Pro vibe sprint stem decal removal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Building my track bike for racing and was looking at the pro vibe sprint stem but I'm not so won over by the graphics, can they be removed with acetone or would I need to sand it down and reapply some lacquer?
Many thanks, Tom

Fixie82

by Fixie82

You will need to sand the Pro Vibe Sprint. I've done a couple and it takes about an hour to go through the steps. I painted the top cap and the face plate to get rid of the white decals on those.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomColnago

by TomColnago

thanks for the reply fixie, what did you use to sand it? fine sandpaper? Also do you mind posting a picture of the finished product as I'd like to see what it comes out like :thumbup:

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

Fixie82 wrote:You will need to sand the Pro Vibe Sprint. I've done a couple and it takes about an hour to go through the steps. I painted the top cap and the face plate to get rid of the white decals on those.

I thought about doing this but was too afraid, can you post the necessary steps/tools? Pretty plz? :oops:

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Here are some pics showing the stem, not the best but it's what I have while I'm at work. Should give you a good idea of the finished product.

Has for how to do it, here is what I did;

You will need some Wet and Dry sandpaper in various grits (I wouldn't go lower than 400 and you will need to go up to at least 1200 or 1500 for a smooth finish). I used a mask to protect against dust and also use gloves.

Start at 400 to remove the bulk of the clear coat and decals, you can tell if there is still clear coat or decal as the dust will be white in appearance. When you hit carbon the dust changes to black. Once the majority of clear coat and decal has been removed proceed to a finer grit and repeat, wet the paper down to reduce dust and provide a smother finish. These steps are to reduce the appearance of fine scratches. Keep going until you reach 1200 or 1500.

Once it's finished clean the stem really well by washing and cleaning with either alcohol or other paint prep product. I used a matte finish clear coat from a rattle can or you could protect with 303 and reapply as needed.

I painted over the white eventually with a paint pen as I liked the silver cutouts on the face plate.

TomColnago

by TomColnago

That stem looks great on the bike and thanks for giving the steps :thumbup: much appreciated

brownish

by brownish

Thank you for sharing this process.

What brand of clear coat did you use and how is it holding up?

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Hi Brownish, I used a Matte clear from the paint store can't remember the brand unfortunately but it's held up really well. Just need to do the prep work fine sanding for a good finish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com