Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Chorus or Record??
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:22 pm 

I'm a serious u18 cyclist, building up a Battaglin Racer, wondering whether I should spend the £200 extra for Record or just go for Chorus, what are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/coffeefueledrider/
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/7927957

Post subject: Re: Chorus or Record??
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:36 pm 

There's hardly any difference. Chorus is the best bang for the buck. The price difference though is usually around $400 (300 pounds).

For the difference in price you get a tiny bit more carbon on the derailleurs, 3 titanium cogs in the cassette, and maybe a couple of ti bolts on the brakes (not sure). I think the chain is slightly upgraded as well. Hey, most importantly, you get red logos. :-)

Some folks split the difference by getting a Record group with a Chorus cassette. That saves $100.

Personally, I say put the 300 pound difference towards better wheels, or other parts. You get a much better return on the investment.

Last edited by AJS914 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:36 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:47 pm 

AJS914 wrote:
There's hardly any difference. Chorus is the best bang for the buck. The price difference though is usually around $400 (300 pounds).

For the difference in price you a tiny bit more carbon on the derailleurs, 3 titanium cogs in the cassette, and maybe a couple of ti bolts on the brakes (not sure). I think the chain is slightly upgraded as well. Hey, most importantly, you get red logos. :-)

Some folks split the difference by getting a Record group with a Chorus cassette. That saves $100.

Personally, I say put the 300 pound difference towards better wheels, or other parts. You get a much better return on the investment.

Thanks :thumbup: just felt I needed to ask, I guess it comes down to an image thing, want to look cool with record or save money with Chorus.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:30 am 

F'all difference between Chorus and Record. Super Record is on another level- more carbon on front and rear mech, cult bearings in pulleys and brakes, more fake carbon on shifters plus it says "super" which makes it 100% radder than anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:08 am 

I have SR, Record and Chorus - all Ultra Torque 2011 to 2013 mechanical gruppos with the older 5 arm crank spiders and all with dual pivot brakes front and rear.

Chorus is a tad heavier than Record and does not have red painted logos, otherwise, to me they are both easy to tune and shift flawlessly with a properly clean driveline.

Super Record is the greater step up with it's CULT bearings and weight savings and the f/d on my SR always shifter up to the big ring just a tad sweeter than any of the others.

Chorus is excellent and your best bang for bucks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:14 am 

I would buy record because, as you know, record is quite bit better in every respect!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:32 pm 

So you are not sponsered anymore and need to buy your own bike for the moment.
Does that mean you're going to do races?
Then don't race what you can't replace.
When you crash and need to buy something new you need to have budget for it.
Your budget will tell you what to buy . . . .

:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:13 pm 

Chorus, no doubt.
I have only noticed that SR crankset runs slightly smoother because of its cult bearings. Other than that Chorus is perfect. No need to pay more.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:54 pm 

I'd go all Chorus except two things: Super Record front derailleur (shifts better where it counts) and Record chain (longer lasting and quieter). They will cost around 30-40 bucks more, but it's worth it. The rest is up to your budget.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:04 pm 

How can the SR front derailleur shift any better? The function and throw is exactly the same. Lots of people switch to a Chorus front derailleur after the delicate and unreplacable carbon piece breaks on the Record or SR derailleur.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:34 pm 

callumghilton wrote:
AJS914 wrote:

For the difference in price you a tiny bit more carbon on the derailleurs, 3 titanium cogs in the cassette, and maybe a couple of ti bolts on the brakes (not sure). I think the chain is slightly upgraded as well. Hey, most importantly, you get red logos. :-)

Thanks :thumbup: just felt I needed to ask, I guess it comes down to an image thing, want to look cool with record or save money with Chorus.

You are wise beyond your years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:40 pm 

I've had both SR and Chorus. I traded the SR for a chours group and 400 dollars. the actual mechanical parts inside the shifter that do the shifting are identical between the top 3 campagnolo groups, just the casing and lever blades. Sr, Record and Chorus feel exactly the same, but SR has some weight savings, but the difference in cost would be best spent on other things, like high end tires or wheels. I would however run a record drivetrain(cassette and chain). Not much more expensive and accounts for a lot of the weight savings of Sr or Record compared to chorus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:33 pm 

FWIW... I stole this from another thread, so I deserve almost 0 credit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:15 am 

There's some crazy good deals out there for Chorus Groups. That said if the cost for record was just a couple hundred more, I go for it. That's because I just have an affinity for record due to 80's nostalgia and childhood memories. It was the working man's no-nonsense group for many many years.

That said, I have one bike with 2014 record and one with 2016 Chorus.

Front derailleur shifting was improved in the 2016. That's the noticeable performance difference. I know everyone says mechanically they are almost identical.. but I do notice that the chorus shifters due feel a bit stiffer and slightly less easy to operate then my record shifters. I'm hoping that's just because they still are "breaking in".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:02 am 

MJB wrote:
I have SR, Record and Chorus - all Ultra Torque 2011 to 2013 mechanical gruppos with the older 5 arm crank spiders and all with dual pivot brakes front and rear.

Chorus is a tad heavier than Record and does not have red painted logos, otherwise, to me they are both easy to tune and shift flawlessly with a properly clean driveline.

Super Record is the greater step up with it's CULT bearings and weight savings and the f/d on my SR always shifter up to the big ring just a tad sweeter than any of the others.

Chorus is excellent and your best bang for bucks.

Basically paying for good looks when there is no difference between chorus and record other than that and 50 grams

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:02 am