Sram Red Aerolink stress fractures

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I snapped the Aerolink arm on one of my Aerolink brakes this weekend when bolting on a new brake cable. It surprised me that the metal would snap like that.

When I went on eBay to see about buying a replacement rear, I found another person selling one that had broken in the same place. It got me thinking, so I checked my other bikes - I have Aerolinks on three bikes.

I found stress fractures on two more brakes in the same place - both on the same bike. I'm glad I found it now and not when going downhill or something.

Anyway, I suggest checking yours to make sure you don't have a disaster waiting.

Shrike

by Shrike

Subbing, got these brakes a few weeks ago..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

which model/year?

picture would be good too

gtinut

by gtinut

what are first digits of serial number?

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I'll try to remember to get pics and Serial Nos. when I get home tonight.

The one set with the stress fractures is the original version from 2012, when Sram updated Red 10spd and said they weren't doing 11spd.

I did call Sram about it to let them know - I am way out of warranty on them. Torque specs are 6-8nm. I had not been using a torque wrench before this, but I will be going forward.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

:shock:

Not good. I wouldn't worry about the warranty. I bet Sram would be quite happy to send you some new brakes ASAP.

As for the torque numbers, 8 nm is massive just to hold a cable. I bet 4-5 nm would hold it secure. Regardless, nothing should cause a caliper arm to fracture.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

sungod

by sungod

if you've got multiple calipers with the same sign of trouble, it's either them or, ahem, you

either way, it needs raising with sram to assess the cause and any action needed

glad you found out in safe conditions, brake failure on a descent is something i hate to imagine

fwiw i've got 2010 red calipers, the instructions also say 6-8Nm for the clamp bolt, i'm pretty sure i set the wrench at 6 and a bit then test by squeezing levers ***hard***

topflightpro

by topflightpro

sungod wrote:if you've got multiple calipers with the same sign of trouble, it's either them or, ahem, you

I am more than willing to admit that I probably over torqued them.

That said, the one that actually snapped, I had bought used, and this was the first time I was installing them. Fortunately, I did not see any stress fracture on the front one.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Here are two photos of the stress fractures. The broken brake is at the LBS.

IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_1898.JPG

meanmachine

by meanmachine

hi¡¡¡
i broke mine (front brake) in the same place, like you, when i was bolting,
now I always put some grease into the bolt

rgrds

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com