Edco Monobloc : chain skip after new chain install on only 1 cog

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Just as narrow as 6th. Maybe wait till chain stretches more?

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Delorre wrote:You see there is a little less material as on other cogs. It's def. chain skip, because it runs very smoothlty on the workstand and at moderate efforts.

It does look like it has a little more of a shark tooth profile to it, as if it was more worn. With a worn chain running primarily on that one sprocket, I could see that happening. In addition to the chain checking device that someone mentioned above, Park Tool also makes a cassette checker, that can identify worn sprockets. You have to play around with it a bit on a new vs. a very worn cassette to get a feel for how it works, but it is pretty decent in my experience at identifying if your wear is beyond the point of no return.
Last edited by TheKaiser on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

i wouldn't call that worn. i don't get how 7(?) links of chain could slip on that cog.
but I'm no expert.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

It's surprising how the cassette & chain become one with each other. Such that even a new chain of the same brand can skip.

Try riding this chain a couple more rides. If no improvment, try a different chain. If still no improvement, now it's the cassette for sure.

Delorre

by Delorre

Short update : I continued to use the new chain with that cassette. Chain has 900km now, and the last 600km or so were almost trouble free. I still get some very occasional skip on the 15T from a standing start with lots of torque, or on all-out efforts combined with bad roads, but it's OK for me. We will see how it goes on when the cassette wears down... I'm still very dispointed in the durability of the Edco, and will continue using a Record cassette on my summer bike, for sure!!

C36

by C36

Delorre wrote:Short update : I continued to use the new chain with that cassette. Chain has 900km now, and the last 600km or so were almost trouble free. I still get some very occasional skip on the 15T from a standing start with lots of torque, or on all-out efforts combined with bad roads, but it's OK for me. We will see how it goes on when the cassette wears down... I'm still very dispointed in the durability of the Edco, and will continue using a Record cassette on my summer bike, for sure!!

Hi Delorre, any update? I had the Edco cassette considered based on some more positive comments from other friends.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Is that a Wipperman chain? As Race engineer for Cervelo TestTeam in 2010, I found it incompatible with early SRAM Red cassettes. It would skip in a few gears, only under high power. Sounds like your experience.

That was a real bummer at the time, because the team could have used the money from Wipperman's sponsorship!

If you have a different chain, maybe try that. The team's SRAM chains were fine. I bet Shimano would have been too.

Or, as your experience suggests, your Wipperman could wear in as you ride more.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

F45

by F45

I wonder what kind of case hardening they do on that cassette. Being solid steel, there are tons of options. I'd nitride it black. Or maybe they just forgot to harden yours.

Gold Knight

by Gold Knight

Edco cassette update?
:smartass: DO NOT RIDE AN AX-LIGHTNESS FORK :smartass:

Delorre

by Delorre

Gold Knight wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:54 pm
Edco cassette update?
I've used the cassette during the summer and fall on the disc bike for something like 2000km's without much issues and skipp. But shifting quality is poorer than campy or shimano.

spud

by spud

Second the opinion that shifting is second rate. I changed the chain from ultregra to KMC when my chain got to 12.125 inches. The KMC shifts a little better but I am getting skipping on one cog, the rest are fine. I'm going to keep riding the Edco cluster for a while to see if the skip improves, but having tried one out, between the daft ratios on a 11-29 and a skipping cog, I'm not going to buy another one. When this cluster is done, I'm putting on a matching Ultegra and will just deal with the notched cassette body.