Left and Right sensing light weight power meters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Wahoo have android app?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimW

by TimW

What's the point? Has anyone actually found a use for this metric yet and can do something useful with it? The majority of people are something like 48/52%.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Happy with my Garmin Vectors.

bpe

by bpe

TimW wrote:What's the point? Has anyone actually found a use for this metric yet and can do something useful with it? The majority of people are something like 48/52%.

It's mainly to accurately measure total power. The current theory, and almost everything about this is just a theory, is that most variances are natural, and that you don't need to try and equalize them. But if you only the double the measurement of one side, you are either over, or under, estimating total power. And since the actual difference may vary (based on cadence or effort) that variation could drive a significant error in the total power measurement. If the difference was significant, you might be able to bring it into a normal variance. Of course it may all be BS, too!

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

TimW wrote:What's the point? Has anyone actually found a use for this metric yet and can do something useful with it? The majority of people are something like 48/52%.

I was mainly interested in messing about with it for fitting purposes. Not just L/R balance, but more the force vectors being delivered to each pedal. For instance, if a rider has a tendency to drop a hip or sit cockeyed on the saddle under high loads I am curious to see if that data could help determine if the pelvic movement might be driven by forces delivered through the pedals, or if it is coming from higher up the kinetic chain. It could be useless info, but it seems like it might help to identify cause and effect in determining where to try an intervention to improve the situation.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I think garmin vector and pioneer are the only two that are offering some sort of "cycling dynamics" measurements. That may be of more interest than just straight left-right balance if you're looking to improve pedal stroke.
Stages has a high speed mode as well, but I think you have to do pretty much all the analysis yourself, as I think all it does is spit out a giant excel file of the high speed raw data.