Going to start biking again, Tarmac?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Tarmac will just clear a 28mm Sworks Turbo on a Ardennes + rim. That measures like a 31 or something on that rim. I wouldn't push it that far.

But, a 26mm Turbo or a 25mm Vittoria Pave or Corsa CX is perfect, with room to spare. So smooth and fast.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WiryMike

by WiryMike

Briscoelab, Sounds good :)

Also about bike fit. When I was in the store, the employee helping me said I would need a 58 for the tarmac... Obviously I want to get the right size, but before I was fitted to a 54 on the Allez... So this has me confused. So if anyone has advice based on the numbers I gave for my height, inseam, and arms, it would be interesting to hear.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would look at another bike than Tarmac.
Why?
Because you should use a 56 size or possibly 54 if you were a race nut sitting really low.
A 58 size will be more sluggish for you and not as nimble.
They advice you to a 58 for you to get a bike with longer stack, but that also very much increase your bikes reach.

When you have and do suffer from fatigue and neck/ shoulder issues, you should look at a bike voiding as much of this as possible.

Brand of frame is less relevant than what your frame does for you and your posture.
Question is if you like a more stretched out position for your lenght, or a shorter for your lenght?
The more you stretch your arms the more you risk of leaning upper body lower.
The thing you should consider is what happens when you start to get tired, how do you alter your posture?
Do you have the core strength for this? If not, your pains will come in to play fast as you loose your "feel good posture".
Relevant for you is a fit permitting you to maintain a healthy posture, even when you start to become tired.

I have myself had severe issues and experimented alot.
I now know that what kills me is when i simply position myself in a manner i can't maintain.
I drop posture and pain is for sure coming afterwards.

Size 54 Allez has 387mm reach and 548mm stack.
Size 56 Tarmac has 395mm reach and 564mm stack.
Size 58 Tarmac has 402mm reach and 591mm stack.

So the 58 Tarmac is 17mm longer than your Allez and 43mm higher.
+ You use alot of spacers on your Allez, so you have already decreased the frame reach.

You would probably be much better off at a 54 sized Roubaix with fewer spacers or none.
Or Trek Domane or any of Treks H2 geometries (you can chose Madone or Emonda bikes here).
Or Cervelo S/R3 size 56. (S3 is Cervelos aero bike. The new S5 is again lower in stack (Than S3) which you may wish to sort out from your list)

As an example, i am myself 182cm and i am on a bike with 386mm reach and 580mm stack. However, i use a spacer, a 10cm stem and low reach handlebar.
I could easily ride a frame with 380mm reach and stack of 580-590mm.
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Your best solution will always be custom, but its also true it may not be necessary. A Seven 622 slx(there are others) can be made to your exact specs and will be quite light and can certainly be raced or ridden in centuries or shorter rides. Colnagos come in very small size increments as well and between various stem lengths, handlebar choices and being able to raise/lower the seat or to tilt it forward or back as well as adjusting the pedals and cleats you may get exactly what you need. Just don't come in with a reverse inquiry saying you want a Tarmac because that's what you'll be sold then. Better to provide your requirements and let the bike shop select. Also important to have a knowledgeable customer oriented person handling you. We've all dealt with bike shops that are merely trying to sell what they have too much of or make the best margins on.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Briscoelab wrote:Tarmac will just clear a 28mm Sworks Turbo on a Ardennes + rim. That measures like a 31 or something on that rim. I wouldn't push it that far.

But, a 26mm Turbo or a 25mm Vittoria Pave or Corsa CX is perfect, with room to spare. So smooth and fast.

Tarmac will not clear ~ 30mm unless its disc Tarmac.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

WiryMike

by WiryMike

Seriously thank you everyone. I will be going to a shop this Monday morning, and I will go in without any bike in mind. I will see where they guide me too and where they think I would fit.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

mpulsiv wrote:
Briscoelab wrote:Tarmac will just clear a 28mm Sworks Turbo on a Ardennes + rim. That measures like a 31 or something on that rim. I wouldn't push it that far.

Tarmac will not clear ~ 30mm unless its disc Tarmac.

It might not clear a "30mm" tire on that wide of a rim. But it most certainly will clear a 28mm Turbo, mounted on an Ardennes + rim. Much more than a piece of sand will clog it up though. Hence why I said don't do it. 26mm on that wide of a rim works great though.

WiryMike

by WiryMike

Spent the whole morning looking around, went to three shops.

1st- Giant and Spesh dealer, best known for doing proper fits (will change stems and certain parts at no cost). Went in and let them pick a bike. Asked me questions on how long of rides, checked flexibility etc. The sales rep brought a 56 Tarmac over.

2nd- Went to one of the largest Trek dealers around, they sell cannondale and others. Same situation, He brought a 56 Emonda over. (tried others also)

3rd- Same chain as 2nd, different store. The worker guided me to hybrid and touring bikes... This was after saying I want to do crit and road races... They were very new. Ended up looking at the Madone and Domane lineup there. (tried others also)

I tried out the Madone, emonda, domane, supersix evo, synapse, Tarmac.
On trainers and riding them around the area.
The supersix evo was a 54 with the spacers taken off, felt fine.

The Domane was not bad, a lot of food for thought from today.

Obviously I do not want form over function, and I think most bikes I looked at would probably be fine.

DaReef

by DaReef

I have a Tarmac S4 and an Allez Sprint. The Sprint has a 10mm longer stem and the position on the bikes is very close. I love both bikes but if I could only pick one, it would be the Sprint for sure. I've done centuries on both and raced both.

Pics just to make your decision harder (or easier):

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

DaReef wrote:I have a Tarmac S4 and an Allez Sprint. The Sprint has a 10mm longer stem and the position on the bikes is very close. I love both bikes but if I could only pick one, it would be the Sprint for sure. I've done centuries on both and raced both.

Pics just to make your decision harder (or easier):

Beautiful bikes.
You find Allez Sprint as vertically compliant as Tarmac SL4? If I had to guess, you are not a sensitive rider. There are riders that can ride a double century on harsh aluminum over rough chipseal and report that it's totally fine. While others complain how 25mm tire is not wide enough on their carbon bike over smooth asphalt.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

wingguy

by wingguy

Briscoelab wrote:I just think they are overpriced for what you get, and they mostly have narrow rims. Like Shimano clinchers... great wheels, but super narrow rims still.

Except that the Ksyrium Pro Carbons have exactly the same internal width as the Zipp 303s being compared against. As do several other wheels in Mavic's lineup.

guyc

by guyc

wingguy wrote:
Briscoelab wrote:I just think they are overpriced for what you get, and they mostly have narrow rims. Like Shimano clinchers... great wheels, but super narrow rims still.

Except that the Ksyrium Pro Carbons have exactly the same internal width as the Zipp 303s being compared against. As do several other wheels in Mavic's lineup.

And if there's a make that's overpriced it's surely Zipp.

How they still get away with their pricing with hubs made of cheese is beyond me.

I've run Mavics on and off for 30 years and not had one failure. I've 4 pals with Zipps (303 and 404's) and all of them have had some sort of failure in the first year. None of riding Zipp any more. 1 on Mavic, 2 on Reynolds and 1 on Enve now. All good.

DaReef

by DaReef

mpulsiv wrote:Beautiful bikes.
You find Allez Sprint as vertically compliant as Tarmac SL4?

Thanks!

The Tarmac is my choice for very long rides as I find it slightly more comfortable after 100 miles. Is it the carbon or the geometry or all in my head? The difference in comfort is very minor and isn't worth the substantial price difference. But for a crit or road race, I'm picking the Allez every time.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

@WiryMike; I am a lifelong migraine sufferer. Had severe ones when I was in my teens, to the point where I was hospitalised a few times.

I realise that everyone is different when it comes to migraines, but I personally found that posture was not actually a trigger, despite seeming like that. I thought it was, but after analysing myself for years, I realised that the shoulder / neck pain was actually a symptom of the prodrome, rather than a cause. Again, this might not be the case with you, but it is for me. The true cause of migraines still eludes medical science, but once I realised for me that it was not a muscular/skeletal issue, I just got on with physical activity. When riding, I find I need to maintain a decent blood sugar level or I get a migraine when I get home and cool down, so it is more an issue with diet / chemical balance I reckon. Anecdotal, but thought I would add my own experiences. I occasionally have to cancel group rides at short notice due to a migraine kicking in, and when the prodrome is building I find my training suffers a lot, so I feel your pain (literally).