Need Help Please Campag Bora ultra two Dark Label

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Snugship0

by Snugship0

Hi there im just looking for information, I was given a set of bora ultra two dark label and i was wondering is it normal to have all black spokes in the front wheel except for one witch is silver,

And the rear wheel has 2 silver ones

im just wondering have they been repaired or is this standard thanks again

Hugh

doogie2304

by doogie2304

from googling images of bora ultra two wheels, i couldn't find any with silver spokes, so i suspect your hunch about repairs may be correct.

but i have been wrong before (i think i was three at the time... :D)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Snugship0

by Snugship0

doogie2304 wrote:from googling images of bora ultra two wheels, i couldn't find any with silver spokes, so i suspect your hunch about repairs may be correct.

but i have been wrong before (i think i was three at the time... :D)

Thanks for the reply i have been looking at the pictures myself and cant find the silver spokes but i must say the wheels look and run perfect?? could the be an older model?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

How old are your Boras? I started using them in 2010, when they began balancing the rims in the carbon layup. But before that I seem to recall them using some special spokes to balance things better. Are they located opposite the valve hole or at the valve hole?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Snugship0

by Snugship0

Calnago wrote:How old are your Boras? I started using them in 2010, when they began balancing the rims in the carbon layup. But before that I seem to recall them using some special spokes to balance things better. Are they located opposite the valve hole or at the valve hole?

Im not sure of the age but you are right in saying they are opposite the valve in both cases, on the rear wheel the 2 silver ones are opposite the valve and on the drive side. and one single silver spoke opposite the valve on the front all the silver spokes are more rounded spokes whereas the black ones are all aero

thanks for your reply

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

They did use thicker spokes as balance, but they were also black. The dark label is pretty recent, I think 2012 and newer. Campy replacement spokes are hard to source, and sold in a minus of like 6, very pricey. When I popped a spoke I used a sapaim spoke until I could source the correct spoke.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have 5 pair of bora one and ultra's. None have a single silver spoke.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, the dark labels weren't introduced until 2011 or 2012 I believe, but I suppose new labels could have been easily applied.
@mnmasotto: are your Boras older than 2010? 2010 they transitioned the model a bit and after that they didn't use the special weighted spokes anymore. Still, I would have thought that the special spokes would also have been black... but I just can't remember for sure. I do think they were round however, and they may have made silver ones, not sure. Boras were just something I looked at amusingly and wantingly back then.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Snugship0

by Snugship0

Calnago wrote:Yes, the dark labels weren't introduced until 2011 or 2012 I believe, but I suppose new labels could have been easily applied.
@mnmasotto: are your Boras older than 2010? 2010 they transitioned the model a bit and after that they didn't use the special weighted spokes anymore. Still, I would have thought that the special spokes would also have been black... but I just can't remember for sure. I do think they were round however, and they may have made silver ones, not sure. Boras were just something I looked at amusingly and wantingly back then.

thanks for your help

brumbar

by brumbar

This may help
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63160&start=15

I have a Fulcrum Racing Speed which have those balancing silver spokes. They are two silver spokes on each wheel.

Snugship0

by Snugship0

brumbar wrote:This may help
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63160&start=15

I have a Fulcrum Racing Speed which have those balancing silver spokes. They are two silver spokes on each wheel.

great thanks thats what i have allright , just one more question is there a weight limit on the boras ??

Thanks in advance

brumbar

by brumbar

This is from Campagnolo website

"All Campagnolo wheels are constructed to meet the highest standards of resistance and durability. If you weigh over 109 kg/240 lbs we advise you not to use this product. Non compliance with this warning can damage the product irreversibly. If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs). Check with your mechanic to discuss whether the wheels you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of inspections. Using tires with a larger diameter and a frame that respects the standards will help to increase the lifetime of the wheels"

Snugship0

by Snugship0

brumbar wrote:This is from Campagnolo website

"All Campagnolo wheels are constructed to meet the highest standards of resistance and durability. If you weigh over 109 kg/240 lbs we advise you not to use this product. Non compliance with this warning can damage the product irreversibly. If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs). Check with your mechanic to discuss whether the wheels you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of inspections. Using tires with a larger diameter and a frame that respects the standards will help to increase the lifetime of the wheels"

im 93 kg so i should be ok then thanks again for all your help

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Snugship0 wrote:Hi there im just looking for information, I was given a set of bora ultra two dark label and i was wondering is it normal to have all black spokes in the front wheel except for one witch is silver,

And the rear wheel has 2 silver ones

im just wondering have they been repaired or is this standard thanks again

Hugh

If someone has used Sapim straight-pulls, thinking they are the same (they're not, different dimensions and material though the dims difference is negligible) you will find them stamped "SAPIM" just on the shaft before it goes aero, at the head. If they look the same as the other spokes in the wheel and are silver, they're third party replacements, Campagnolo never used silver in Bora for the "standard" spokes. If the are round and heftier in the mid portion, they're the old balancing spokes that Campag don't use any more, having added mass into the rim instead, to do the same job.

If the wheels have been repaired, check carefully around the entry points of the spokes into the rim for "bulging" ... a small amount of outward bowing of the carbon at that point is normal but if there is a marked bulge, keep and eye on it - on older Boras (ie before 2015 models), it could be caused by a spoke being snagged, or something like that, in a crash, and a very high "pull" load being momentarily applied to the spoke, dragging the little load-spreading plate inside the rim down, very hard, into the "vee" so spreading the carbon. In 99% of cases it's OK but in a very few, you get cracks propogating away from the bulge.

Some repairers fail to get the spreader plates correctly aligned inside the rim (or even miss them out entirely) and that can also put a marked bulge the carbon. Again, keep an eye on the area if you see that (having verfied that the plate is a) there and b) aligned correctly). Misalignment, especially, can cause the rim wall to fail just "above" the entry point of the spoke.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!