Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:56 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 pm
Posts: 9
Hi there im just looking for information, I was given a set of bora ultra two dark label and i was wondering is it normal to have all black spokes in the front wheel except for one witch is silver,

And the rear wheel has 2 silver ones

im just wondering have they been repaired or is this standard thanks again

Hugh


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:48 am
Posts: 30
Location: sydney, australia
from googling images of bora ultra two wheels, i couldn't find any with silver spokes, so i suspect your hunch about repairs may be correct.

but i have been wrong before (i think i was three at the time... :D)


Top
   
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:08 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 pm
Posts: 9
doogie2304 wrote:
from googling images of bora ultra two wheels, i couldn't find any with silver spokes, so i suspect your hunch about repairs may be correct.

but i have been wrong before (i think i was three at the time... :D)



Thanks for the reply i have been looking at the pictures myself and cant find the silver spokes but i must say the wheels look and run perfect?? could the be an older model?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Posts: 4746
How old are your Boras? I started using them in 2010, when they began balancing the rims in the carbon layup. But before that I seem to recall them using some special spokes to balance things better. Are they located opposite the valve hole or at the valve hole?

_________________
Colnago C60 - PR99
C59 Five Years Later
My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 pm
Posts: 9
Calnago wrote:
How old are your Boras? I started using them in 2010, when they began balancing the rims in the carbon layup. But before that I seem to recall them using some special spokes to balance things better. Are they located opposite the valve hole or at the valve hole?



Im not sure of the age but you are right in saying they are opposite the valve in both cases, on the rear wheel the 2 silver ones are opposite the valve and on the drive side. and one single silver spoke opposite the valve on the front all the silver spokes are more rounded spokes whereas the black ones are all aero

thanks for your reply


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:29 am
Posts: 234
They did use thicker spokes as balance, but they were also black. The dark label is pretty recent, I think 2012 and newer. Campy replacement spokes are hard to source, and sold in a minus of like 6, very pricey. When I popped a spoke I used a sapaim spoke until I could source the correct spoke.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:16 pm
Posts: 620
Location: Irvine, CA
I have 5 pair of bora one and ultra's. None have a single silver spoke.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Posts: 4746
Yes, the dark labels weren't introduced until 2011 or 2012 I believe, but I suppose new labels could have been easily applied.
@mnmasotto: are your Boras older than 2010? 2010 they transitioned the model a bit and after that they didn't use the special weighted spokes anymore. Still, I would have thought that the special spokes would also have been black... but I just can't remember for sure. I do think they were round however, and they may have made silver ones, not sure. Boras were just something I looked at amusingly and wantingly back then.

_________________
Colnago C60 - PR99
C59 Five Years Later
My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 pm
Posts: 9
Calnago wrote:
Yes, the dark labels weren't introduced until 2011 or 2012 I believe, but I suppose new labels could have been easily applied.
@mnmasotto: are your Boras older than 2010? 2010 they transitioned the model a bit and after that they didn't use the special weighted spokes anymore. Still, I would have thought that the special spokes would also have been black... but I just can't remember for sure. I do think they were round however, and they may have made silver ones, not sure. Boras were just something I looked at amusingly and wantingly back then.



thanks for your help


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:04 am
Posts: 33
This may help
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63160&start=15

I have a Fulcrum Racing Speed which have those balancing silver spokes. They are two silver spokes on each wheel.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 pm
Posts: 9
brumbar wrote:
This may help
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63160&start=15

I have a Fulcrum Racing Speed which have those balancing silver spokes. They are two silver spokes on each wheel.



great thanks thats what i have allright , just one more question is there a weight limit on the boras ??

Thanks in advance


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:04 am
Posts: 33
This is from Campagnolo website


"All Campagnolo wheels are constructed to meet the highest standards of resistance and durability. If you weigh over 109 kg/240 lbs we advise you not to use this product. Non compliance with this warning can damage the product irreversibly. If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs). Check with your mechanic to discuss whether the wheels you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of inspections. Using tires with a larger diameter and a frame that respects the standards will help to increase the lifetime of the wheels"


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 pm
Posts: 9
brumbar wrote:
This is from Campagnolo website


"All Campagnolo wheels are constructed to meet the highest standards of resistance and durability. If you weigh over 109 kg/240 lbs we advise you not to use this product. Non compliance with this warning can damage the product irreversibly. If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs). Check with your mechanic to discuss whether the wheels you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of inspections. Using tires with a larger diameter and a frame that respects the standards will help to increase the lifetime of the wheels"



im 93 kg so i should be ok then thanks again for all your help


Top
   
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:54 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:34 am 
Offline
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 12:21 pm
Posts: 266
Location: UK
Snugship0 wrote:
Hi there im just looking for information, I was given a set of bora ultra two dark label and i was wondering is it normal to have all black spokes in the front wheel except for one witch is silver,

And the rear wheel has 2 silver ones

im just wondering have they been repaired or is this standard thanks again

Hugh


If someone has used Sapim straight-pulls, thinking they are the same (they're not, different dimensions and material though the dims difference is negligible) you will find them stamped "SAPIM" just on the shaft before it goes aero, at the head. If they look the same as the other spokes in the wheel and are silver, they're third party replacements, Campagnolo never used silver in Bora for the "standard" spokes. If the are round and heftier in the mid portion, they're the old balancing spokes that Campag don't use any more, having added mass into the rim instead, to do the same job.

If the wheels have been repaired, check carefully around the entry points of the spokes into the rim for "bulging" ... a small amount of outward bowing of the carbon at that point is normal but if there is a marked bulge, keep and eye on it - on older Boras (ie before 2015 models), it could be caused by a spoke being snagged, or something like that, in a crash, and a very high "pull" load being momentarily applied to the spoke, dragging the little load-spreading plate inside the rim down, very hard, into the "vee" so spreading the carbon. In 99% of cases it's OK but in a very few, you get cracks propogating away from the bulge.

Some repairers fail to get the spreader plates correctly aligned inside the rim (or even miss them out entirely) and that can also put a marked bulge the carbon. Again, keep an eye on the area if you see that (having verfied that the plate is a) there and b) aligned correctly). Misalignment, especially, can cause the rim wall to fail just "above" the entry point of the spoke.

_________________
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campag Bora Ultra two needs turing - whats the advice for taking care

in Road

ViggenNut

9

1305

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:37 pm

ab01ns View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra and Bora one 35

in Road

BiaNeutron

4

1712

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:30 pm

BiaNeutron View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Campagnolo Bora ultra two pre 2015 decals, dry or soap and water fit ?

in Road

ViggenNut

11

952

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:39 am

mvacolnago View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2018 CAMPAG HO RD vs 2015 CAMPAG RD

in Road

wwnick

0

489

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:11 am

wwnick View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. When is a Bora ONE 50 revamp expected?

in Road

Roark

14

1615

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Eclat View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], flafonta, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited