Repurpose of downtube shifter holes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Slicknicklabel

by Slicknicklabel

So I scooped up a complete bike off CL. Was mismatched and just plain ugly. Thought Id do a makeover from top to bottom and create something either I'll enjoy or for someone else.

Bike is older. Have no idea exact age or manufacturer. Came with a 1055 Shimano groupset. Original?, hell iunno. If anyone has an idea of what this bike is, feel free to scream it out. So off with the early 90s equipment and lets later fit something a little more modern.

My first thought, weld up the holes where the downtube shifters were. Then, I order some Giant TCR internal cable guides and figured I'd repurpose the holes to fit these. And so that's what happened.

First step, was to remove the posts that held the downtube shifters. Hacksaw and a few files made quick work of this. Guide stencil was created and traced on the frame. Dremel'd the hole out large enough for a file to fit inside. Filed the holes to desired shape and size. Test fit & success.

Feedback welcomed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slicknicklabel

by Slicknicklabel

Tough crowd here :lol:

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

That's a good finish on those guide holes. Looking forward to seeing how the Giant TCR guides interface.

I see the bike in the top pic was blue, then the middle pics are bare aluminum, so I am assuming you stripped the paint. What about the white finish in the bottom? Did you prime it already before doing this work, or am I missing something?

kulivontot

by kulivontot

What exactly was wrong with installing a couple of these guys?

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Above, good question. Because with those you can actually adjust - on the fly - small shifting issues that come up while riding.

Slicknicklabel

by Slicknicklabel

I wanted internal cable routing, something a little more modern. Those post adjusters still would date the frame. As far as the blue, to bare, to white color change. The frame was stripped, then sanded down. I shot some white on it to see if I liked it white. I'm still ify on white. The frame will go to powder coat once all the frame modifications are made. Still some sanding left to do on the welds to smooth them out a bit.

TheKaiser thanks for the encouraging words. I'll continue to post pics of progress.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Every time I do internal cable routing, I wish for death. And that's on frames that were built for it. So the prospect of modifying a budget frame specifically for that purpose seems a bit out there for me. But kudos to you for giving the the bike a new life. The finishing looks flawless so far.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Why not install bosses as above. Right STI, new tyres, bartape and ride the hell out of it, why destroy not that bad lacquer?

Slicknicklabel

by Slicknicklabel

Who said anything about destroying it? Its a project bike. I'm kind of the "build it" don't "buy it" type guy.

Purchased parts list includes:

Bontrager Race 53/39 Crankset
Bontrager Race X Lite Wheels 16 Bladed Spoke - DT Swiss 240 Hubs
Bontrager Race VR Handlebars
Bontrager 130mm Stem
Bontrager Speed Aero Bottle
Shimano Ultegra 6800 F/R Calipers 6800
Velo Orange Grand Cru Noir Headset
Van Dessel Bladed Carbon Fork

Wish me luck as the build continues. Should turn out to be a respectable "budget" build.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Your.brakes wheelset are fine. These dual pivots are just as good, just invest in good pads

Slicknicklabel

by Slicknicklabel

Quick update.

Pilot holes were drilled for the screw that secures the internal cable guides. Today's progress was filing and sanding down welds. Few select files, small sponge and 800 grit wet/dry paper. I think its turning out great. Not bad for a "budget" frame build. Some before, during and after pics below.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com