Ax-lightness Vial EVO Race build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sp3000

by sp3000

5.88kgs with ax 45c Ultra ceramic, 23mm GP4000 II and 78g Michelin aircomp tubes. Will also give them a try with 25mm as they are very wide rims.

evan326

by evan326

All of those lined up logos make me feel really good inside.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Really, really nice. Well done.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Fantastic! Agree with all the component choices - brakes are not a place to skimp on performance. I've also had good experiences with Praxis Buzz.
Could I suggest switching the rubber to Continental GPTT? They are some of the fastest tyres tested on Bicyclerollingresistance, would save you 50g per pair even if you moved up to the 25mm version, and still have a puncture resistant strip and don't seem to be crazy fragile - the rubber is the same, you just carry around less of it. Still has the German/all black matchy matchy look as well.

Obviously it would increase your puncture risk and your running costs in terms of consumables but would probably make more difference to performance and feel than +/- 500 g in weight.

sp3000

by sp3000

kode54 wrote:Really, really nice. Well done.

Thanks kode54!

petromyzon, thanks, good idea with regarding the TT's, I've already switched out the 23mm GP4000II for 25mm Michelin Power competitions and Mavic 80g (measured 90g) tubes.

the reason for the switch was I've always been very happy with Michelin Pro 4 Comps and Michelin Latex tubes, the 23mm seemed a little narrow on the very wide 26mm AX rims so went for the 25mm. I have been thinking of good weight/puncture protection tyres. Given the 25mm even tubes became a bit of a compromise. I like smooth valves and don't want to run latex on carbon rims, so Michelin Ultra lights were not bad at around 76g but they only go up to 23mm, the regular Michelins are heavy that support 25mm so the Mavic seemed good at quoted 80g and supporting 25mm, bonus is the smooth black valve stems..shame they came up even heavier.. I used to run the 50g conti tubes on narrow Mavic rims and even then had too may flats..the Cont TT in 25mm are 190g and the Power Comps I'm running are 211g on my scales, still not bad saving 42g... would love to hear more about how punctury the TT are compared the 4000's.. and if they feel as nice as the Michelins..

Any thoughts? As you can probably tell by the point in the build, there is not much left for me to do! So mucking about with the right balance of tubes and tyres is about it!

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

sp3000 wrote:
kode54 wrote:Really, really nice. Well done.

Thanks kode54!

petromyzon, thanks, good idea with regarding the TT's, I've already switched out the 23mm GP4000II for 25mm Michelin Power competitions and Mavic 80g (measured 90g) tubes.

the reason for the switch was I've always been very happy with Michelin Pro 4 Comps and Michelin Latex tubes, the 23mm seemed a little narrow on the very wide 26mm AX rims so went for the 25mm. I have been thinking of good weight/puncture protection tyres. Given the 25mm even tubes became a bit of a compromise. I like smooth valves and don't want to run latex on carbon rims, so Michelin Ultra lights were not bad at around 76g but they only go up to 23mm, the regular Michelins are heavy that support 25mm so the Mavic seemed good at quoted 80g and supporting 25mm, bonus is the smooth black valve stems..shame they came up even heavier.. I used to run the 50g conti tubes on narrow Mavic rims and even then had too may flats..the Cont TT in 25mm are 190g and the Power Comps I'm running are 211g on my scales, still not bad saving 42g... would love to hear more about how punctury the TT are compared the 4000's.. and if they feel as nice as the Michelins..

Any thoughts? As you can probably tell by the point in the build, there is not much left for me to do! So mucking about with the right balance of tubes and tyres is about it!

From a riding perspective I prefer the Michelin Pro 4 Comps to the Contis.

Why no latex with carbon clinchers? Is it the potential of heat build up causing punctures?
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

sp3000

by sp3000

Yeah, the heat. I'm sure it can be ok and plenty of people are doing it, but every carbon rim manufacturer advise against it and for a nominal watt saving I have little interest in trying to prove them wrong.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

When I first went to latex tubes I didn't feel that much difference. We've had fairly poor conditions for the last few weeks, so I've ridden the Tarmac (edit: with clinchers and latex tubes) for a couple of 50s having been on Conti tubs for a couple of months. It's sooooo plush by comparison despite the tubular/clincher factor.