Qxl and Q rings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TomColnago

by TomColnago

I've been a long time use of rotors oval rings and have always wanted to try the Qxls but with a 130bcd chainset the qxl is only avaliable in 53/40. Would shifting be affected if I used a qxl out and a q ring inner? Many thanks, Tom

rossjm11

by rossjm11

Theoretically it should work as they are just different ovalizations. I used a round outer with an internal oval because I found it helped my climbing and it shifted and such just fine. Though, you will probably notice shifting not quite as great as two round.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lewolive

by lewolive

TomColnago wrote:I've been a long time use of rotors oval rings and have always wanted to try the Qxls but with a 130bcd chainset the qxl is only avaliable in 53/40. Would shifting be affected if I used a qxl out and a q ring inner? Many thanks, Tom

I have done this successfully for the mountain and it works, even a 53*36. Shifting must be adjusted and chain length must be properly chosen.
The main issue is on feelings, it's hard to find the good pedal stroke when you change from the 53 to the 36T, still need a few miles to get used to this setup.
If you ride long climbs, it's fine, if you climb hills, it's better to find bigger rings on your cassette and keep 53*40 QXL.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Actually I run that now... I changed my big ring to the QXL after about 15,000 miles and my inner ring was barely used so I just kept it. I actually feel like the QXL is much stiffer then my original Q and it shifts perfectly between the two....

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Thanks for the advice guys, being a bigger built guy I stick to crits and flat races so the inner ring is mainly redundant but will head for the hills for training so the 39 is a must. Been looking at a rotor dealer in the UK and they will do spider conversion so maybe get a 110bcd and use a full qxl set up