TT frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bpe

by bpe

I am finally in the market for a TT specific bike. I know aero trumps weight, at theist for a typical TT course, but am looking for an aero frame that is still lightweight. Can anybody help me sort through all the possibilities?
Thanks,
Brian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tilf

by tilf

Do you need UCI legal or any other governing body legality?

bpe

by bpe

tilf wrote:Do you need UCI legal or any other governing body legality?

I would like it to be UCI legal, but I didn't think anything with a TT groupset/aero wheels and added power meter would still be that low, no matter what the frame weight was. Weight is easy to add.

Thanks,
Brian

Kurets

by Kurets

TT bikes are commonly sold in Triathlon and UCI-legal versions. The triathlon models being more commonly available.
Being UCI legal has implications on frame shape, saddle position, bars, addons.

bpe

by bpe

I guess I always assume weight on this forum. I do want the bike to meet UCI requirements.

allenpg

by allenpg

bpe wrote:I am finally in the market for a TT specific bike. I know aero trumps weight, at theist for a typical TT course, but am looking for an aero frame that is still lightweight. Can anybody help me sort through all the possibilities?
Thanks,
Brian

My Cervelo P2 tips the scales at around 17 lbs with tubulars. You could get lighter with the P3 (same frame, just a lighter fork). Still one of the most aero frames out there.

stormur

by stormur

BH Aerolight.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

wingguy

by wingguy

Argon E-117 Tri+ is a very light frame. Also the 2015 and 2016 Cannondale Slice Himod is extremely light for a TT bike, but not on the UCI approved frame list.

tilf

by tilf

As stated, the UCI legality isn't weight so much as design of the frame and other components. http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.PDF

Page 8 and 9 get into the details of what the UCI requires (its much more detailed than the 3:1 ratio for tubing commonly cited).

Outside of the UCI you'd see things like the Cervelo P5X, Falco V, Diamondback Andean, and Dimond bikes. Beam type bike, magnetic covers of brakes, extreme tubing shapes, etc...

Within UCI there are several that are light already mentioned, as well as the Scott Plasma. If you care about UCI legality you probably care about winning -- and thus should look for the fastest bike more than the lightest bike. In that case, consider ponying up for some aero testing at A2, Faster, LA Velodrome, etc...

Rudi

by Rudi

You might want to look at some of the older, but still respected frames like the classic Cervelo P3.

I have nothing to base this on but when you look at say the P5 (not the P5X) in comparison, the P5 looks like it has a lot more material on it.

Slowtwitch post from 2014 suggests the P5 frame and fork is over 2kg:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowt ... _P5068254/

Edit: Quick search for the older P3 suggests frame around 1260g compared to the 1668g for the P5 above.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Rudi wrote:You might want to look at some of the older, but still respected frames like the classic Cervelo P3.

I have nothing to base this on but when you look at say the P5 (not the P5X) in comparison, the P5 looks like it has a lot more material on it.

Sure, but that's not so much to do with older or newer, but with conventional vs full integrated (brakes, fairings, bayonet fork, stem / bar system etc).

So the classic P3 or the current P3 are both lighter than the P5, the old E-116 or the new E-117 are both lighter than the E-119, the 2015/16 Slice is much lighter than the 2014 Slice RS...