Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:54 pm 

As my 40th birthday treat to myself, I'm investing in my first serious road bike purchase having ridden my trusty Trek Madone 5.2 for the last 10 years.

After a couple of test rides, I'm in love with the Parlees. Unfortunately my wallet isn't but hell, it's a treat eh!

My riding is mainly c. 50 to 70 mile weekend rides at avg. 17mph on pretty ordinary UK country roads. The odd 100 mile plus sportive here and there and some road bike time trials (not competitive) and maybe having my first go at Cat 4 road racing on new bike but not with nay true podium ambitions.
and
I've got an opportunity to buy a demo ESX at a bargain price with Di2 Ultegra, DT swiss R21s and Fzik kit.

Or an Altum-R 2016 with same gear.

But the Altum-R is coming out c. £1,000 more (by virtue of the ESX being an ex-demo bike but in as new condition). And this really is stretching my definition of a treat

So while my head says the Altum-R for a more comfortable ride and more suited to my all round needs, the ESX is looking mighty attractive at that price. But I didn't start out planning to buy an aero bike that is a bit loud and with brakes mounted low.

But that aside, the geometry looks exactly the same so as far as I can figure.So it is just aero styling, a stiffer frame and a bit more weight (not much).

So am tempted by the ESX but a bit fearful of compromising comfort and all round suitability or the Altum. Comfort being important to me given the occasional sore neck.

Appears there are a few folk on here who have owned both so welcome so views please - JimV, Kode54?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:57 am 

Z5, replaced by an ESX, added and Altum and now a Chebacco. They all ride great. I don't think there is much difference in ride between the Altum and ESX. The ESX is a little bit more demanding of a stiff rear wheel or not a sloppy out of the saddle rider, the aero benefits of the brake under the BB do have a price. I could run Pave 27mm on 404's on the Altum but not the ESX. With that said the only thing I noticed between them was the lighter weight of the Altum made it accelerate better. The only times I noticed the difference between the bikes was steep uphills and sharp accelerations from a lower speed. For most rides with the same wheels the ESX will be a little faster. You won't be unhappy with either. I did just think of one thing, the Altum has a stiffer front end when out of the saddle. As I have said in other places, my teammate is a breakaway guy with no sprint and I am a guy just hopping they don't pop me before the last lap. He rides his ESX and I ride the Altum. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that here in America we don't do many road races, mostly crits. It is rare for our races not to have a 90 degree turn 200 or 300 meters from the line, so our sprints start at40k ish not the 50kph+ that a road race would be. If I was doing that kind of race the ESX would be the faster and better choice for me.
Hope that helps.
They really are not that different in ride quality.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:57 am 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:54 pm 

Since they don't make the ESX anymore getting spares in the future might be an issue i.e. Seatpost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sub 5kg Scott addict Singlespeed
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=144598

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:14 pm 

Arfer01 wrote:
Since they don't make the ESX anymore getting spares in the future might be an issue i.e. Seatpost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getting spares for the ESX is no problem. in fact, some of the parts are common, like the headset top bearing cover (in different sizes).

as far as which frame to buy? that's a difficult decision. i only dialed in the ESX late last year...and enjoy riding that quite a bit. i think if you ride flatlands...the ESX is a great bike. on the other hand, the Altum is a good all rounder bike...although the R may be a bit heavier than the regular Altum? not sure by how much. Parlee customer support is out of the world. very responsive and one of the perks in having this frame. i like climbing hills...so i normally ride the AX Lightness. i don't ride the Altum as much...and still getting the fit tuned to my riding style. the ESX and AX are spot on and both are enjoyable to ride. i really don't think you can go wrong with either...but if i lived in Florida, the ESX would suit me fine. if i lived in Vermont, the Altum...no doubt. not sure if that helps you...but good luck with either one.

- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:25 pm 

ShutUpLegsNow wrote:
As my 40th birthday treat to myself, I'm investing in my first serious road bike purchase having ridden my trusty Trek Madone 5.2 for the last 10 years.

After a couple of test rides, I'm in love with the Parlees. Unfortunately my wallet isn't but hell, it's a treat eh!

My riding is mainly c. 50 to 70 mile weekend rides at avg. 17mph on pretty ordinary UK country roads. The odd 100 mile plus sportive here and there and some road bike time trials (not competitive) and maybe having my first go at Cat 4 road racing on new bike but not with nay true podium ambitions.
and
I've got an opportunity to buy a demo ESX at a bargain price with Di2 Ultegra, DT swiss R21s and Fzik kit.

Or an Altum-R 2016 with same gear.

But the Altum-R is coming out c. £1,000 more (by virtue of the ESX being an ex-demo bike but in as new condition). And this really is stretching my definition of a treat

So while my head says the Altum-R for a more comfortable ride and more suited to my all round needs, the ESX is looking mighty attractive at that price. But I didn't start out planning to buy an aero bike that is a bit loud and with brakes mounted low.

But that aside, the geometry looks exactly the same so as far as I can figure.So it is just aero styling, a stiffer frame and a bit more weight (not much).

So am tempted by the ESX but a bit fearful of compromising comfort and all round suitability or the Altum. Comfort being important to me given the occasional sore neck.

Appears there are a few folk on here who have owned both so welcome so views please - JimV, Kode54?

i think if comfort is key...i don't have a problem with either. i have 25mm tires on the ESX. same on the Altum. Enve 6.7 SES on the ESX, Enve 4.5 SES on the Altum. head tube on both are taller than most bikes like my AX which is 10mm lower. so if you think you'll get sore neck from a low head tube on the Parlees...i doubt it with either. one issue with the direct mount brakes...you have a limited selection. i'm using EE brakes and the bottom rear brake does get dirty. the seat post is a proprietary design with Kammtail (sp?). i recently got a set back one from Parlees for a better fit. its a comfort type of seat post which absorbs some road shock. i have the same on my Altum.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:20 am 

Huge thanks JimV and Kode54.

Kode54 - is this the seatpost you refer to? https://store.parleecycles.com/products ... -seat-post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:05 pm 

l have that seat post of the ESX and Altum. the ESX has the aero shape but the rest is similar where the seat rails go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:06 pm 

oh, when I got my Altum...it came with 3T ionic zero post. not sure why, but that's what it came with in the box.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:06 pm