Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:42 am 

Technical Query,

The way i understand it, shifters should come indexed, im talking about the front shifter, it should have 3 clicks, 1 click little ring, another click big ring and a 3rd click to stop any chain rub in the higher end of the big ring.

My left hand shifter has a full ratchet as is it was a ten speed? why is that do i need to set it up? i thought it would come indexed.

It is a campagnolo record shifter i should add.

Cheers!

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:42 am 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:54 am 

......properly set up 11 speed pre-2015 is 3rd click all big ring. 1st "click/position is small chainring and larger (more teeth) cassette sprockets. middle (2nd) click is for small chainring and smaller (less teeth) cassette sprockets.

Am waiting to build up my 2016 version which has some slight changes to the clicks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:59 am 

Personally, I don't have experience with the post 2015 shifters (assuming you have a new Record shifter), but according to the instructions, your understanding is wrong.

There are 3 trim positions on the small ring and none on the big ring according to this https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_266_User_manual_11-speed_front%20derailleur-%20Campagnolo_REV01_08_14%20.pdf

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:13 am 

haynesdavid1988 wrote:
Technical Query,

The way i understand it, shifters should come indexed, im talking about the front shifter, it should have 3 clicks, 1 click little ring, another click big ring and a 3rd click to stop any chain rub in the higher end of the big ring.

My left hand shifter has a full ratchet as is it was a ten speed? why is that do i need to set it up? i thought it would come indexed.

Cheers!

I'm not sure what year shifter you have, but it sounds like your cable is not taut enough. Look at the installation instructions that came with the front der, or go to Campagnolo.com for tech data on how to set it up. Campagnolo has a video; Art's Cyclery has a good short video on it as well. It is not real easy to get it set up perfectly the first time, but once you get it dialed in it should work perfectly and have a range of only 3 or 4 clicks, depending on the year of the shifter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:24 pm 
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

haynesdavid1988 wrote:
Technical Query,

Cheers!

Depends what shifter it is.

If (as I understand from the above) it's Record 10s, then it's pre- any of the current shifters and so it has 7 index points.

For a double chainset:

If you are setting any front shifter up from the 2006-2008 generations of Record 10s up and you have all compatible parts (i.e. all Campagnolo) incl. chain, and the FD is correctly set for height and inclination, cable correctly run and low limit screw correctly set, you should find that with the shifter fully zero'd (so pressing on the thumb lever produces no more movement), one full sweep of the finger lever (so three clicks) should have the FD as far to the right as it ever needs to go, to give you a clean shift to the big ring and sufficient clearance between the outside chainring and the chain that there is no "scrape" when you are on the big ring and the smallest sprocket.

When you are in the big ring and the biggest sprocket, depending on chainring sizes and the exact placement of the FD and the geometry of the frame, you may need to use 1 click on the thumb lever to trim the front mech. When you are on the small chainring, you may need to use 1 or 2 clicks on the finger lever to trim the front mech when you are on the smaller sprockets, with the same dependencies as on the big ring.

For a triple chainset:
The above notes will get you to the middle chainring but the cable tension should be slightly less and you should find that on the middle ring on click 3, when you are in the middle of the cassette there is more or less the same gap to the inside and outside of the chain, across to the derailleur cage. This means that usually there is a touch on the derailleur cage on the two extremes of the cassette. The second "sweep", or clicks 4 - 7 are used to get you up to the big ring. Click 4 allows you to trim out the chain touch on middle ring to smallest sprockets, and taking a fell sweep from the granny ring & bottom gear, then backing one click allows you to use middle ring and biggest sprocket with no chain scrape.

When setting up, the basic procedure for a double is the same on a Record 10s as it is on any of the 11s FDs which others have mentioned here. If you need to use more than 1 full sweep from minimum cable tension on the FD (and FD on the inner ring and biggest sprocket with no chain scrape) to get the chain up to the big ring and not touching the chain when you are on the big ring and have the chain on the smallest sprocket, you have done something wrong, or there is an incompatibility somewhere.

If you have Record 10s QS, make sure that you are also using a 10s QS front mech. Previous FDs had a slightly shorter actuation arm and won't always set up as indicated. Likewise, UltraShift FDs made for the Veloce and Centuar systems offered in 2009/10 and PowerShift FDs made for Veloce and Centaur in subsequent years have a slightly longer actuation arm and again, won't set up quite correctly on a Record 10s QS lever.

Record 10s levers prior to 2006 can all be set up, broadly speaking, the same way but on 9s systems, occasionally it was not possible to set them so that one full sweep of the finger lever would do the job - they sometimes needed 1 more click to be used.

Most shop mechanics I speak to and have into the Technical Centre on training courses and many home mechanics don't realise that Campagnolo front mechs have had broadly this system since the early 2000s, when the body shape of the ErgoPower lever (and some of the internals) were changed. The "break point" was when all the shifters (L & R) went from having the very fine-toothed drive ring at the front, to the less-frequently toothed one that was, in the case of the RH lever, marked for a specific number of speeds.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:35 pm 

I just hope that Graeme is right in his assumption as to what the OP has. That wonderfully comprehensive answer must have taken 1/2 hr to type up.

OP, why don't you tell us the year of the Record shifter that you have. There have been Record Ergo shifters around for about 25+ years now.

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:07 am 

I think he covered pretty much everything up to but not including the newest 11 speed stuff. Great post.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:07 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:34 am 

Great post thank you for your answer,

You was correct i have a centaur front mech so it is very slightly differn't, i have got it working nicely with 4 clicks i only find myself trimming the 53-25 on the the top so its perfect and does well, i just have a bit of extra trimming control, the mechanic has a play, i just assumed they were both indexed so just do their own thing given a bit of tension.