Ax-lightness Vial EVO Race build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Just ordered a pair from Starbike, they helped me get a pair of coloured logo badges too. It got shipped in 6 days.

sp3000

by sp3000

I will order from them too, but at the moment they show out of stock.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sp3000

by sp3000

Looking at B.O.R Germany or Tune chain rings. I don't want to sacrifice any shifting performance for weight so I'd love to hear if anyone has tried these?

Denavelo

by Denavelo

sp3000 wrote:Looking at B.O.R Germany or Tune chain rings. I don't want to sacrifice any shifting performance for weight so I'd love to hear if anyone has tried these?

Extralite rings are the business when it comes to shifting/weight ratio. Other than Extralite, I would only run Praxis rings. Praxis rings are the only rings that I've felt were close to Shimano 7800 in terms of shifting performance. Old 7800 is regarded as one of the best shifting groups ever.

I'm extremely happy with Extralite Compact rings and I weigh 172lbs (78kg)

I really don't want to drop coin on a boutique carbon frame, but the AX lightness has peeked my interest. Also a custom Berk to the geo of my liking would be amazing. My old BMC SLR01 was such an amazing bike. Would love to have a Berk with the same geo.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

sp3000

by sp3000

Thanks, I've narrowed the choices down to the new Sram Blast rings (very hard to find any stock) or the Praxis Buzz rings. They seen to be the most compatible with Srams new hidden bolt cranks.. Frame should be back form the painters in the next few days then it will ship to me.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

In my humble opinion, your build has started off with a drool worthy frame and bits: AX-Lightness built-up with eTap and EE.

Kudos on keeping the frame free of paint and stickers to show-off the underlying carbon.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Denavelo wrote:Extralite rings are the business when it comes to shifting/weight ratio... I'm extremely happy with Extralite Compact rings and I weigh 172lbs (78kg)...

Nice to hear the pos review on Extralite's rings. It's been years since I rode their gen1 rings, but I recall they were good not great. My curiosity has been piqued!

sp3000

by sp3000

I should have some photos from Germany before they ship the bike that I'll post.

The build at the moment (well everything except the chainrings really) is as follows;

all from Ax-lightness;
Evo Race frame - no holes for eTap only! (with THM fork)
Straight post with Leaf II saddle
Ax 110mm stem and bar
Ax bottle cages

Sram;
eTap group, with Sram cassette and chain

Quarq Dzero Red crank 130BCD hidden bolt

EE cycle works brakes
Jagwire elite link brake cables

Carbonice chain catcher (I will use a Ti bolt instead of the supplied Alu)

Busyman leather bar tape (black)

Speedplay zero Ti pedals (black)

my current wheels;
DT Swiss RC28 Mon Chasseral tubeless
Schwalbe pro one tubeless with orange seal, next tyres will be vittoria corsa speed tubeless.

I think that's all?! Everything above I either have already or is currently on order/on delivery now. Only the chainrings and chainring bolts have not been ordered. My friend, a local bike mechanic (not part of a shop, runs his own workshop only) has recommended Praxis with extralite bolts.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Why don't you just get Red rings as well, to match the rest of the groupset, and not fanny about with Praxis rings.

The extra weight is basically nothing, and you can cut back on the weight by building a weenie set of wheels.

sp3000

by sp3000

I want to get the Sram blast rings, but they are proving incredibly difficult to find in stock that is either available, or will ship to Australia. 39/53T I have found what I think is the right 53T on starbike but the product number is slightly different to that on Srams website. Starbike is called MPN : 11.6218.028.001 but sram call it SKU: 11.6218.032.000 If anyone can confirm they are the same I'm sorted!

idinfo68

by idinfo68

The best for me on this frame :

THM Clavicula SE and Carbon-Ti chainrings !
http://ax-lightness.baron-noir.com
www.baron-noir.com

Specialized Aethos SUB5
Specialized Tarmac SL8 - 5.35 kgs
Specialized Tarmac SL6 - 5.16 kgs
Scott SPARK RC 900 SL SUB 8
Specialized Epic HT - 6.18 kgs

KWalker

by KWalker

EE are massively better than Red.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

sp3000

by sp3000

Looks great! No photos were taken before my bike was packed, but that's ok, more of a surprise to see it for the first time when it arrives...:) It should be shipping from Germany in the next 12 hours so hopefully I receive it next week. I'll be sure to post some unboxing photos!

sp3000

by sp3000

Got a box from Germany today!
Attachments
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0417.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG

KCookie

by KCookie

Should have taken the photos with scales underneath all your awesome parts. This is WW after all. !!! :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com