Ax-lightness Vial EVO Race build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sp3000

by sp3000

I was too busy unpacking! I did grab the big parts though, but in my haste the frame has the tape and guide wire for the brake cables in, also both the BB and headset bearings.
Fork is also with headset bits...
Attachments
IMG_0448.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

This needs its own build thread over in the introduction/gallery section!!!

kode54

by kode54

looks really great...especially with no cable routing holes in the frame.

that's how AX shipped my frame back to me after getting repaired. and interestingly enough, the frame shifted in a similar fashion where the dropout was against the edge of the box...not floating in the middle like it should be.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Size M?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Not seen many vial evos actually built up with full AX parts. Should be sweet. Why not go for AX or THM brakes, as it seems like a money not object build?

sp3000

by sp3000

kode54 wrote:looks really great...especially with no cable routing holes in the frame.

that's how AX shipped my frame back to me after getting repaired. and interestingly enough, the frame shifted in a similar fashion where the dropout was against the edge of the box...not floating in the middle like it should be.

Yeah that's the first thing I noticed too, maybe it slid in the box or there is a small chance it is on purpose? Where the hanger contacts the cardboard there are a couple of layers, the think middle cardboard backing then the box? It hadn't pushed at all on the outer cardboard... but strange none the less when it was packed so well otherwise. Maybe just a wrap of foam on the hanger would have been perfect. But all that said it made it all the way to Australia perfect!

sp3000

by sp3000

mrlobber wrote:Size M?

Yes, and lucky for me that's the only size that frame came in.

sp3000

by sp3000

4ibanez wrote:Not seen many vial evos actually built up with full AX parts. Should be sweet. Why not go for AX or THM brakes, as it seems like a money not object build?

Money is an object :D but my last bike was a 2nd hand Look 585 from 2009 so I decided I'd saved long enough and ridden enough to justify exactly what I wanted! Patrick at Starbike has been a legend and the Aussie dollar is ok against the Euro so it's not too bad for the group..

Regarding the brakes I was told honestly that they may be lighter but if that was not my primary goal the EE performance (or Red) would be much better. It seems silly looking at my parts, but I really just wanted the most beautiful (in my eyes) special bike, not mainstream and I really admire the build quality and attention to detail of Ax. The group and wheels are to be used, so all standard chainrings, cranks etc..

ChengHaoChang

by ChengHaoChang

I'm looking for the ax lightness frame also, but I don't understand what's the difference between Vial EVO Race and Vial EVO ULTRA >"<

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

good call sp3000 the ax brakes look good but i can tell you they don't work that well unlike the EE cycleworks brakes

mrlobber

by mrlobber

ChengHaoChang wrote:I'm looking for the ax lightness frame also, but I don't understand what's the difference between Vial EVO Race and Vial EVO ULTRA

Geometry.

Or just write to AX, if you're specific enough, they will choose Nils as the person to reply to you, then you'll get all the details :thumbup:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

ChengHaoChang

by ChengHaoChang

mrlobber wrote:
ChengHaoChang wrote:I'm looking for the ax lightness frame also, but I don't understand what's the difference between Vial EVO Race and Vial EVO ULTRA

Geometry.

Or just write to AX, if you're specific enough, they will choose Nils as the person to reply to you, then you'll get all the details :thumbup:

I having Cervelo R5, Im looking for new frame for climbing , rely want to know the AX lightness climbing performance !
thank you for your reply !!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

idinfo68

by idinfo68

Hello,

You can compare it with the Cervelo R5 CA edition, very effective and cheaper.

Here is mine : http://ax-lightness.baron-noir.com
www.baron-noir.com

Specialized Aethos SUB5
Specialized Tarmac SL8 - 5.35 kgs
Specialized Tarmac SL6 - 5.16 kgs
Scott SPARK RC 900 SL SUB 8
Specialized Epic HT - 6.18 kgs

ChengHaoChang

by ChengHaoChang

idinfo68 wrote:Hello,

You can compare it with the Cervelo R5 CA edition, very effective and cheaper.

Here is mine : http://ax-lightness.baron-noir.com

Very excited to hear that you said "compare with Cervelo R5ca" !! and Ax-lightness VIAL EVO D is cheaper then VIAL Race & VIAL Ultra !!!!! EVO D is build with THM fork not 3T. :up: :up: :up: :up:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Vial Evo D is a discontinued model, so your only chance is to get an old stock frameset somewhere.