Left and Right sensing light weight power meters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bpe

by bpe

I am looking for a power meter that senses both left and right side power? Any recommendations? Also, is there a weight comparison available?
Thanks,
Brian

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Pioneer is quite light. It adds 62g to the original crank which is quite good I think. Other option would be 4iiii at 25g, garmin vector 2 at ~120g extra compared to dura ace pedals. The powertap P1 will add even more than that, like around 200g compared to the dura ace pedals. Shimano dual sided PM is also coming this spring, but there is no weight published.

So weight wise, I think the winner is 4iiii. Otherwise I've been on pioneer for 1 and half years on two of my bikes and I'm pretty happy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Everything you need to know about power meters in every little detail http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/powe ... ition.html
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

ab01ns

by ab01ns

Pioneer and 4iiii are going to be your lightest bet, at 68 and around 25g respectively. Pioneer has some more advanced tools for analysis of power data if that means anything to you. Also I think as a system, the pioneer looks a lot better, but that's purely subjective.
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

claus

by claus

bpe wrote:I am looking for a power meter that senses both left and right side power?

Do you mean separately? -- In addition to the other answers there are of course also pedal-based PMs.
Or do you mean just "not one leg only"? Then there are a lot more options.

stockae92

by stockae92

From what I read, the set up for Garmin Vector is quite a bit of work. The P1 much simpler and less prone to set up (installation) mistake.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

stockae92 wrote:From what I read, the set up for Garmin Vector is quite a bit of work. The P1 much simpler and less prone to set up (installation) mistake.

Well the OP asked about dual sided PMs and weight, so I listed the ones I know about. It might be easier to set up the P1s, but they weigh almost twice as the also heavy dura ace pedals. Just like there are pros and cons for every PM on the market right now.

VforVonnegut

by VforVonnegut

OK, crank-based PMs (i.e. spider) will sense both right and left power, and most head units will be able to give you e.g. a percent L/R balance. Is that what you're asking? In that case Quarq, P2max, SRM, etc. will be your best bet.

As others have mentioned Pioneer and 4iiiiiiiiiiiiiii completely isolate right/left, if that's what you want.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Favero Bepros, adding 44gr. to standard-look keos.
although very affordable.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/09/fav ... eview.html

PinaF8

by PinaF8

I have used garmin vectors, quarq, and now on pioneer. Pioneer is by far the most detailed powermeterbi have ever used especially when paired with their head unit. Only because im a data training freak.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Garmin vector 2 is not a lot of work to setup.... 5 mins and done.
Calibrate every ride (takes 10 sec) and off you go nice l&r power view with good accuracy.
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

reknop

by reknop

nemeseri wrote:Pioneer is quite light. It adds 62g to the original crank which is quite good I think. Other option would be 4iiii at 25g, garmin vector 2 at ~120g extra compared to dura ace pedals. The powertap P1 will add even more than that, like around 200g compared to the dura ace pedals. Shimano dual sided PM is also coming this spring, but there is no weight published.

So weight wise, I think the winner is 4iiii. Otherwise I've been on pioneer for 1 and half years on two of my bikes and I'm pretty happy.

I'm also running a Pioneer PMS for more than a year as well. I think that the HD Power metrics still make it a technical unique and robust system. The SGX-CA500 might be a little less-user-friendly to set-up, but the system runs without any errors. Even tough and rainy weather conditions don't impact the working of the power meter sensors (Stages had a lot of these issues).

And .... basically two pro-teams have been testing the Pioneer System a couple of years now.

PinaF8 wrote:I have used garmin vectors, quarq, and now on pioneer. Pioneer is by far the most detailed powermeterbi have ever used especially when paired with their head unit. Only because im a data training freak.

Same here ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

reknop

by reknop

Also check out the article: "4iiii Precision Pro Dual Left/Right Power Meter In-Depth Review" --> https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/02/4ii ... eview.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Do any of you guys know what the recording/analysis options are for a 4iiii or any of the pedal based L/R units? Is there anything Android based that does a decent job of showing the L/R split, and even better, the various pedal force vectors, or are you pretty much stuck with Garmin?

claus

by claus

TheKaiser wrote:Do any of you guys know what the recording/analysis options are for a 4iiii or any of the pedal based L/R units?

I bought a Osynce Navi2coach when I had bePro pedals specifically for that purpose. As I sold the latter, I don't need the former anymore either... I guess I should put it up for sale.

For analysis I used Golden Cheetah.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com