Cannondale CAAD10 - Stem Torque for Carbon Steer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

steelandbananas

by steelandbananas

Hello hello,
I was wondering how tight I should tighten my stem on the carbon steer of my fork ?

The stem (Zipp) says 5nm but that seems a too tight.
Scared I crush the steer !

To all CAAD10 owners - what do you recommend ?

I was thinking about 4nm or is that also too much ?

Cheers and thanks for helping !!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gtinut

by gtinut

I use 3.5 Nm but I use beam style torque wrench.

Hamfist

by Hamfist

5nm. You won't crush the steerer but I would also recommend that you get a good torque wrench. I have this one from Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5ZL2EG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

grover

by grover

CAAD10 steerer is designed to have zero spacers above stem and relies on the compression plug and cap it comes with to support the inside of the steerer underneath the stem.

The steerer will cope with 5nm when used with the correct headset compression assembly.

If I wasn't using the specific headset compression assembly I'd be inclined to use a 5mm spacer above the stem so that it wasn't clamping right on top of the steerer. It steerer should still cope with 5nm but it depends on the stem clamp slot. Square edge vs rounded edge, angled slit versus vertical slit, opposing bolts versus single sided bolts.

Remember that with lots of grease on the bolt threads it will read a lower torque. Some assembly compound (carbon paste) between stem and steerer is a good idea to stop movement with lower torque. The stem probably won't slip at 4nm with assembly compound and grease on threads.

evan326

by evan326

Just don't make the stupid mistake I did with my hylix seatpost.
Teflon grease is one of the slickest around. I only lowered my torque by 25% and crushed it. After looking it up Teflon grease requires a torque reduction of 50%

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I wouldn't be worried using 5 NM or a tad under it, but I would be against using any compounds between the steerer and stem.

steelandbananas

by steelandbananas

grover wrote:CAAD10 steerer is designed to have zero spacers above stem and relies on the compression plug and cap it comes with to support the inside of the steerer underneath the stem.

The steerer will cope with 5nm when used with the correct headset compression assembly.

If I wasn't using the specific headset compression assembly I'd be inclined to use a 5mm spacer above the stem so that it wasn't clamping right on top of the steerer. It steerer should still cope with 5nm but it depends on the stem clamp slot. Square edge vs rounded edge, angled slit versus vertical slit, opposing bolts versus single sided bolts.

Remember that with lots of grease on the bolt threads it will read a lower torque. Some assembly compound (carbon paste) between stem and steerer is a good idea to stop movement with lower torque. The stem probably won't slip at 4nm with assembly compound and grease on threads.

That's the kind of answer I was looking for, thanks ! :)
So does that mean I should only use the cannondale expander or what do you mean with "using the specific headset compression assembly" ?

Thanks y'all for the great advice !

Fiery

by Fiery

Just use the Cannondale expander per manufacturer's instructions and don't worry about it. No reason not to, with the newer version being just 12 grams for the whole thing (compression plug and top cap).

evan326

by evan326

You don't mean this do you? Send me a link to the 12g one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hamfist

by Hamfist

I should've mentioned that I don't lube them and I use the stock top cap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com