Going to start biking again, Tarmac?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WiryMike

by WiryMike

I started road biking in 2013, bought an Allez sport. Had serious neck problems leading to severe migraines (lasting weeks, [medicine]fioricet was not helping). In 2015 I sold it because I couldn't ride. Kind of wish I kept the bike due to a big loss, but you learn from your mistakes. I found a way to get my migraines under control, and I am looking to get back into it.

Question is, I like the Tarmac SL4 and wonder if it is a good starting point today? [and any suggestions welcomed]
I also will be deciding on wheelset for competitive riding, right now it is between Zipp 303 and Ksyrium.

Some background on my riding. My skill back then was intermediate, decent sprint speed and could keep a good pace for hours. Now probably not even close but looking to train hard.

The Allez the day I got it

SRAM rival groupset, 3T CF seatpost, fizik Arione CX saddle, speedplay pedals, and Vuelta Corsa superlite wheelset.

Bonus, crude mock up of Tarmac

treetrees

by treetrees

Wirymike its a great bike, its what I have bought when it first came out in the uk . Its not light by todays standard but the fit was good and also it has a threaded bottom bracket on the sl4 sport so no creaky creaky . Im just in the process of taking the dura ace 9000 of my Caad10 and putting it on the sl4 which will lighten it a bit .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

If you have suffered from neck pain and resulting migraines, the you really should consider an endurance / gran fondo bike with more upright geo and stack. Are you only considering Specialized? There are plenty of bikes out there to choose from including the Specialized Roubaix that might alleviate past discomfort or keep it from returning.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I also suffered from tension headaches, neck issues. For me the solution was to reduce reach aswell as step up in stack.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

The Tarmac is a good bike and would suit you well.

Can you source HED wheelsets where you are? The ardennes plus are outstanding wheels. Light, tubeless compatible, wide. A 25mm or 26mm tire on that rim rolls great and gives outstanding comfort (and will fit in your frame).

I would avoid the Mavic wheels these days... just so much better offerings out there.

WiryMike

by WiryMike

Thank you all for the replies!

First, I have looked at more upright bikes. But with my problems mostly resolved, I feel it would be prudent to get something more aggressive for my uses. My rides will be less than 2 hours [in general] with a lot of high intensity portions and will be doing short road races and crits this year. I do have a friend who will loan me a bike with a more upright position if I feel it necessary on very long rides.

Maybe I am wrong, but would something like a Roubaix or other brand endurance bike be just fine for my uses?

Second, I do believe I can get HED locally. Briscoelab, what is bad about Mavic nowadays? Are they bad price to performance or just not good wheelsets?

WiryMike

by WiryMike

Stolichnaya wrote:If you have suffered from neck pain and resulting migraines, the you really should consider an endurance / gran fondo bike with more upright geo and stack. Are you only considering Specialized? There are plenty of bikes out there to choose from including the Specialized Roubaix that might alleviate past discomfort or keep it from returning.

My big problems were, bad posture, bad bike fitting, also not stretching and going on 5+ hour rides. These things were not in my mind at the time when I had the problems. I would fall into a bad posture after riding for more than a couple hours and would strain my neck.

I am not opposed to getting a Endurance bike, but would I see a dramatic difference for use in races and the 2 hour HIT rides that I mainly will do?
I 100% would get an endurance bike if my riding was only going to be casual at a lower speed (15-18mph maybe 20mph) and for a much longer ride.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

WiryMike wrote:Thank you all for the replies!

First, I have looked at more upright bikes. But with my problems mostly resolved, I feel it would be prudent to get something more aggressive for my uses. My rides will be less than 2 hours [in general] with a lot of high intensity portions and will be doing short road races and crits this year. I do have a friend who will loan me a bike with a more upright position if I feel it necessary on very long rides.

Maybe I am wrong, but would something like a Roubaix or other brand endurance bike be just fine for my uses?

Second, I do believe I can get HED locally. Briscoelab, what is bad about Mavic nowadays? Are they bad price to performance or just not good wheelsets?

I just think they are overpriced for what you get, and they mostly have narrow rims. Like Shimano clinchers... great wheels, but super narrow rims still.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Instead of focusing on brand focus on fit and geometry.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

WiryMike

by WiryMike

fromtrektocolnago wrote:Instead of focusing on brand focus on fit and geometry.

Of course, It is just personal preference to like that specific bike and brand. With myself not being an expert on bicycles, is there anyway I could figure what geometry would be a good starting point for me besides going and trying them all out?
Like, are there write ups about what bike frame geometries are bad for people with certain attributes or limitations?

I am taking what you said as all brands offer different geometry that will work for some but not others. I understand that there is Aero/Race/Endurance/Recreational geometries, but If I compare a race bike from Trek/cannondale/specialized/giant/felt would I not be able to get the right fit through them all with getting the right stem, seatpost setback etc.?

WiryMike

by WiryMike

Briscoelab wrote:
I just think they are overpriced for what you get, and they mostly have narrow rims. Like Shimano clinchers... great wheels, but super narrow rims still.

Oh that makes sense, thank you. I will keep that in mind.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

WiryMike wrote:

Of course, It is just personal preference to like that specific bike and brand. With myself not being an expert on bicycles, is there anyway I could figure what geometry would be a good starting point for me besides going and trying them all out?
Like, are there write ups about what bike frame geometries are bad for people with certain attributes or limitations?

I am taking what you said as all brands offer different geometry that will work for some but not others. I understand that there is Aero/Race/Endurance/Recreational geometries, but If I compare a race bike from Trek/cannondale/specialized/giant/felt would I not be able to get the right fit through them all with getting the right stem, seatpost setback etc.?

A bike shop known for doing bike fits. If they are good they'll not only measure you , but speak to you about how you ride and check your flexibility. The place I went did all that and they rode as well, so very capable at helping guide the purchase or designing a bike in the case of custom.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

BRM

by BRM

WiryMike wrote:I started road biking in 2013, bought an Allez sport. Had serious neck problems leading to severe migraines (lasting weeks, [medicine]fioricet was not helping). In 2015 I sold it because I couldn't ride. . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . Now probably not even close but looking to train hard.

Because you had probs in the past it is much wiser to start slow and NOT overdoing your training.
Before you know you will end the same.

The pic of your Allez shows an amount of spacers that points to the need of a less agressive fit.

In general, wider tires gives more comfort but your frame need forks with enough room for that.
And so there are more things to think about.

For getting direction to geo and fit, Start mapping your real needs and preferences.

WiryMike

by WiryMike

BRM wrote:
WiryMike wrote:I started road biking in 2013, bought an Allez sport. Had serious neck problems leading to severe migraines (lasting weeks, [medicine]fioricet was not helping). In 2015 I sold it because I couldn't ride. . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . Now probably not even close but looking to train hard.

Because you had probs in the past it is much wiser to start slow and NOT overdoing your training.
Before you know you will end the same.
-Very true, I do not plan to ride long rides for months. And by training hard, I mean, do safely what I can within my abilities.

The pic of your Allez shows an amount of spacers that points to the need of a less agressive fit.
-I actually was going to remove the spacers and cut the head tube.

In general, wider tires gives more comfort but your frame need forks with enough room for that.
-25s were what I was going to get, I was fine with the 23s on my allez but consensus is 25 is better.

Start mapping your real needs and preferences, to get direction for geo and fit.
-Ok, I will think hard on that, and might look for more guidance at the shop as well. Thank you

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WiryMike

by WiryMike

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
WiryMike wrote:

A bike shop known for doing bike fits. If they are good they'll not only measure you , but speak to you about how you ride and check your flexibility. The place I went did all that and they rode as well, so very capable at helping guide the purchase or designing a bike in the case of custom.

Got ya, I will look at my local shop more. The last guy at a shop I talked to seemed to just want to make a sale and upsell. I walked out because it wasn't helpful. The big well know shop for doing fitting around here sells Specialized, almost exclusively.

Just to be clear I am 180cm tall, Inseam is 84cm, my wingspan is 190.5cm. I do not know, but would that help with any advice regarding bike choice.