few more nights instead of going out with your gal, so what, she'll get used to it. Oh, yeah, use a Chorus cassette...

That´s why i went for a SR instead for myself , decide to pamper myself and settle one time, without the needs to keep thinking OH MAN, should have gotten the SR instead and regret

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Look595 wrote:
fabriciom wrote:I chose 2015 Chorus myself at the end of 2014. But since I have been tempted by many fellow riders to go DI2 and I think its in the same price range as the chorus.

Personally i still prefer to have campagnolo groupset on my bike as i like the way the hood is and as well as the thumb shifting, tried from Sram/Shimano mechanical/electronic but still really don´t find it nice enough, i always able to use the ultrashift function and move up 3 to 4 gears and have a sudden breakaway easily in my group and i like this function alot, whereas no other brand allow me to do so.

Di2 has multishift function, you just have to update the firmware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt0kxFownLc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com