Replace Ridley Damocles with De Rosa Protos?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

Hello everybody. i was a fairly active forum participant a while back, but i lost my account info. and have just been lurking. but now i have a question

i'm looking at a FANTASTIC deal on a Protos, and thinking about replacing the damocles.
The Look 585 is staying, even though the damocles is stiffer (and 1 pound heavier).

i'm just wondering if i will notice enough of a difference between the damocles and the protos to make it worth it.
the protos frame is only 250 grams lighter according to the shop where i'd be getting the protos, and from whom i purchased the damocles.

kind of a vague, unquantifiable question

i was also looking at the colnago v1-r, but i'd need new brakes

i'm also contemplating the whole disc brake-fatter tire-road/off-road, dual use option. but i'd probably need a new, medium/long cage rear deralleur

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I would go for it without second thoughts!

jasonh

by jasonh

a bit of a late reply, however I would say fit is a big issue. damocleses had a very long reach to the best of my recollection

Seedster

by Seedster

I love my protos! very aggressive and stiff

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Catagory6 wrote:i was also looking at the colnago v1-r, but i'd need new brakes

The V1-r frameset comes with brakes.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

Mockenrue wrote:
Catagory6 wrote:i was also looking at the colnago v1-r, but i'd need new brakes

The V1-r frameset comes with brakes.

oh well, too late.

i think i made the right decision though
got the Protos incoming
and the X-small Damocles was ever so slightly too short with a 110 stem
fantastic bike frameset though.
rock freak'n SOLID front end!!

Catagory6

by Catagory6

built up the Protos a while back, and just encountered a very scary chain-suck issue.
the tolerance between the down tube and the chain rings is SO tight, that the chain gets easily stuck, and i had to use quite a bit of force to release the wedged chain.
thankfully, i didn't damage the carbon, as far as i can tell.
but i was wondering if its normal for this frame to build up with such tight tolerances between the down tube and the chain rings
campy chorus 11-speed if it matters

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Catagory6 wrote:built up the Protos a while back, and just encountered a very scary chain-suck issue.
the tolerance between the down tube and the chain rings is SO tight, that the chain gets easily stuck, and i had to use quite a bit of force to release the wedged chain.
but i was wondering if its normal for this frame to build up with such tight tolerances between the down tube and the chain rings

2016+ Campy? Just wondering how the chain dropped if so. Did you click twice to quickly?

Catagory6

by Catagory6

jmagoulas wrote:
Catagory6 wrote:built up the Protos a while back, and just encountered a very scary chain-suck issue.

2016+ Campy? Just wondering how the chain dropped if so. Did you click twice to quickly?

2014-ish campy. dropped the chain while working on the bike. not riding.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

Seedster wrote:I love my protos! very aggressive and stiff

curious what components you used, and the final weight.

i'm kind of surprised mine came in at 16-1/2 lbs. a full pound heavier than my Look 585 with nearly identical build.
chorus 11-speed, HED Belgium on the Protos, vs Record 10-speed, Pacenti sl23 on the 585

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Seedster

by Seedster

Hi,

I use mostly WR Compositi and campagnolo parts for my build. bike is a size 59 and has custom paint. It is sitting at around 15.5lbs. i could have gone lighter but i was more concerned with stiffness and keeping it as italian as possible.

My build thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141972