Help me shop for finishing kit....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Im looking for some lightweight yet affordable tidbits to cut some weight from my bike. Prefer black color for everything, but thats not too big a concern. Im not looking for anything exotic, just need weightweenie approved stuff for a reasonable price.

I need:

1. 28.6 seatpost clamp. (The OEM clamp is a heavy 2 bolt clamp. Seatpost is a Deda Superzero 27.2. Should I stick with the original twin bolt clamp? Did the manufacturer do this on purpose?)

2. Atleast 30mm worth of super light 1 1/8" headset spacers. Bike currently has 2 Trivio Headset Spacers Alloy 1 1/8" Black 15mm, which weigh an astonishing 45g a peice. (Is there anything wrong with using a bunch of 5mm carbon spacers vs. using fewer bigger spacers? Im getting a bike fit this month and want everything I may need.)

3. A basic Alloy/Ti bolt upgrade kit that covers most bases. Does such a "kit" exist? Or do I need to buy the bolts individually? What are the exact bolt sizes I would need? My drivetrain is an Ultegra 6870 Di2 with compact cranks and GS rear derailleur.

Please give me a shopping list.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

What are you riding now? What components - groupset, seat post and saddle, bar and stem, crank and BB, etc? Do you have a weight target or just opportunistic savings?

* For the little bits you're after plus more, Starbike (site sponsor) has you covered. Fairwheel, bikeonlineit, etc are other good options. Look at Extralite's delrin (?) or Tune's magnesium spacers in addition to the usual carbon ones.

* You'll have no issue finding a grundle of seatpost clamps in the 5-10g/ea range. Consider pairing it with a sub-200g post and sub-200g saddle. If you're being fit, consider buying them afterwards so you'll know if you want a setback or straight post and length.

* Bars and stems can be another are for "cost effective" weight savings. You'll have lots of for sub-100g stems and sub-200g bars to choose from. Again, consider waiting until after your fitting though it may make sense to have your preferred bar on the bike at that time since bar drop / reach measurements are not always comparable between mfg's.

* You may also wish to check out a lighter cassette and chain to achieve your weight savings goal, though they're likely to wear faster than "heavy duty" bits (105, Rival, etc). If the gear that you're replacing is brand new, it has value. If it's fairly used, consider wearing it out and then upgrading.

* For bolts and such, add Toronto Cycles to your list of sites to check out.

Have fun and get that wallet ready!

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Johnny Rad wrote:What are you riding now? What components - groupset, seat post and saddle, bar and stem, crank and BB, etc? Do you have a weight target or just opportunistic savings?

* For the little bits you're after plus more, Starbike (site sponsor) has you covered. Fairwheel, bikeonlineit, etc are other good options. Look at Extralite's delrin (?) or Tune's magnesium spacers in addition to the usual carbon ones.

* You'll have no issue finding a grundle of seatpost clamps in the 5-10g/ea range. Consider pairing it with a sub-200g post and sub-200g saddle.

* Bars and stems can be another are for "cost effective" weight savings. You'll have lots of for sub-100g stems and sub-200g bars to choose from.

* You may also wish to check out a lighter cassette and chain to achieve your weight savings goal, though they're likely to wear faster than "heavy duty" bits (105, Rival, etc).

* For bolts and such, add Toronto Cycles to your list of sites to check out.

Have fun and get that wallet ready!

Here is my complete bike specs. Ideal overall target is just getting to 6.8kg, but for right now Im just buying some extra little things. Stuff like the seat and handlebars are subject to change during my next fitting. I will be limited to what the bike shop has on hand. I also have yet to cut the seat post and steerer, and will be getting some lighter bar tape with the fitting. The bike currently weighs 17.2lbs with pedals, computer mount, and bottle cages:

1 x Ribble R872 Di2 Carbon Road Frame Black 47cm (XS)

1 x Shimano Di2 Internal Fit Battery 7.4V

1 x Shimano 11 Spd Ultegra 6800 Cassette 11-32

1 x Shimano HG701 (6800 Ultegra) Chain - 11 Speed

1 x Shimano STI Levers Ultegra Di2 6870 - 11 Speed

1 x Shimano Ultegra 6800 Brake Set

1 x Shimano Ultegra Di2 6870 11Spd Rear Gear GS (Medium)

1 x Shimano Di2 Battery Charger USB Connection (SM-BCR2)

1 x Shimano Ultegra Di2 6870 11Spd Front Gear Braze-on

1 x Shimano Di2 Road Brake Cableset Black

1 x Shimano Di2 EWSD-50 Electric Wires (pair) 350mm

1 x Shimano Di2 Junction-A SM-EW90-A 3 Port

1 x Shimano Di2 Cableset Internal for internal batt

1 x CSN Di2 Internal Seatpin Battery Mount (pair)

1 x Shimano Ultegra Double 6800 11 Spd Chainset 165 34/50

1 x Stages 105 power meter 165mm

1 x Ribble Road Press Fit BB Cups 86.5 x 41

2 x Wheels Shimano RS81 C24 Carb Clincher 10/11 Shim

2 x Titanium skewers set, 41g

2 x Vittoria Corsa G+ Isotech Folding Tyre Brown/Blk/Blk 700x25mm

1 x ITM Cork Embossed Handlebar Tape Black

1 x Deda RHM 01 Bars Black on Black 38cm

1 x Zipp Service Course 31.8 Stem 6deg Blast Black 100mm

2 x Trivio Headset Spacers Alloy 1 1/8" Black 15mm

1 x Deda Superzero 21mm Setback Spin Black 27.2 350mm

1 x ISM Adamo Century Saddle

2 x Michellin latex tubes

1 x Ribble R872 Headset 1 1/8 -1 1/2 Hidden 45x45

1 x Ribble R872 Carbon Road Forks 1 1/8 - 1 1/2 Black

1 x Ribble Seat Clamp Twin Bolt for R872 28.6

1 x ITM Carbon (1 1/8") Expanding Stem Cap 52mm

4 x CSN Bottle Cage S/S AK Bolts (M5 x 20mm) (each)

2 x Carbon Water Bottle Cages

1 x XTR 980 SPD pedals, single sided, tuned, 238g
Last edited by eyedrop on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Di2 w/power. Nice bike! Congrats.

Your saddle is a unique one, so I figure that's staying. The seatpost is an upgrade candidate.

There's weight to be saved in your bar and stem. And brakeset, but that can be big $.

How much do your water bottle cages weigh? Maybe they're a low hanging fruit target. I should've mentioned them above in my first reply, oops!

You already have light QRs.

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Johnny Rad wrote:Di2 w/power. Nice bike! Congrats.

Your saddle is a unique one, so I figure that's staying. The seatpost is an upgrade candidate.

There's weight to be saved in your bar and stem. And brakeset, but that can be big $.

How much do your water bottle cages weigh? Maybe they're a low hanging fruit target. I should've mentioned them above in my first reply, oops!

You already have light QRs.

Thank you! Ill try and get some pictures up tonight..

Bottle cages are already very light, 18g a piece.